Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Confused about who can receive tomchei shabbos lakewood

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 8:07 am
We have about 2k in our bank account now however we have a savings account with 15k in it. We don't touch that money. Being that once we pay mortgage we will have little in checking can we ask for tomchei shabbos or should we be using savings. What are people doing in our situation.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 8:42 am
Look. Technically you can call up and ask them. If you have no income now, they will send you.
From my personal experience, they ask what jobs you both have, and if any income is coming in at all
HOWEVER, they are very committed to trying to help, but I've heard from first hand sources that they have no idea how they're going to cover the influx.
They are doing a massive tzedaka drive and massive collection from store owners.
I would be honest with them. Maybe put yourself on the list for if/when half your savings are used? I don't know.
It just feels very wrong.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
We have about 2k in our bank account now however we have a savings account with 15k in it. We don't touch that money. Being that once we pay mortgage we will have little in checking can we ask for tomchei shabbos or should we be using savings. What are people doing in our situation.

I always have about 2K in my bank with no 15K savings. Why would you even think of taking tzedaka? We live paycheck to paycheck, like many people. You want to take tzedaka because you want to have money in your checking account?? While having 15K in savings? That's just wrong.
A person that has no savings and no money to buy food, can ask for tzedaka.
If you own a home but cannot afford groceries, maybe you need to sell and get something with a lower mortgage or rent before taking tzedaka.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:13 am
I know someone who gets TSH. She and her husband are both in low-paying jobs, and they have a child whose medical expenses basically swallows up their salary. Forget about savings. They can't cope with the rest of their family's needs, either. They live as simply as you can imagine.

I have about 10K in credit card debt (related to a medical crisis from one of my children) that I'm slowly paying off. But B"H I have a job (still). I wouldn't call TSH, B"H we're managing.

I don't think you have to wait till rock bottom to call them, but be honest if you really need them.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:14 am
I'm going to go further.
People tend to think of Tomchei Shabbos as something as just there, available.
It's not.
If you are at the stage where you would ask your Rav to collect money to cover your food bills, or you would walk into the COOP and ask for a free case of chicken, then please call Tomchei Shabbos. It's for you.
But if you have alternative ways to pay your bills, then please save Tomchei Shabbos for those of us who are at that stage of needing to walk into the grocery stores and asking for free chicken and potatoes, and we are greatful that Tomchei Shabbos is able to provide in a bakovodika way.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:16 am
Ok now I understand. I was sincerely curious and appreciate the clarification. Thanks.

watergirl

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:17 am
Tomchei shabbos in most cities has a waiting list full of people who have no savings at all. This program is for them, not for those with 15k just sitting.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:19 am
I wouldn't ask for tzedakah with money in savings unless something comes up where you see your savings not lasting more than a few weeks I.e. if both you/your husband lose your jobs , you still need to be 3k a month in tuition , etc.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:23 am
With all of this, I just want to say that there is no shame in calling Tomchei Shabbos or any other organization, especially during Corona, if you don't have work.
I did. I cried with shame. But I had no choice. Both of us are out of work, and one of us won't get unemployment (which only covers a fraction anyways). They were very matter of fact. Corona is destroying people's livelihood. They will take us off when Corona is over.
If you need it, please call. But if you have an alternative solution, please save it for the people who need.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:35 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
With all of this, I just want to say that there is no shame in calling Tomchei Shabbos or any other organization, especially during Corona, if you don't have work.
I did. I cried with shame. But I had no choice. Both of us are out of work, and one of us won't get unemployment (which only covers a fraction anyways). They were very matter of fact. Corona is destroying people's livelihood. They will take us off when Corona is over.
If you need it, please call. But if you have an alternative solution, please save it for the people who need.

Doesn't the government give payment to those out of work now?

amother
Green

Post Mon, Mar 23 2020, 9:43 am
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
Doesn't the government give payment to those out of work now?

A) if you're talking about the stimulus checks, it hasn't been voted in, it's a one time payment, and for everyone.

B) if you know of a government payment for those self-employed who's work closed, please share.
Everything I see is unemployment (2/3) for employers not independent contractors or self-employed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics