Home

Seminary next year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

OP

Post  Sun, Mar 22 2020, 3:02 am
I know its impossible to know what will be next week, let alone in a few months from now.
But I'm just wondering what others in this situation are doing.
My dd got into a seminary. They said that we needed to pay about 6k deposit to secure her spot. I did not send anything yet since I did not have the cash in hand, and a short while afterwards, the coronavirus thing exploded. Now, who knows If there will even be seminary next year?
This years seminary ended in a disaster as all the girls were sent home.
If your daughter was planning to go, have you paid yet? Do you think you will get your maney back if seminaries are cancelled?

Goldie613

Post  Tue, Mar 24 2020, 12:38 pm
I think the schools must be wondering that too. Someone I know is connected with a NY seminary and she was telling me she's not sure what's going to happen next year. They can't interview anyone now, have anyone come in to look at their program, etc, which might have normally meant lower numbers for next year. On the other hand, if people aren't comfortable travelling overseas, or if flying in general is still restricted, they may land up with a number of students that were planning to go to Israel but now are staying in NY.

imasinger

Post  Tue, Mar 24 2020, 12:43 pm
Many seminaries have policies about what they will refund and when; did yours send out anything?

amother

Dodgerblue

Post  Tue, Mar 24 2020, 2:26 pm
Even some camps are talikning about refunding money as they may not open.
I was impressed camp rayim said they will stop cashing checks because families are so stretched financially.

amother

Tan

Post  Tue, Mar 24 2020, 2:45 pm
I didn't give a deposit for camp or for school for next year. I don't know if that's smart at all, but I didn't have the cash before and I certainly don't have it now.
When work opens back up, I'll pay for camp and school. Otherwise she'll continue being home as long as I am.

amother

Indigo

Post  Tue, Mar 24 2020, 3:01 pm
I sent my deposit in just before Purim (boys yeshiva). I am having emunah that it will be ok by then. The school will definitely refund if they don't open, and with this situation, if there is good reason for people not to send.

My local day camps have stopped cashing checks and accepting payments. I personally think it's way more likely that the camps either don't open or skip first month than the schools not opening. And I can see the sleepaway camps and seminaries and yeshivos doing entry temperature checks, like with H1N1.

amother

Red

Post  Tue, Mar 24 2020, 3:34 pm
did anyone get in touch with seminaries that closed down due to corona.what will they be doing.refunding us?

amother

Coral

Post  Tue, Mar 24 2020, 4:58 pm
Kolos also said they were holding off on the second deposit b/c of people's financial circumstances in these days.

amother

OP

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 12:54 am
Hopefully seminaries will refund for next year. But they probably will not refund this year. They still have to pay their teachers until the end of the year I imagine.

aussiemum#1

Post  Mon, Jun 01 2020, 3:40 am
Feeling uncomfortable sending in a deposit is understandable at this stage and most seminaries and yeshivos understand that so you can ask them about their refund policy. That being said the way things stand now it looks like things will continue as normal next year, now that seminaries are more prepared in the event for a second wave. As well they have to have quarantine facilities in place if needed so there shouldnt be a break in your childs year. If you are the kind of parent who would want their child home straight away in the case of a second wave I wouldnt send them cause its not fair to them and the seminary.
Its also very important for your seminary to have pre-pandemic planning and a lot of seminaries and yeshivos are working on that- you should ask your seminary about their plan. There is an article here if you are interested in reading up about it.
stay safe
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus/ COVID19 Health Concerns