Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What is the goal of remote learning
Previous  1  2

Brachie69

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 12:41 am
cnc wrote:

This is so interesting. Where can I find out more about the 180 day requirement not applying ?

Here you go.
https://www.governor.ny.gov/ne.....weeks

Zehava

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 12:50 am
I’m completely leaving it up to my kids when/if they want to call in.
I think at this time we should focus more on emotional health for everyone, parents and kids, and less on academics.
It’s easier to catch up on academics than to heal trauma.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 1:26 am
I want my kids to learn about Pesach and feel connected to their friends and teachers. Its such a rich Yom Tov, and unfortunately I have neither the time nor the knowledge (on their grade level) to teach them. I'm ok with them not learning secular or other limudei kodesh subjects until Pesach.

saw50st8

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 7:51 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
As a teacher what do you view the goal of this remote learning is
1. Kids to actually learn something
2. Impart information to the kids- lecture style
3.keep the kids busy and connected
4. Keep the parents happy that their tuition dollars are going into use.

Asking as a parent and teacher. Ideally , option 1 would be the goal- and as I teacher I have/had that goal. I kah have many kids and listening to their classes - teachers are just throwing out info- which will go on one ear and out the other. Or some teachers are focusing on option 3 or 4

I know this is trying circumstances and definitely not ideal, wondering what the goal is.

We all are putting HOURS into recreating our curriculum

I have multiple goals.

1) I want my kids to keep learning. I want my kids to maintain their skills even if they don't progress as much as in school
2) I want my kids to stay connected to friends and teachers and the idea of school
3) I do want my kids kept busy. I'm working full time from home. I have a lot of flexibility with my hours but I do need time to actually get work done.

My kids school has a robust curriculum going. My middle schooler is in school 9-4 with meaningful learning. His teachers are really engaging and having discussions with the kids over zoom. It is kind of cool to see it working nicely. They already used Summit learning in their classroom for some independent learning so it is not such a big challenge.

My 5th and 3rd graders are still learning quite a bit. My 1st grader is having a difficult transition but still learning a lot.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics