Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Can everyone calm down and stop being mean and bossy?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 9:53 am
Are you a moron or have you just dug your heals in that you can't turn back.
Look at the numbers here where we have freedom to be idiots and "self quarantine " as we see fit as opposed to how South Korea's numbers are looking.
People like you clearly care more about their fun than lives of others. I have absoutly no respect for you at all.
You are a selfish monster.

I am aware that this is an "inappropriate post" and a personal attack but you have it coming as you clearly do not value the safety of the community or healthcare workers-as you previously said, multiple times.

I'm done- need to end my break and go back to work in the hospital where we had 4 deaths yesterday. Maybe I should thank you for all your contributions to my workload, giving is overtime and an excuse to be away from our families.

Genius

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:00 am
carnation wrote:
The thing is that this crisis would not have existed now at all, if ALL people of the whole world would have magically stayed in place (and in their homes 6 feet apart) starting about a month ago, for 2-3 weeks.

So we need to try to do anything and everything as best as possible and the closest to the above idea - to try to stay home as much as possible etc. Since we can't do as I wrote above, our extreme efforts will at least slow down the virus enough so that the healthcare system will at least be able to handle it.

I didn’t read the entire thread but as convincing as it may seem there is no way to know if quarantine is actually holding off the virus. If everyone was already exposed to it does it get worse when you are exposed to it again? These questions need to be studied.
It’s nearly impossible, if not completely impossible, to make everyone stay put for an indefinite amount of time. We are all dependent on stuff outside of our homes. If it would’ve been proven that this quarantine is actually saving lives less people would’ve been roaming the streets even if they just leave the house for essentials.
Posting pictures on social media of yidden who aren’t following the rules will not help. If they will see your post they have already seen many others and decided to ignore the rules anyway, and if they don’t see your post many non jews will and they will hate all yidden including those who are following the rules and including those who think they’re doing a favor for humanity by posting stuff that put their own people in a very negative light.

Last edited by Genius on Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total

renslet

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:04 am
small bean wrote:
Did you social distance iver the winter due to the flu? Because last week in the US 1k people died from the flu. Last week about 200 died from corona. You could have infected people all year when you went out and got together with family and friends and you didn't think twice.

So, I've heard people saying this but honestly. How many people do you personally know who have died from the flu. I know one. Contrast that to unfortunately 6 people that I know personally who have died from covid19 (not all in the US ) and even if the numbers are less something doesn't add up in that argument

small bean

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:12 am
renslet wrote:
So, I've heard people saying this but honestly. How many people do you personally know who have died from the flu. I know one. Contrast that to unfortunately 6 people that I know personally who have died from covid19 (not all in the US ) and even if the numbers are less something doesn't add up in that argument

What does knowing the people who died have to do with anything. I don't know anyone this year, but I knew 3 last year.

I don't know the people who died from corona does that inavlidate the death?

You need to put the deaths and the illness in relation to the population. Even in NYC we are talking about .29% of the population there tested positive. That is a tiny number and not what was expected at all. And if you will say quarantine is working, we don't know because 14 days ago no one was quarantined.

renslet

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:20 am
My point is that for all the people saying that the flu is worse, I have never seen tehillim lists this long for the flu, nor has hatzalah ever been so busy because of the flu.
It's not just a numbers game. And if for some reason our community has been hit hard, we should be more careful not less

small bean

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:29 am
renslet wrote:
My point is that for all the people saying that the flu is worse, I have never seen tehillim lists this long for the flu, nor has hatzalah ever been so busy because of the flu.
It's not just a numbers game. And if for some reason our community has been hit hard, we should be more careful not less

That doesn't make any sense. The numbers are the numbers. What does it matter if you knew or not. If the outbreak was in Montana would that make corona less valid because you wouldn't hear hatzalah talking and see tehillim lists?

I knew 7 people all at the same time in ICUs this year for the flu all from Lakewood. I know 2 people now in a hospital for Corona. Again doesn't make a point one way or the other.

The numbers are reported and it doesn't matter how many of the people you do or don't know.

ora_43

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:39 am
small bean, it's getting frustrating that you keep not addressing what people are actually saying.

The issue is the speed at which the virus spreads (without social distancing), the high fatality rate, and the high hospitalization rate. And yet, you're still talking as if people's big fear of covid19 is based on us all being too stupid to notice that it's less widespread at this very second than the flu or cold.

You can disagree, but address the answers people are giving you.

Dandelion1

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:55 am
small bean wrote:
Did you social distance iver the winter due to the flu? Because last week in the US 1k people died from the flu. Last week about 200 died from corona. You could have infected people all year when you went out and got together with family and friends and you didn't think twice.

I'm all for those who are sick to be normal and stay home. I'm all for quarantining all high risk groups. The rest of the world should be making their own choices and nobody has a right to criticize anyone free choice.

By the time pesach comes most frum in the tristate area will alreast have had it. There is no reason once you've had it to social distance. Everyone is free to decide for themsleves if they are fine with that.

Can you explain one step further, because I'm curious to understand your thinking.

You say that this is comparable to the flu. Why do you think epidemiologists all over the world are saying we need to react differently now? Some kind of conspiracy?

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:56 am
small bean wrote:

I'm all for those who are sick to be normal and stay home. I'm all for quarantining all high risk groups. The rest of the world should be making their own choices and nobody has a right to criticize anyone free choice.

By the time pesach comes most frum in the tristate area will alreast have had it. There is no reason once you've had it to social distance. Everyone is free to decide for themsleves if they are fine with that.

I follow the guidelines of health officials and practice social distancing when that is what is asked of me. It is being asked now, and I do it! I get the flu shot as recommended, so I do not need to social distance on that - but if I were asked to, I would.

My children were sent home because their yeshiva and seminary closed, and I have been quarantining them as well as the rest of the family for fourteen days as recommended. We go nowhere. I do this to protect society, including YOU, because my children returned from high risk places where the infection rate is high, even though they have no symptoms. My area has a very low rate of infection right now, and I will certainly not be the cause of the rate increasing if I can avoid it.

All year round, I practice good hygiene as recommended. I wash my hands often, I use sanitizing wipes on grocery carts, I clean my purse and cell phone regularly since these tend to harbor germs. I do what I am asked to do or more.

Do you?

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 11:02 am
Quote: “ Everyone is free to decide for themsleves if they are fine with that.”

The problem is that too many people think they can do what they want without affecting anyone. In my block there are 2 shuls with constant flow of traffic. I go every other day to grocery shop either early morn or late eve when there are less people. And while I agree that people should technically be allowed to decide for themselves- many are too careless.
Der yid newspaper had a huge list of elderly that passed away. Hatzoloh is non stop, those in medical field are beyond exhaustion.
Again we really should be careful how we talk about each other but everyone should be careful and care about the situation and not play-with others lives.

small bean

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 11:08 am
amother [ Blonde ] wrote:
I follow the guidelines of health officials and practice social distancing when that is what is asked of me. It is being asked now, and I do it! I get the flu shot as recommended, so I do not need to social distance on that - but if I were asked to, I would.

My children were sent home because their yeshiva and seminary closed, and I have been quarantining them as well as the rest of the family for fourteen days as recommended. We go nowhere. I do this to protect society, including YOU, because my children returned from high risk places where the infection rate is high, even though they have no symptoms. My area has a very low rate of infection right now, and I will certainly not be the case of the rate increasing if I can avoid it.

All year round, I practice good hygiene as recommended. I wash my hands often, I use sanitizing wipes on grocery carts, I clean my purse and cell phone regularly since these tend to harbor germs. I do what I am asked to do or more.

Do you?

I personally always social distance. I work from home and hate going out. I hardly leave my house all year.

I also got corona from my daughter who got it before school even ended. My family has all had it and in a couple more days we will be free to roam with no worries.

I don't think telling other people what to do is ever okay. The people I talk to don't stand on ceremony about how other people should live their life. If you are social distancing it doesn't matter what others choose to do for yom tov.

I know pleanty of people who are going about their life, whether in medical fields or essential businesses and when I tell them how people here talk they are horrified.

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 11:14 am
Small bean

You mean they are horrified about the way people talk to and about others? Right?
But what do you friends in medical field say about the situation?

small bean

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 11:19 am
Dandelion1 wrote:
Can you explain one step further, because I'm curious to understand your thinking.

You say that this is comparable to the flu. Why do you think epidemiologists all over the world are saying we need to react differently now? Some kind of conspiracy?

Many epidemiologists are changing their tune now. Even dr. Birx said there is too much overreaction and panic.

I don't think it is a conspiracy. I think many people will die or have lasting lung complications.

I also think you have to put it in perspective and the numbers accross the board in every country is nothing like computer models indicated. And they are now changing their models to show much less deaths.

The truth is that we don't stop everything to save one life or even to save 50k lives. That is a fact. And we need to keep things in perspective.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 11:20 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
That is not the case in the hospital where I work. We have many patients under 50, and multiple deaths under 50. And the number of deaths keep increasing exponentially. I don't know if you are trying to prevent panic or giving people a false sense of security that they can continue to disregard quarantines, CDC recommend and rules which have been set in place for the safety of the community. Hey, if you are in your 40s, why not throw caution to the wind and travel for YT.

That is really terrifying.
And youre the only person who's saying this, I havent heard it from anywhere else. 50% of hospitalizations for ppl under 50? In my community there are 100s of ppl in the hospital and only 2 of them are under 60. So I dont know where this is coming from.
Anyway, HaShem should help us all, it's all very terrifying.

small bean

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 11:21 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
Small bean

You mean they are horrified about the way people talk to and about others? Right?
But what do you friends in medical field say about the situation?

That it is much better than predicted. They are not terrified for their lives or feel that anyone is putti g this on themselves.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 11:28 am
Um...I read an article in the new york times today that quoted a lot of NY doctors who are writing their wills. Because they know some health care workers are likely to catch it.
And yes. It's not only older people dying.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 11:30 am
small bean wrote:
What does knowing the people who died have to do with anything. I don't know anyone this year, but I knew 3 last year.

I don't know the people who died from corona does that inavlidate the death?

You need to put the deaths and the illness in relation to the population. Even in NYC we are talking about .29% of the population there tested positive. That is a tiny number and not what was expected at all. And if you will say quarantine is working, we don't know because 14 days ago no one was quarantined.

Small Bean:

I'm stunned by how deep your head is in the sand.
Every few minutes I get a text with a name of a person who is either on a ventilator in the hospital or has unfortunately passed away.
Now I dont know all of them personally, but every single name was another stab to my heart. Another Jewish person lost. Another life snuffed out.
I dont recall a time when the flu wiped out so many yidden in one week. Do you?

Oh by the way, 100 people died in NY of coronavirus in the past 24 hours.
Never happened with the flu.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 11:35 am
SMall Bean:

here is the list of yidden who are on ventilators in the hospital.

I am shuddering.

https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 11:44 am
Here's some of the names I heard today. My anxiety is through the roof.

All around I heard about the following ppl who Niftar:

Stanislaver Rav of London, r' uri Ashkenazi
R' Romi Cohen, a famous mohel who survived Communist Russia
R Avraham yechiel Kraus of Montreal
R' Yeshaya Englard, Son of Radziner Rebbe of BP
Rav Benchamu, a posek in Paris

From NY -- in the hospital, most of them critical on ventilators:

Satmar Rebbe's brother r' Lipa Teitelbaum
r' Aryeh Zev Ginsberg of Queens - he writes in Mishpacha
R' Zindel Binik, a Wmsbg hatzalah paramedic
My friend's father in law, I won't say his name here
Shopron Rov of Wmsbg
Shulem Rubashkin's father AND mother
Rav plutchok of Yeshiva Derech Chaim of BP
My father's chavrusa, another name I won't mention here

Besides that, my father in law and many of my uncles are home sick in bed with fever.
I myself am not feeling well for 2 weeks and so are many of my siblings.

THIS IS RAMPANT.

This is just a drop in the bucket. I am confused how you are still in denial that this is the flu, and we can just be blase.

small bean

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 11:48 am
I don't know why it matters more that it is Jewish people. While it is sad for us. It doesn't make it more terrible than if that was in a non jewish area.

I don't know how many people die from flu in NY per day. But about 250 people per day in the US. That is with meds and a flu shot. If were doing 250 deaths a day for corona in the US before a vaccine and meds.
Page 8 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics