Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Ask yr LOR: many rabbonim saying no Pesach chumrahs

southernbubby

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 5:53 am
The parents need to keep up their strength, both for the kids, who must rely on them exclusively, and in order not to tire themselves out. Some parents are trying to care for children while coping with the effects of the virus. A feverish parent cannot clean.
Cooking should be kept to a minimum. Basic recipe: throw everything into a pot and boil. No potchke.

salt

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 5:58 am
I thought you were going to say Kitniyot allowed.

I don't consider cooking fancy food and cleaning places where chametz cannot reach, a chumrah.
It's something I don't do anyway Smile

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 6:04 am
I heard in the name of Rabbi Padwe that you shouldn't throw away your chometz, but rather put it away properly and sell it.

Obviously this refers to people who normally don't sell chametz gamur. Apparently they are afraid of possible food shortages that may hot after pesach so he is saying buy now and you'll have after Pesach.

I received this in a recording on whatsap which I don't know how to post. Ask your lor.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 6:08 am
salt wrote:
I thought you were going to say Kitniyot allowed.

I don't consider cooking fancy food and cleaning places where chametz cannot reach, a chumrah.
It's something I don't do anyway Smile

I just knew that you were a smart girl! It may be enough to sweep the floor and clean one shelf or cupboard. Many families are in small apartments with big families and the parks and playgrounds are closed. Cleaning with the kids underfoot, especially if the parents are weakened by the virus, is impossible.
The concern of some rabbonim is that parents will park kids in front of the internet and this habit will persist after the virus is no longer a threat. They are imploring parents to prioritize the children and their health over the cleaning.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 6:10 am
(If you are going to sell actual chometz, it may be a good idea to use a Rav who follows the Baal HaTanya, because they use the method known as an Arev Kablan, which is a complete and legal sale, meant for sale of actual chometz.)

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 6:25 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
(If you are going to sell actual chometz, it may be a good idea to use a Rav who follows the Baal HaTanya, because they use the method known as an Arev Kablan, which is a complete and legal sale, meant for sale of actual chometz.)

Every year I sell my chometz online through Chabad. Even my very chumradik ex was OK with that.

One of the definitions of something that is "not chometz" is if it is something that a dog wouldn't eat.

My dog has been doing bedikas chometz all year long, so I figure I'm in pretty good shape. Wink

(BTW, my dog is available to rent, and she's much cheaper and more thorough than a cleaning lady. She's good with kids, too.)

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 8:34 am
southernbubby wrote:
I just knew that you were a smart girl! It may be enough to sweep the floor and clean one shelf or cupboard. Many families are in small apartments with big families and the parks and playgrounds are closed. Cleaning with the kids underfoot, especially if the parents are weakened by the virus, is impossible.
The concern of some rabbonim is that parents will park kids in front of the internet and this habit will persist after the virus is no longer a threat. They are imploring parents to prioritize the children and their health over the cleaning.

My rav always says - clean to get rid of Cheerio sized chametz and sweep so there should not be a combined kezayis of crumbs on the floor.
In Lakewood
He begs women every year to do this. But his wife also doesn’t listen.
I read in hamodia this week a reminder that shalom Bayis is d’oraiasa - spring cleaning is not

Where is think my rav is out of touch is shopping situation . We are strict about personal hygenie products. I tried telling him I can’t be picky which soaps to buy. He didn’t realize the situation.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:54 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
I heard in the name of Rabbi Padwe that you shouldn't throw away your chometz, but rather put it away properly and sell it.

Obviously this refers to people who normally don't sell chametz gamur. Apparently they are afraid of possible food shortages that may hot after pesach so he is saying buy now and you'll have after Pesach.

I received this in a recording on whatsap which I don't know how to post. Ask your lor.

Hey! Rabbi Padwe from London?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:08 am
My Rav gave a conference call shiur last night.
His takeaway was
1) crumbs are not chametz. Just a full entity like a cheerio.
2) spraying with Fantastic definitely pagums
3) this year is not the year to be machmir on specific hashgochos, only making your own stuff. We should be relying on most hashgochos.
4) we should sell closed chametz packages like pasta and cereal, even if we normally don't.
If you really can't, don't throw it out. Give it away.
5) the most important avodah is to go into Yom tov with simcha and shalom bayis.

Anonymous so as not to be identified.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:16 am
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
His takeaway was
3) this year is not the year to be machmir on specific hashgochos, only making your own stuff. We should be relying on most hashgochos.
4) we should sell closed chametz packages like pasta and cereal, even if we normally don't.
5) the most important avodah is to go into Yom tov with simcha and shalom bayis.

HI, do you mind saying which rav gave these guidelines?

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:26 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
HI, do you mind saying which rav gave these guidelines?

I'm really not comfortable outing myself. It's a litvishe Rav in a Lakewood development.
If it's nogeia to you, maybe post under your screen name for a few minutes and I'll pm you.

ahuva06

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:32 am
I'm really not comfortable outing myself. It's a litvishe Rav in a Lakewood development.
If it's nogeia to you, maybe post under your screen name for a few minutes and I'll pm you.

I would like to know - do you mind pm'ing me? Thanks

southernbubby

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:33 am
My neighbor was defending all the shopping sprees that were occurring before the shut down by saying how important it was to have new things for Yom tov. She didn't ask a Rav but I don't think that they would agree with her at this point.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 11:46 am
His takeaway was

To add some more things that I had forgotten.

1) seforim do not need to be each individually checked.
The only ones that need to be shaken out are the ones placed on the Pesach table. If you place something down on the table as a placement, the seforim don't need to be cleaned at all
2) toys and games only have to be cleaned if it's possible that there's a whole cheerio or more stuck in it.
Everything else should assume there's nothing there, just don't put the toys on the Pesach table.
If there's time, visibly look at each toy, but that's it.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 8:31 am
Just wanted to bump up this thread.
Lots of valuable tools.

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:46 pm
There are chassidishe rabbanim that said the same

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 2:12 pm
R' Ginsberg (heimishe ruv) from lakewood wrote up a list of guidelines for pesach this year
its on the lakewood scoop
https://www.thelakewoodscoop.c......html
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics