Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Seminary next year
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 3:02 am
I know its impossible to know what will be next week, let alone in a few months from now.
But I'm just wondering what others in this situation are doing.
My dd got into a seminary. They said that we needed to pay about 6k deposit to secure her spot. I did not send anything yet since I did not have the cash in hand, and a short while afterwards, the coronavirus thing exploded. Now, who knows If there will even be seminary next year?
This years seminary ended in a disaster as all the girls were sent home.
If your daughter was planning to go, have you paid yet? Do you think you will get your maney back if seminaries are cancelled?

Goldie613

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 12:38 pm
I think the schools must be wondering that too. Someone I know is connected with a NY seminary and she was telling me she's not sure what's going to happen next year. They can't interview anyone now, have anyone come in to look at their program, etc, which might have normally meant lower numbers for next year. On the other hand, if people aren't comfortable travelling overseas, or if flying in general is still restricted, they may land up with a number of students that were planning to go to Israel but now are staying in NY.

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 12:43 pm
Many seminaries have policies about what they will refund and when; did yours send out anything?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 2:26 pm
Even some camps are talikning about refunding money as they may not open.
I was impressed camp rayim said they will stop cashing checks because families are so stretched financially.

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 2:45 pm
I didn't give a deposit for camp or for school for next year. I don't know if that's smart at all, but I didn't have the cash before and I certainly don't have it now.
When work opens back up, I'll pay for camp and school. Otherwise she'll continue being home as long as I am.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 3:01 pm
I sent my deposit in just before Purim (boys yeshiva). I am having emunah that it will be ok by then. The school will definitely refund if they don't open, and with this situation, if there is good reason for people not to send.

My local day camps have stopped cashing checks and accepting payments. I personally think it's way more likely that the camps either don't open or skip first month than the schools not opening. And I can see the sleepaway camps and seminaries and yeshivos doing entry temperature checks, like with H1N1.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 3:34 pm
did anyone get in touch with seminaries that closed down due to corona.what will they be doing.refunding us?

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 4:58 pm
Kolos also said they were holding off on the second deposit b/c of people's financial circumstances in these days.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 12:54 am
Hopefully seminaries will refund for next year. But they probably will not refund this year. They still have to pay their teachers until the end of the year I imagine.

aussiemum#1

Post Mon, Jun 01 2020, 3:40 am
Feeling uncomfortable sending in a deposit is understandable at this stage and most seminaries and yeshivos understand that so you can ask them about their refund policy. That being said the way things stand now it looks like things will continue as normal next year, now that seminaries are more prepared in the event for a second wave. As well they have to have quarantine facilities in place if needed so there shouldnt be a break in your childs year. If you are the kind of parent who would want their child home straight away in the case of a second wave I wouldnt send them cause its not fair to them and the seminary.
Its also very important for your seminary to have pre-pandemic planning and a lot of seminaries and yeshivos are working on that- you should ask your seminary about their plan. There is an article here if you are interested in reading up about it.
stay safe

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 1:18 pm
Anyone get any clear information about seminary in Israel this year? The country seems to be in a bad situation right now. Masa claims they will be getting the students in anyways. Anyone know anything concrete?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 1:45 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Anyone get any clear information about seminary in Israel this year? The country seems to be in a bad situation right now. Masa claims they will be getting the students in anyways. Anyone know anything concrete?

I just hugged your post. Not that it's hopeless, but this must be very difficult for the kids and parents. I wish you all clarity and menucha in all decisions, and menucha while in "limbo". Better, may you all clearly not feel in limbo but exactly where Hashem wants you al to be.

aussiemum#1

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 2:00 pm
If your part of facebook there is a group for gap year parents where they have they have the most updated information

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 2:46 pm
aussiemum#1 wrote:
Feeling uncomfortable sending in a deposit is understandable at this stage and most seminaries and yeshivos understand that so you can ask them about their refund policy. That being said the way things stand now it looks like things will continue as normal next year, now that seminaries are more prepared in the event for a second wave. As well they have to have quarantine facilities in place if needed so there shouldnt be a break in your childs year. If you are the kind of parent who would want their child home straight away in the case of a second wave I wouldnt send them cause its not fair to them and the seminary.
Its also very important for your seminary to have pre-pandemic planning and a lot of seminaries and yeshivos are working on that- you should ask your seminary about their plan. There is an article here if you are interested in reading up about it.
stay safe

Please disclose that you work for this organization before linking to it.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 3:08 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I just hugged your post. Not that it's hopeless, but this must be very difficult for the kids and parents. I wish you all clarity and menucha in all decisions, and menucha while in "limbo". Better, may you all clearly not feel in limbo but exactly where Hashem wants you al to be.

Thank you.
Not op but could use your blessings too.
Really in limbo right now. Not really sure what to do. And nobody else knows either which makes it feel even more in limbo.
Really hoping for Moshiach!

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 3:22 pm
I think it is likely that Masa will get them in, as long as the schools have a good corona prep plan. They are not guaranteeing when; if Israel stops flights, or tells the schools they need more time, it will have to wait. Also, they can't guarantee that/when you can bring your kid home.

So basically, they will get there and be with their school. They then have to quarantine two weeks. They may end up in capsules right away, with classes virtual or otherwise creatively given (from windows and doorways, behind plastic, etc, assuming the faculty is allowed to travel.) But they will be in some sort of a structure, with peers.

I have heard that the schools have had more time to prep and plan to keep the students there if there is a complete lockdown. Parents can choose to bring them home, but again, there is no guarantee of flights. And I imagine any refunds will be a whole different ballgame when we already know what we're sending into.

nechamad

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 5:10 pm
Does anyone know about a consent paper that kids under 18 need to have, in order for the Yeshiva or seminary to get their student visa? It is a fairly new requirement, I think 3 years, because I sent another 17 year old several years ago and did not need this paper. The parents are supposed to go to the consulate and fill it out and have it notarized, but it has been closed...not sure what to do.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 5:20 pm
At the moment non israeli citizens are still not allowed into Israel, so Im not really sure how this will play out.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 6:06 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
At the moment non israeli citizens are still not allowed into Israel, so Im not really sure how this will play out.

Agreed, but Masa has basically guaranteed their schools that their students will have visas and get in. Again, they haven't said when. But they have told the schools to give the parents the go-ahead. I feel like it would be a huge blow to the Israeli economy for the one year programs to collapse this year, which might collapse some of them permanently. But I guess we'll see.

It will get very complicated if the schools are told to start after yom tov and then don't open. There will be thousands of students with no plans, because all the college and local seminaries etc will have started already.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 3:26 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Agreed, but Masa has basically guaranteed their schools that their students will have visas and get in. Again, they haven't said when. But they have told the schools to give the parents the go-ahead. I feel like it would be a huge blow to the Israeli economy for the one year programs to collapse this year, which might collapse some of them permanently. But I guess we'll see.

It will get very complicated if the schools are told to start after yom tov and then don't open. There will be thousands of students with no plans, because all the college and local seminaries etc will have started already.
Wow, thats very big of MASA. I mean, they are not the government.
I wish everyone luck and hope it actually works out that way in the end.
And Im not talking about visas. Im talking about non citizens being let in. As of right now, its not allowed.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics