Home

Can mikvah close?
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  Last >>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus & Other Health Concerns

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

Purple

Post  Tue, Mar 24 2020, 3:52 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
You go with a shomer. I intend to wear swim dress and tichel take it all off once in to my neck. Dunk, put it back on. The back on is harder bot do-able. Nobody is going to see me. The beaches are closed. I'll be lucky to manage getting in. But I think I can find a quiet spot without police around.

Hatzlacha. What sacrifice....may Hashem keep your family safe in the merit of keeping this mitzvah. Applause

amother

Sienna

Post  Tue, Mar 24 2020, 4:01 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
No. The virus has been proven not to survive in the water. Especially if it's chlorinated and all safety measures followed.

I wasn't talking about the mikvah water, I know that's no issue. I was talking about the lake that some feel is safer.

amother

Copper

Post  Tue, Mar 24 2020, 4:02 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
You go with a shomer. I intend to wear swim dress and tichel take it all off once in to my neck. Dunk, put it back on. The back on is harder bot do-able. Nobody is going to see me. The beaches are closed. I'll be lucky to manage getting in. But I think I can find a quiet spot without police around.

Aren't you worried the swim dress can float away when you let go? And you won't be able to find it in the dark?

I would also be worried of stepping on something in the dark. Or of some strange kooky guy that happens to hang out there at night.

It just seems so unsafe. Especially and obviously the part about entering a huge body of water, in pitch black darkness, with no lifeguard nearby.

Simple1

Post  Tue, Mar 24 2020, 4:40 pm
The ocean gets dangerously dark at night.

amother

Pumpkin

Post  Tue, Mar 24 2020, 4:53 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Aren't you worried the swim dress can float away when you let go? And you won't be able to find it in the dark?

Not to scare or discourage anyone, but this is definitely a valid concern. Last summer DH decided to toivel in a large lake in the Catskills where he was swimming Erev Shabbos. He has done this many times before. But this time, he sheepishly asked me to meet him on the shore with a towel ... because his swimsuit was gone!

And that was in a lake with minimal current, so if toiveling in the ocean, definitely have a solid plan to keep your swimsuit secure which doesn't involve holding onto it since that would be a chatzitza.

amother

Mint

Post  Tue, Mar 24 2020, 4:54 pm
Just have a person ready with a backup.

amother

Copper

Post  Tue, Mar 24 2020, 4:58 pm
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
Just have a person ready with a backup.

And this person is also a lifeguard, trained to work in pitch black?

In the country I live in, this is illegal, to enter the ocean when there are no lifeguards on duty. And for good reason.

And I'm guessing these women are going to an area that isn't even declared safe for day swimming, since those are more exposed. Just so dangerous.

amother

Mint

Post  Tue, Mar 24 2020, 4:59 pm
I was addressing the issue of clothing only.

amother

Firebrick

Post  Tue, Mar 24 2020, 6:41 pm

I would also be worried of stepping on something in the dark. Or of some strange kooky guy that happens to hang out there at night.

It just seems so unsafe. Especially and obviously the part about entering a huge body of water, in pitch black darkness, with no lifeguard nearby.

I wonder if a Rav would suggest going during the day if you're gonna do that?

amother

Firebrick

Post  Tue, Mar 24 2020, 6:42 pm
amother [ Wine ] wrote:
I need to go.
I’m supposed to go tomorrow
My 13 yr old just got a fever. I’m devastated.

Im so sorry Sad( that's horrible, my nightmare.

amother

Scarlet

Post  Tue, Mar 24 2020, 6:49 pm

I've done it in the ocean once and it was the most thrilling and by far the most beautiful mikvah experience I've ever had. I felt far more connected to hashem in a huge body of natural water under a star lit sky than I ever did in a tiled windowless room that reeked of chlorine.

amother

Jetblack

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 6:56 pm
I'm seriously considering dunking in the ocean. I feel more comfortable doing this than going to the local mikvah.
Is there anything I need to know besides a shomer? (and a backup bathing suit)

lilies

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:02 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
I'm seriously considering dunking in the ocean. I feel more comfortable doing this than going to the local mikvah.

There have been countless deaths this past year via water. Please don't.

amother

Pink

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 8:51 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
Right, but there is NO, I repeat NO possibility of getting coronavirus from the mikvah water. The chlorine in a mikvah following protocols (higher than normal, which is anyway enough to kill the virus) will not allow for transmission.

All mikvah surfaces are regularly disinfected. The rooms are aired out. This despite the CDC saying that they do NOT believe that surface transmission is the common way of infecting another person.

Sure, someone can always find out that they had it later. Like the grocery store worker who is stocking the shelves for you (did you wash every bottle of milk that came into your house just in case?), the mailman (do you avoid touching any piece of mail or package for at least 3 hours?), or even YOU!

The protocols make mikvah potentially a safer environment than your front porch, unless you are regularly wiping that down with bleach.

Awesome! We have an epidemiologist on our site!!

amother

Teal

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 8:57 pm
I know this is anecdotal, but I toiveled last week and bh feel fine! I did not touch ANYTHING at the mikva. Even brought a bag for my clothes.

amother

Orchid

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:02 pm
I have symptoms and was told I cannot go to mikva, was supposed to go tomorrow night.
I would consider going to the ocean only if we don't have to go too deep, and being a shomer for someone and they should be for me, if they have to go tomorrow night as well.
I'd go to Deal or Lakewood NJ

amother

Mint

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:16 pm
lilies wrote:
There have been countless deaths this past year via water. Please don't.

There's been water in the mikvahs all along.

mra01385

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 9:25 pm
I hope no one drowns in the ocean chas vshalom while dunking, and the person has dunk not once but 3 times! I think it’s more riskier to drown in the ocean than getting the virus and surviving as most people do Baruch HaShem.

amother

Orchid

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:03 pm
My husband just told me absolutely no ocean. It's dangerous.

I wonder if there are Rabbonim that would even allow it, given the dangers of drowning, and entering water at night not knowing what's lurking there, plus being in a deserted place.

amother

Peach

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:08 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:

There are over 300,000 drowning deaths each year and so far 21,000 coronavirus deaths. The Mikvah is infinitely safer than an ocean with no lifeguard.
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 2 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus & Other Health Concerns