Home

Moving to Boston--Neighborhoods around Harvard Law School
Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

rsse

Post  Sun, Mar 22 2020, 4:00 pm
studying_torah wrote:
No input but congratulations that's an amazing accomplishment!

So kind of you to comment—thank you so much!

rsse

Post  Sun, Mar 22 2020, 4:01 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Newton has 13 villages. I am thinking Nonantum might be worth checking out. Otherwuse known as the Lake, it is more Italian (actor Matt LeBlanc (Joey from Friends) grew up in this neighborhood) than Jewish now but its does have one of the oldest Orthodox synagogues in MA: Congregation Agudas Achim Anshei Sfard. https://www.adamsstreet.org/

Nonantum is close to Watertown Square which has direct bus lines to Harvard Square and it is less expensive than the other villages.

That’s great to know, thank you so much!

amother

Wine

Post  Sun, Mar 22 2020, 11:51 pm
Almost all the RW and RWMO couples who have moved to Boston for HLS have moved to Brighton. There have been fewer of them in the past couple years, which is the time that KTY (Halpern) has been around, but KTY seems to be the most geared to a young frum couple. Not to be negative about the other shuls but they've been around for a long time and are not quite as vibrant or dynamic.

Edited to add: Kadima Toras Moshe in particular has taken a hard left turn over the last 8-10 years.

amother

Wine

Post  Sun, Mar 22 2020, 11:59 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Newton has 13 villages. I am thinking Nonantum might be worth checking out. Otherwise known as the Lake, it is more Italian (actor Matt LeBlanc (Joey from Friends) grew up in this neighborhood) than Jewish now but its does have one of the oldest Orthodox synagogues in MA: Congregation Agudas Achim Anshei Sfard. https://www.adamsstreet.org/

Nonantum is close to Watertown Square which has direct bus lines to Harvard Square and it is less expensive than the other villages.
Just looked at Google maps and it looks like this is outside the Boston eruv. There is a very nice established frum community in a different part of Newton as well, although it seems to be more MO than RWMO. Brighton, where most of the RW and RWMO students move to, also has a bus (the 86) that goes through Harvard Square and stops even nearer to the law school.

princessleah

Post  Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:34 am
I grew up there so things probably are very different, but I believe that Brookline and Newton are more LWMO than Brighton. Is the Talner's shtiebel still running?
In Brookline there is also the Bostoner Rebbe's shul if YI is too LW. Housing is $$$$$$ but renting I think is more affordable.
You haven't said whether you have kids, are you also going to be looking for a school?

amother

Khaki

Post  Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:31 am
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Almost all the RW and RWMO couples who have moved to Boston for HLS have moved to Brighton. There have been fewer of them in the past couple years, which is the time that KTY (Halpern) has been around, but KTY seems to be the most geared to a young frum couple. Not to be negative about the other shuls but they've been around for a long time and are not quite as vibrant or dynamic.

Edited to add: Kadima Toras Moshe in particular has taken a hard left turn over the last 8-10 years.

This.

We have one friend that moved to Brookline and regretted it. Most HLS / RW couples live in Brighton and it’s great:) we daven at KTY and I think It can be a good fit even if it might be a bit to the right? It’s a real OoT mix.

Newton is a harder commute/ more expensive and to my knowledge doesn’t have a young couple crowd.

Cambridge (where harvard is) has a nice more modern community. My friends there connected with either Chabbad or Hillel.

Also happy to connect but would prefer to stay anon. Amother above can you add OP to the chat? Our husbands can also be helpful to yours probably!

amother

Blush

Post  Mon, Mar 23 2020, 10:56 am
Cambridge is next to Harvard and it’s walking distance if that matters

thriver

Post  Mon, Mar 23 2020, 11:31 am
Wow! Didn’t know there were so many of us on here...! Gotta watch what I say from now on 😉. It’s a great community!

amother

Oak

Post  Mon, Mar 23 2020, 12:56 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
Just looked at Google maps and it looks like this is outside the Boston eruv. There is a very nice established frum community in a different part of Newton as well, although it seems to be more MO than RWMO. Brighton, where most of the RW and RWMO students move to, also has a bus (the 86) that goes through Harvard Square and stops even nearer to the law school.

Looking at the map on https://www.bostoneruv.org/bound.htm, you can see that most of the northern boundary is the turnpike BUT there is a little bump towards the left. That encompasses Nonantum,

Are you going to have a car? One of my adult children lives in Brighton near Chestnut Hill and there is NO off street parking for non-resident guests. You CAN get a resident sticker if you live in Cambridge or the City of Boston which includes Brighton and Allston. You will not need a resident sticker if you live in most suburbs (Watertown. Belmont. Newton). I don't know if Somerville, Medford, or Brookline require residents to have a permit to park on the street.

My H and I moved away after undergrad for his career and had come back to the Boston area for the Kennedy School of Government about 7 years later. We chose to live in Belmont (former Presidential candidate Mitt Romney had a gorgeous home there) as it was really easy commute-wise and wasn't as urban as Brighton or Allston but if we stayed there after, I would have wanted to move to Newton.

rsse

Post  Mon, Mar 23 2020, 1:00 pm
princessleah wrote:
I grew up there so things probably are very different, but I believe that Brookline and Newton are more LWMO than Brighton. Is the Talner's shtiebel still running?
In Brookline there is also the Bostoner Rebbe's shul if YI is too LW. Housing is $$$$$$ but renting I think is more affordable.
You haven't said whether you have kids, are you also going to be looking for a school?

Thank you for your comment! Brighton seems to be the perfect fit for us from what I've been hearing from members of the community. I'm so excited! Smile

We don't have children yet, but Gd willing we will during law school.

rsse

Post  Mon, Mar 23 2020, 1:03 pm
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
This.

We have one friend that moved to Brookline and regretted it. Most HLS / RW couples live in Brighton and it’s great:) we daven at KTY and I think It can be a good fit even if it might be a bit to the right? It’s a real OoT mix.

Newton is a harder commute/ more expensive and to my knowledge doesn’t have a young couple crowd.

Cambridge (where harvard is) has a nice more modern community. My friends there connected with either Chabbad or Hillel.

Also happy to connect but would prefer to stay anon. Amother above can you add OP to the chat? Our husbands can also be helpful to yours probably!

This is so great to know. Thank you so much. I would 100% rather be in a shul that is further right from us than further left, so KTY seems like a great fit.

Thank you--I would love to be added to a chat! I can give my contact info through pm if anyone would like to connect.

Thank you all for your incredible comments and help with this! I really am so so grateful, it makes this transition so much less overwhelming. Imamother is such an incredible community! Heart

rsse

Post  Mon, Mar 23 2020, 1:05 pm
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Cambridge is next to Harvard and it’s walking distance if that matters

Thank you, that's good to know. But from what I understand Cambridge seems more expensive than Brighton. Is that right? (I don't remember if someone commented something to that effect?)

rsse

Post  Mon, Mar 23 2020, 1:14 pm
I think I may have missed some comments and haven't replied to everyone, but I just wanted to thank you all for commenting and offering your insights! Your comments have helped us so much in making decisions for next year.

I am so grateful for everyone's advice, and in times like this with such uncertainty and stress, it means so much to have this wonderful Imamother community to turn to. Thank you all again, and thank you to the wonderful Boston ladies who have reached out to me!!!
Heart Heart Heart
Previous  1, 2 Recent Topics

Page 2 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating