Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Should I buy my kid a kindle? Something else?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 4:43 am
My 9 year old is a major book worm. We got about 12 novels for him the day before the library closed...and now we are almost out. Is a kindle worth it? Something else?

amother
Green

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 4:44 am
I'd go with a used Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, or any other dinosaur.

baby12x

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 5:08 am
I love my kindle paperwhite.
It doesn't do anything besides for books. There is an internet browser but hard to use and very slow and I'm pretty sure you can block it

amother
Green

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 7:09 pm
The Paperwhite has a built in light. That's the main feature that separates it from the cheaper ones.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 7:39 pm
Get standard kindle. Kindle fire is just a tablet made by amazon.

You can still rent books from your library they way.

trixx

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 7:44 pm
http://kb.artscroll.com/articl......html

Idk if this includes novela

aliavi

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 10:51 pm
Get the kindle. Kindle unlimited is 30 days free and $10 p/m after. We already had a kindle and it’s been the only thing that’s kept my DCs sane while being home from yeshiva. Not the fire tablet

amother
Green

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 11:20 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:

Kindle Fire is now just called Fire.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 12:11 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:

Not every library system works with Kindle. Where I live I need to use other apps to read library e books.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 12:13 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Not every library system works with Kindle. Where I live I need to use other apps to read library e books.

There are ways...

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 12:14 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
There are ways...

Can you elaborate?

amother
Green

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 12:17 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
Can you elaborate?

Using Calibre and some plugins, you can make non-Kindle ebooks suitable for Kindle.

Ravenclaw

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 12:46 am
We ended up having to sell our kindle. It’s a very difficult system to filter, and unless you want your child to be able to have access to any books (think raunchy romance novels) there is no proper way to filter it. And unless it’s a Fire, you can’t really borrow library books on it.
I would go with a simple tablet, and you can just have book apps on it if you want.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 1:02 am
You can set the parental controls not to allow any books to be purchased from it. And if your library has Overdrive, you can borrow Kindle books.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 11:30 am
It sounds like a ereader might be a good option for him if he's reading that many books. Although everyone usually thinks kindle when they think of ereaders, there are others on the market. I have the new paperwhite and I do love it, but I don't think kids need the full access it offers. Although it does offer parental controls to lock it down.

Kobo for instance-they have access to the kobo library and have a wider range of formats of ebooks available.

I would recommend a nook simple touch-it's very basic and kids can't access online as it only connects to the barnes and noble store. My 13yo ds has it and it does what he needs.

Btw, if you are getting something for reading, please don't get kindle fire-it is a tablet and is not good on the eyes for reading a lot. You need a ereader.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 7:56 pm
Kindles are the cheapest used because they are more popular, even though they didn't deserve the popularity in the first place.

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 9:25 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
We ended up having to sell our kindle. It’s a very difficult system to filter, and unless you want your child to be able to have access to any books (think raunchy romance novels) there is no proper way to filter it. And unless it’s a Fire, you can’t really borrow library books on it.
I would go with a simple tablet, and you can just have book apps on it if you want.

A Kindle has parental controls. You can block the Kindle store altogether, and the child only has access to what you download for him/her.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 9:41 pm
What about for senior citizens. My parents are running out of books- what would be best and easiest. Would you still recommend Kindle or a nook or ??????

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 9:48 pm
For a senior citizen. The paperwhite kindle is best, I think.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 11:22 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
For a senior citizen. The paperwhite kindle is best, I think.

Unfortunately, they are no longer making the Kindle DX. But the large screen was great for seniors, and they are still very popular.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics