Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Worried about Children in Abusive and Neglectful Homes

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 5:07 am
When I think about the quarantine, I start thinking about the children where school was their only escape or happy place. And it breaks my heart.
It breaks my heart to think of innocent children suffering at hands of abusive or neglectful parents/family. Do they have enough food? Are they going hungry? Are they hopefully not being beaten or physically hurt? Are they being verbally abused?
I'm posting this to remind people to look out for such children. (I wish we'd know who they are). But if you know a neighbor, friend or family in a vulnerable position like this, please look out for their children.
Children deserve only love. They deserve physical and emotional nurturing as a birthright.
May G-d remove all suffering especially from the innocent and helpless.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 5:22 am
Thank you for your post. I grew up in such a home and I shudder to think of how I would manage if this happened to me as a child.

I am sending hugs to all such children.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 5:28 am
amother [ Lime ] wrote:
Thank you for your post. I grew up in such a home and I shudder to think of how I would manage if this happened to me as a child.

I am sending hugs to all such children.

I also started thinking about that.

I feel like we all know someone who might be a child of abusive parents. Maybe we can somehow send a message to our kids' friends, that if they need an escape they can come stay with us. My only question is how that works legally, because the parents will either be glad to have the child off their hands, or very very angry and vengeful.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 6:05 am
In the UK public school remains open to kids of healthcare personnel and other essential workers and those in compromised family situations.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 6:07 am
I'm gonna have my daughter call her friend (from a dysfunctional home) to say Hi. She's a little kid so I can't specifically ask her to look out for anything, but I can hopefully glean some info in regards to food and how she seems (thankfully not an abusive home, but still dysfunctional).

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 6:17 am
Yes. My siblings discussed this the other day. Because we were imagining how our parents would’ve dealt with this situation and that made us realize that there are others out there we need to look out for

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 6:20 am
My sister is an abusive parent like that. I can't even help out right now because I have a low-grade fever and cough/congestion and don't know if I'm sick or not (could be just allergies, I always get them this time of the year.) Plus he has behavioral issues and it's very difficult to have him in any case....

makes me heartsick to think of these kids. I grew up like this, and worked really hard to break the cycle of abuse. Even in a functional home like mine, my kids are going a bit stir crazy and it's not easy to be stuck at home.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 7:38 am
Hashem, the biggest Baal Rachmonos, has placed these children in these conditions and also planned the corona shutdown. We can't understand The Great Plan, and we shouldn't even try. However, if there's anything you can do as an outsider in this situation, kol hakavod.

(This coming from a survivor of parental abuse and vividly remembering chodesh nissan at home as my mom's personal punch bag.)

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 9:55 am
this thread touched my heart. I am from a completely dysfunctional abusive home. It would have been gehinom for me.
there is another group of people we want to remember.
The abused wives.
we can reach them here on imamother.
lets give them support because we can.
show them we are rooting for them.
that we care for them.
and davening for their geula.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 10:19 am
OP I admire u and embarrassed I havent thought of it .
I grew up in a dysfunctional home . Long vacation were the hardest for us . Our family never went anywhere . We literally had to occupy ourselves.
Erev yom tov was always a huge stress and I was happy to have school till last minute
I'm happy I can give my children the love and warmth and play games with them and see their smiles !!
We have to look out and call our friends or make our children call their friends.
I dont really want to take another child in to my house right now for health concerns but I wish I could .

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 11:59 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
Hashem, the biggest Baal Rachmonos, has placed these children in these conditions and also planned the corona shutdown. We can't understand The Great Plan, and we shouldn't even try. However, if there's anything you can do as an outsider in this situation, kol hakavod.

(This coming from a survivor of parental abuse and vividly remembering chodesh nissan at home as my mom's personal punch bag.)

Are we sisters?

What I'm doing is, talking to my sister on the phone - I think if she feels supported, she's easier on the kids....

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 12:18 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
My sister is an abusive parent like that. I can't even help out right now because I have a low-grade fever and cough/congestion and don't know if I'm sick or not (could be just allergies, I always get them this time of the year.) Plus he has behavioral issues and it's very difficult to have him in any case....

makes me heartsick to think of these kids. I grew up like this, and worked really hard to break the cycle of abuse. Even in a functional home like mine, my kids are going a bit stir crazy and it's not easy to be stuck at home.

You can't be my sister because my other sister isn't yet eligible to join imamother....

But you sound like you could be my sister.

Or maybe you're me?

It's so sad that there are so many families like this... Sad

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 12:19 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:

Nissan was my mother's punch bag too. Horrible horrible month. Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics