Home

Can mikvah close?
Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus & Other Health Concerns

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

Ivory

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:15 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
I have symptoms and was told I cannot go to mikva, was supposed to go tomorrow night.
I would consider going to the ocean only if we don't have to go too deep, and being a shomer for someone and they should be for me, if they have to go tomorrow night as well.
I'd go to Deal or Lakewood NJ

Please ask a shaila.

amother

Orchid

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:02 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Please ask a shaila.

The mikva has a Dr vetting each case and they told me they listen to his psak as final.
So even if my Rav would say I can go, the mikva wouldn't allow it. Plus, I would not want to possibly spread it to anyone else, so I don't really know if there's another possibility.

amother

Scarlet

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:12 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
All mikvah surfaces are regularly disinfected. The rooms are aired out. This despite the CDC saying that they do NOT believe that surface transmission is the common way of infecting another person.
The protocols make mikvah potentially a safer environment than your front porch, unless you are regularly wiping that down with bleach.

I know different mikvaot in different places have different standards, but I can tell you without a doubt the two that I have most often gone to absolutely do not get aired out, and in one I'm often at there's no room for the balanit to ever be two meters away except for while I'm in the water. These are both older Israeli places and the space is a maze with tiny rooms and no windows. The most cleaning they usually get is a quick wipe of the floor between clients so it's not too slippery. I can not imagine the attendants suddenly bleaching the surfaces. I would certainly never bathe there under current circumstances and get fully prepared at home, and try not to touch anything at all while at the mikvah. But even understand those conditions, while yes I know the water is fully chlorinated, I do know for a fact it is not being aired out.

amother

Sienna

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:17 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
I know different mikvaot in different places have different standards, but I can tell you without a doubt the two that I have most often gone to absolutely do not get aired out, and in one I'm often at there's no room for the balanit to ever be two meters away except for while I'm in the water. These are both older Israeli places and the space is a maze with tiny rooms and no windows. The most cleaning they usually get is a quick wipe of the floor between clients so it's not too slippery. I can not imagine the attendants suddenly bleaching the surfaces. I would certainly never bathe there under current circumstances and get fully prepared at home, and try not to touch anything at all while at the mikvah. But even understand those conditions, while yes I know the water is fully chlorinated, I do know for a fact it is not being aired out.

Some mikvaos are not following the published protocols. They should obviously be avoided.

But that does not speak for the vast majority of mikvaos that ARE carefully following the guidelines and keeping mikvah as safe as possible for all of us.

One of the protocols, incidentally, is that everyone MUST prepare FULLY at home, not even a shower at the mikvah, because they are minimizing surface contact.

amother

Sienna

Post  Wed, Mar 25 2020, 11:18 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Awesome! We have an epidemiologist on our site!!

Thanks, but I'm actually repeating information from epidemiologists and experts. Check https://www.mikvah.org/covid19 to read the guidelines and reasonings for yourself.

#1 Best Mommy

Post  Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:55 pm
How about relations after... if me and my husband are (With Hashems help!!) hopefully feeling great, then regular relations is fine? Talking about f0replay too....

amother

Wine

Post  Thu, Mar 26 2020, 11:14 pm
I have symptoms and was told I cannot go to mikva, was supposed to go tomorrow night.
I would consider going to the ocean only if we don't have to go too deep, and being a shomer for someone and they should be for me, if they have to go tomorrow night as well.

The water would be frigid now.

amother

Wine

Post  Thu, Mar 26 2020, 11:16 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:

In Lakewood you do nothing there now. All prep is at home. No shower even. Just undress. Comb hair. Dunk. Wear gloves the entire time until dunking. Have minimal contact with any humans.

causemommysaid

Post  Thu, Mar 26 2020, 11:35 pm
Ladies please don't dunk in the ocean. By day or by night. It's not worth leaving your children motherless just to go on time. Just wait an extra month and go in a safe mikvah. (Or honestly just go to the mikvah and don't tell anyone if you insist on going even if sick. Yes it's an awful thing to do but I am just imagining the number of drowning victims otherwise.)

Most mikvahs have two pools. Why cant one be reserved for people with symptoms and one for people without.

I know this sounds crazy. I don't even agree with what I'm saying myself but I think that if we don't try to make it possible there will be too many fools who go to the ocean and drown.

amother

Mint

Post  Thu, Mar 26 2020, 11:54 pm
Maybe we should invent some way to more safely use the ocean. (I'm kind of imagining a crane with a giant milk crate like tevilas keilim, but there is probably a more realistic option.)

amother

Copper

Post  Fri, Mar 27 2020, 1:14 am
causemommysaid wrote:
Ladies please don't dunk in the ocean. By day or by night. It's not worth leaving your children motherless just to go on time. Just wait an extra month and go in a safe mikvah. (Or honestly just go to the mikvah and don't tell anyone if you insist on going even if sick. Yes it's an awful thing to do but I am just imagining the number of drowning victims otherwise.)

Most mikvahs have two pools. Why cant one be reserved for people with symptoms and one for people without.

I know this sounds crazy. I don't even agree with what I'm saying myself but I think that if we don't try to make it possible there will be too many fools who go to the ocean and drown.

I agree it's a foolish, ridiculous thing to go dunk in the ocean.

The solution is not to go to the mikvah even if you are sick! That is crazy and wrong. You are proposing a sick woman infect countless other women just because she can't stay away from her dh for a few more weeks?

The solution is for her to wait. But if she MUST go, better to be an idiot and endanger herself in the ocean, then be a possible murderer and knowingly go to the mikva sick.

amother

Gray

Post  Fri, Mar 27 2020, 1:21 am
I'm going back on the pill for 2 or 3 packs in a row now for this very reason! I was using spermicide to get my body back to normal to ttc but it'll have to be put on hold. I think everyone should do the same. I knows it's far fetched that they'll close but we never know. I'm not in the US but they can close anywhere like a few countries have already.

amother

Copper

Post  Fri, Mar 27 2020, 1:41 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I'm going back on the pill for 2 or 3 packs in a row now for this very reason! I was using spermicide to get my body back to normal to ttc but it'll have to be put on hold. I think everyone should do the same. I knows it's far fetched that they'll close but we never know. I'm not in the US but they can close anywhere like a few countries have already.

Everyone cannot do the same. First of all, there are millions of women out there who cannot take hormonal bc, definitely not pack to pack.

Second, there are millions of women who CAN take it, but consider it very unhealthy, and aren't willing to pump their bodies full of hormones with no break.

And finally, it's a bit too late even for those who would be willing to do it. Most women not on bc have become nidda sometime over the last two or three weeks. They will have to go to mikva at least once if they want to start back to back bc.

shabbatiscoming

Post  Fri, Mar 27 2020, 2:48 am
causemommysaid wrote:

An extra month??? Seriously? This not going out is not going to be for a month!! It will be for much longer than that. And no, sime mikvaot might have 2 pools but definitely not most.
And please please please, if you are sick, DO NOT GO TO THE MIKVAH!!!!!
If one goes to the ocean, go with your husband and make sensible choices.

shabbatiscoming

Post  Fri, Mar 27 2020, 2:49 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
there are so many women out there that can not, for any number of reasons, go on bc.
And what countries have closed all mikvaot?
In isrsel they have closed the mens mikvaot.

amother

Copper

Post  Fri, Mar 27 2020, 3:10 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
there are so many women out there that can not, for any number of reasons, go on bc.

France

Elfrida

Post  Fri, Mar 27 2020, 4:09 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

On a halachic level, men going to the mikva is a minhag rather than a halacha. However strong a minhag some men have, it is still not on the same level as a woman's obligation to go to the mikva.

Secondly men's mikvaot are more social and less hygienic than women's.

Every decree the government has ordered makes specific provision allowing women to leave the house for immersion in a mikva. Now they are requiring a pre-booked appointment to minimize contact, but they are classifying mikva as an essential need.

I got a long document from work the other day, clarifying exactly what was considered an essential service, and what provisions were made for them. I have to admit that I didn't actually read it, but I skimmed through so that I would gave some idea. Sherutei da'at allowed for weddings (with all the limitations), burial and mikva. Mikva ladies are considered essential workers. Even if we go onto complete lockdown.

amother

Pearl

Post  Fri, Mar 27 2020, 7:45 am

Would you really have s-x with symptoms? I'm on day 13 of quarantine and haven't been with my husband for fear of infecting him.

amother

Firebrick

Post  Fri, Mar 27 2020, 8:05 am
I just want to say that I went to the mikvah this week. I was pretty much in isolation with my immediate family for 2 weeks before, both because I was sonewhat exposed to someone with covid-19 on purim but also because I didn't want to be exposed to anything right before I needed to go to mikvah and have to postpone. One mikvah in my neighborhood was closed but another was open. There was no one in waiting room and all mikvah attendants wore masks. I've been to grocery stores and a plastic surgeon's office to get my child stitches since I went to the mikvah and the mikvah did not seem any more hazardous than the other essential places I went. I am young and healthy, no medical conditions in the house so for people like me I don't think there's any reason to postpone due to fears of catching something. If you go other places, go to mikvah too. Just my experience.
Previous  1, 2, 3 Recent Topics

Page 3 of 3 View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Issues of Concern within Frum Society -> Coronavirus & Other Health Concerns