Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What is the goal of remote learning
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 3:36 pm
As a teacher what do you view the goal of this remote learning is
1. Kids to actually learn something
2. Impart information to the kids- lecture style
3.keep the kids busy and connected
4. Keep the parents happy that their tuition dollars are going into use.

Asking as a parent and teacher. Ideally , option 1 would be the goal- and as I teacher I have/had that goal. I kah have many kids and listening to their classes - teachers are just throwing out info- which will go on one ear and out the other. Or some teachers are focusing on option 3 or 4

I know this is trying circumstances and definitely not ideal, wondering what the goal is.

We all are putting HOURS into recreating our curriculum

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 4:16 pm
Can't talk for anyone else, my kids have very minimal school work (I'm in Lakewood so no online classes!)
1- it keeps kids busy at least part of the day
2- creates some structure/schedule
3- for little kids they don't forget what they just learnt in school, they practice kriah/reading/math
4- it gives the message to the kids that we are not on vacation
5- they really are learning ,my big girls are getting great classes on emuna and bitachon and getting ready for pessach that they wouldn't listen to otherwise!

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 4:59 pm
I’m noticing that different people on here have different goals.

As a teacher and parent I have 2 goals.
A. Keep kids from losing skills. Kriah, mult, reading. Whatever they’re upto.
B. It structures the day and gives something concrete to do. Kids have a sense of responsibility

thriver

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 5:10 pm
It’s only just the beginning. IyH it should become more smooth and you can continue tweaking as it goes along. From watching my kids today, I think teachers’ expectations need to shift. Perhaps they should do more of a lesson without kids’ involvement at first and then open the floor for the kids. From what I’ve seen, you can’t hear anything over everyone. Today was only day one so I’m sure things will be tweaked. Give it time. It’s a learning experience for all of us.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 5:13 pm
I’m a parent. One goal I hope my children learn is the ability to adapt to changes. Things have been the same way they’ve always been for their whole lives and I feel like they are stepping up to the challenge (albeit slowly) of remote learning and not being able to do things they want to do. Of course, staying up to date with school work is also important as well. But them understanding that our lives are temporarily (G-d willing) upheaved for the better of others, strangers, is really something I want them to get out of this. Their teachers have been really great and allowing the students to voice their opinions and concerns and thoughts, which I really appreciate.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 5:16 pm
I’m a teacher. I’m teaching my regular curriculum and holding students responsible in the normal ways for the most part.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 5:34 pm
My daughter is having school over the phone and finding it simultaneously boring and overwhelming. She’s been losing it so I’m letting her skip it for a bit and then we’ll try again. There is so much potential for stress during this time, and my goal is to keep a calm and happy house, which I think I am so far succeeding in doing.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 5:50 pm
im a preschool teacher my goal is for the kids to learn about Pesach and make a haggada have it for their pesach seder.

keep them connected to their friends and to me- our classroom was like a family. and the kids get so excited to see their friends. I give them time at the end to talk to their friends.

keep them entertained for a little bit

miami85

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 6:40 pm
I think it is to keep the environment of learning, maintaining a connection to their students as they won't be seeing each other until the school year is almost over--if then. Learning a bit about pesach. So far my kids are adjusting well, I've been around during their 45 minute classes on zoom. Both teachers are very new to this type of technology and both kids have sizeable classes, but so far seems to be going well--3 days in. It's definitely a learning curve for everyone as the kids learn how to talk and listen and use computers for the first time. (Even though they've done FaceTime before they were not very good at it). In Zoom the teacher can mute and unmute kids as needed so there's less background noise and the teacher can talk--I bet they love that!

Though my kids school did not officially arrange for a Zoom time for the preschool, a parent in my preschooler's class arranged it so that they could talk and schmooze with their teacher and friends. IT was really cute.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 6:54 pm
I'm a parent...I honestly don't get the whole remote learning for pre school or high school. Pre school just needs too much parent assistance for it to be worthwhile, and HS students don't care enough to put in effort. I also don't love that teachers have to put in that much extra effort. For elementary I would do some worksheets or assigned work in the workbook.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 7:00 pm
The main goal is to avoid summer school.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 7:02 pm
I think some of it is logistical. You don't lose the year this way; you don't have to make up the days. I have a high school senior who might not be able to graduate without it.

It's not possible to teach the entire curriculum. I think the teachers are condensing and figuring out what pieces they can teach that will represent a whole. I think the balance of parental involvement needs to shift in some cases.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 8:03 pm
Im actually finding the remote learning very difficult. I have multiple children who all need assistance accessing multiple classes.
I’m also trying to work at least somewhat from home, but with the amount of work I’m losing I don’t know how I’ll pay tuition.
Except for maybe a short class each day, I’d prefer my kids were off until at least after pesach.
Despite all this this the teachers are doing an incredible job in very difficult circumstances.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 8:15 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
The main goal is to avoid summer school.

In NY State, they instituted the State of Emergency so there is no longer a required 180 day school year.

The purpose is generally to keep the students progressing as much as they can with the resources that the schools have available and or can afford to do tmfor their students.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 8:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
As a teacher what do you view the goal of this remote learning is
1. Kids to actually learn something
2. Impart information to the kids- lecture style
3.keep the kids busy and connected
4. Keep the parents happy that their tuition dollars are going into use.

Asking as a parent and teacher. Ideally , option 1 would be the goal- and as I teacher I have/had that goal. I kah have many kids and listening to their classes - teachers are just throwing out info- which will go on one ear and out the other. Or some teachers are focusing on option 3 or 4

I know this is trying circumstances and definitely not ideal, wondering what the goal is.

We all are putting HOURS into recreating our curriculum

The goal is for school to keep going on regular schedule for the same reasons we have school in all other times.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 9:30 pm
Personally I think the recordings are a waste of time and am only doing it because admin requires it . If we were doing zoom or something interactive I would see more of a purpose in it than me giving a dry lecture to the phone.

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 10:54 pm
I want my kids to retain the important skills - math, kriah, etc. and the learning gives structure to their day. I honestly don’t care if the preschool kid doesn’t know mah nishtanah, he’ll learn it next year. Something that I loved is that my son’s Rebbe pre-recorded his class but made it interactive; taking attendance and calling out individual kids during the lesson. It kept my son engaged and made him feel so good.

cnc

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 10:57 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
In NY State, they instituted the State of Emergency so there is no longer a required 180 day school year.

The purpose is generally to keep the students progressing as much as they can with the resources that the schools have available and or can afford to do tmfor their students.

This is so interesting. Where can I find out more about the 180 day requirement not applying ?

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 11:17 pm
I am so impressed with the system that was put in place for my children to learn online pretty much overnight. I so appreciate the school's and teachers' commitment.
I hope they will learn a lot. I know it can't ever be at the level it would be in the classroom. That's ok. They get to see their teachers and friends and learn something and be productive. They get up and put on a uniform and daven and have structure and some kind of normalcy. This is amazing. B"H

tryinghard

Post Thu, Mar 19 2020, 11:28 pm
My kids’ school is doing a great job so far, and my kids love it. It’s so sad to see how excited they are to see their friends, they are starving for the social interaction and the sense of normalcy and the routine. The way the class schedule was set up makes my own schedule nearly impossible as I’m trying to plan activities for my 3 year old and work as well, but they are learning (at least a bit) and they are happy (at least a bit).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics