Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Wish I can get tested for the sake of my grandmother

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 2:51 am
She’s going nuts cooped up at home with no visitors, and is feeling so down. She keeps begging us to come even for a bit and refuses to acknowledge that it’s for her safety. She can’t understand y if I sit on the other side of the table she can still chv get it...
I’m feeling very under the weather but I often feel like this when under a lot of stress and I wish I can test and then I’ll know a specific time frame when I’ll be able to visit her again. I fear for her mental and physical health. She’s kh in her nineties so Very high risk.
Any advice where I can get tested?

amother
Navy

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 3:23 am
Where are you? There are private doctors and labs in NY that might do it. The state testing places won't test you that easily, you need to have symptoms, have been in contact, have fever. They really only want to test people who need treatment. They are very short of tests.

However how will testing help you? I am not sure that if you test negative it doesn't mean that you aren't incubating. And if you are positive it doesn't mean 100% that you can't get it again. Apparently they are developing a blood test that will be able to tell if you had it and if you are immune but that isn't ready yet. Several of the doctors that I spoke to have said that there is so much that they don't know about this and that they are flying blind.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 3:57 am
At this point, there's no reason to test. You should assume that you are infected and act accordingly. It's very hard on the elderly.
Some don't understand that the rules apply to them, and some really need help There are no good answers here.

Aylat

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 4:05 am
I have been video-calling my grandmother. Is that an option?

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 6:15 am
Not all tests are equal, not all tests are accurate, and even if you test negative it doesn't mean you're not a carrier - it just means you're not showing up with it yet - but maybe you'll test positive in a few days' time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics