Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Jews will be shomer shabbos this week
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 12:22 pm
I've heard this several times the past few days. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Sure people won't be driving and doing business, but the non religious will still be home using their TV's, phones, turning on lights, cooking, and who knows what else.

How is this being shomer shabbos?

icedcoffee

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 12:33 pm
You're correct, people are sharing it because it seems like a nice soundbite even though it doesn't make much sense.

shmosmom

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 12:34 pm
Exactly and what about Jews all around the world who don't know what shabbos is, or that don't know they're Jewish?

amother
Seagreen

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 12:37 pm
Plus, you can drive even under quarantine

Learning

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 12:42 pm
Exactly. I a lot of time feel that the religious authorities in Israel are completely out of touch.like saying they are happy that all the social life in israel is shut down. I think when people are dying it’s not a time to be happy. I just think this people are very out of touch with life outside the frum community and also must be not that smart. The secular people are not more religious or not more keeping anything because they can’t go out. You can do the same in your house.

avrahamama

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 1:28 pm
Why is everyone so cynical??? Why does everything that sounds nice and pure and good need to be trampled on? Ok so at least they won't drive. Any maybe they'll start contemplating their life and they'll read an AISH article or two. And then they'll be mekabel something. That's a big deal. Maybe they'll start shabbat one way and end it another. That counts for something too.

We don't need to nitpick everything. It's just so exhausting.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 1:45 pm
avrahamama wrote:
Why is everyone so cynical??? Why does everything that sounds nice and pure and good need to be trampled on? Ok so at least they won't drive. Any maybe they'll start contemplating their life and they'll read an AISH article or two. And then they'll be mekabel something. That's a big deal. Maybe they'll start shabbat one way and end it another. That counts for something too.

We don't need to nitpick everything. It's just so exhausting.

What’s exhausting is people throwing out false facts to fit their agenda. You can’t just say something that sounds nice and pure if it’s untrue. We all want Mashiach, but saying that everyone is keeping shabbos this week is not what’s going to do it. Just keep on davening and hoping. The things that are circulating are ridiculous and only causing more and more cynicism.

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 2:05 pm
They will be keeping a lot more than they normally do. Just one shabbos and we'll all be free! Let's make it happen people!!

Reality

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 2:09 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there is a difference between private and public desecration of shabbos.

There will certainly be much less public desecration of shabbos.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 2:15 pm

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 2:31 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:

I’m dumbfounded at how how people here don’t even think moshiach is coming?

avrahamama

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 2:51 pm
I guess it doesn't matter ... It takes all types of Jews to bring mashiach. I hope every single one of us has the zchut. All of Bnei Yisrael are tzadikim.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 2:55 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
I’m dumbfounded at how how people here don’t even think moshiach is coming?

Who doesn’t think Mashiach is coming? We just have no idea when. Hopefully very soon.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Mar 20 2020, 4:24 pm
amother [ Slategray ] wrote:
Who doesn’t think Mashiach is coming? We just have no idea when. Hopefully very soon.

I mean they don’t see what’s in front of their eyes and see he’s coming soon

DrMom

Post Sat, Mar 21 2020, 12:57 pm
Maybe we can throw all non-observant Jews in jail. Then they won't drive, and we restrict their electronics usage.

Won't that be wonderful?

sequoia

Post Sat, Mar 21 2020, 1:39 pm
Israel never has public transportation on shabbat. Isn’t that so?

grace413

Post Sat, Mar 21 2020, 1:44 pm
sequoia wrote:
Israel never has public transportation on shabbat. Isn’t that so?

There is public transportation in Haifa on Shabbat and public transportation in Tel Aviv starts before Shabbat is over.

sequoia

Post Sat, Mar 21 2020, 1:50 pm
Hmmm... I remember having to get to the airport motzei shabbos from Beer Sheva... it was a close call even though my flight was after midnight.

imasoftov

Post Sat, Mar 21 2020, 1:52 pm
grace413 wrote:
There is public transportation in Haifa on Shabbat and public transportation in Tel Aviv starts before Shabbat is over.

And in November, six lines began to run in Tel Aviv and to nearby cities.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/.....kend/

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sat, Mar 21 2020, 1:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've heard this several times the past few days. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Sure people won't be driving and doing business, but the non religious will still be home using their TV's, phones, turning on lights, cooking, and who knows what else.

How is this being shomer shabbos?

There is no chillul shabbas in public. all buses, theaters, restaurants, malls will all be closed by law in israel on shabbas. this is a first.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics