Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
My 5 year old needs round-the-clock entertainment

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 8:53 pm
I am losing my mind from her asking "what are we doing next" and when I say go play with ur toys, ur sister etc she says "your the worst mom" after I let her cover my floors in slime, my walls in paint, my counters in dough, my tubs in creme.
Im really begining to resent this child. How does her teacher do it ?!?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 8:55 pm
you need to set boundaries.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 9:08 pm
My gd. I don’t let my 5 year old do ANY of that home. My 5 year old is not the boss, I am. She has lots of toys, with books, drawing/coloring, dress up things to play with and while she enjoys when I play with her it’s not ‘expected’ of me or ‘demanded’ of me.

Stars

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 9:13 pm
Put up a simple schedule with pictures on the fridge. I don't follow ours but it keeps the kids on track. When ds gets bored he can chrck the schedule and say OK xyz is what's next. Takes the arguing and power struggle out of it.
And no, slime or paint all over gets appropriate consequences. Just because we're out of school doesn't mean they can step all over you.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 9:13 pm
Sorry I was venting my frustration in my orginal post. She certainly isnt the boss of me and slime and dough and cream were planned activities bec sensory things keep my kids busy the longest. We really do try and stick to a timeline of what we are doing when but she always has this sense of urgency to finish up and get onto the next exciting thing and bores easily. Corona isnt her friend

Stars

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 9:17 pm
I'm so sorry op. This thing is really hard on everyone. I would suggest setting up the schedule in a way that one exciting thing is followed by something low key. Especially something that doesn't need your involvement so you don't burn out.

Zehava

Post Sun, Mar 22 2020, 9:24 pm
Took my kids a little while to realize that “homeschool” isn’t actual school and that not every minute is planned for them.
They’re actually beginning to blossom in their more natural environment.
But first I needed to explain in very clear terms that this isn’t school and they’re going to have to come up with their own ideas at least some of the time.
A couple things to keep in mind
2. Make sure she eats, a hungry kid is a cranky kid.
3. Have various supplies on hand like sticker mosaics, coloring, craft supplies etc.
4. Try to have her get some fresh air if possible
5. Some screen time is okay when you’re both at your wits end
6. Don’t take it personally when she says you’re the worst mom. That’s just her frustration talking. Empathy goes a long way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics