Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Cuomo mandates all non-essential NY workforce stay home

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 11:36 am
All workers in non-essential businesses across New York state are required to stay home in an effort to combat the spread of the coronavirus pandemic, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced at a press conference Friday morning.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/20......html

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 11:41 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
All workers in non-essential businesses across New York state are required to stay home in an effort to combat the spread of the coronavirus pandemic, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced at a press conference Friday morning.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/20......html

Its not enough. He needs to issue a mandatory quarantine for everyone except health care and essential employees but is refusing to do so because he wants more federal funding and the only way to get that if there are more positive cases. He has blood on his hands at this point and I am not sure why no one is protesting his abuse of power and removing him from office or overriding him (especially since Deblasio already wanted to issue the mandatory quarantine but Cuomo said it was up to the state). Its ridiculous that they are making this about politics instead of saving as many lives as possible.

pg

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 11:55 am
I second that!! A petty childish fight between the mayor and govener matters more than people's health!! Unbelievable what politics has come to!

srbmom

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 12:07 pm
And it's not fair to the rest of the country. Right now 40% of the US cases are in NY state. If those people are still free to travel wherever they want it's going to be virtually unstoppable everywhere else soon too

SixOfWands

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 12:49 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
Its not enough. He needs to issue a mandatory quarantine for everyone except health care and essential employees but is refusing to do so because he wants more federal funding and the only way to get that if there are more positive cases. He has blood on his hands at this point and I am not sure why no one is protesting his abuse of power and removing him from office or overriding him (especially since Deblasio already wanted to issue the mandatory quarantine but Cuomo said it was up to the state). Its ridiculous that they are making this about politics instead of saving as many lives as possible.

Cuomo was begging people to stay home while DiBlasio still had the schools open, people in Brooklyn were screaming about how dare Cuomo suggest that shuls and schools shut down, its a conspiracy against Jews, and the federal government was telling us this is a Democratic hoax, we'd shut it all down already.

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 1:04 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Cuomo was begging people to stay home while DiBlasio still had the schools open, people in Brooklyn were screaming about how dare Cuomo suggest that shuls and schools shut down, its a conspiracy against Jews, and the federal government was telling us this is a Democratic hoax, we'd shut it all down already.

Schools were closed for a week now, Deblasio wanted to issue a mandatory quarantine but Cuomo stopped him and you are somehow blaming the federal govt? Cuomo made it clear that it was up to him to issue a mandatory quarantine but he has refused to do so.

I find it ironic that people who were working on impeaching Trump and were against him from day one now expect him to be the Messiah and save us all. But if Cuomo didnt allow Deblasio to issue a mandatory quarantine then what makes you think that he would allow Trump to issue it? The fact is that Cuomo wants federal funding and the only way to get it is to make sure that there are high amount of cases so he is not issuing a mandatory quarantine. That is an abuse of power and bringing up what happened two or three weeks ago is irrelevant and an unnecessary deflection from what is going on right now (especially since no one would have taken Trump seriously if he would have said to shut everything down three weeks ago).

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 1:07 pm
I'm just curious if I'm considered a mandatory worker. I'm a care coordinator, not really direct care although I typically see my clients on a monthly basis. Regardless of this I left NY already and am working remotely as best as I can.

amother
Natural

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 1:25 pm
Anyone know what businesses are considered essential?

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 2:19 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Anyone know what businesses are considered essential?

I think pharmacies, groceries and gas stations.

groovy1224

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 2:37 pm
What about banks?

Fave

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 2:50 pm
In the real estate industry, building service employees (porters, engineers) are considered essential employees

pause

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 3:16 pm
Essential businesses that can stay open include: grocers and restaurants, health care providers, pharmacies, gas stations, convenience stores, banks, hardware stores, laundromats and cleaners, child-care providers, auto repair shops, utility companies, warehouses and distributors, delivery services, plumbers and other skilled contractors, animal-care providers, transportation providers, construction companies and many kinds of manufacturers.

From a NYTimes article.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 5:38 pm
Chocolate shops.

How will we survive in quarantine without?

fleetwood

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 5:43 pm
groovy1224 wrote:
What about banks?

Yes. My husband is considered an essential employee.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics