Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Financial Impact of Covid-19 on Yeshivot
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 12:48 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I’m a bit perplexed at how everyone is insistent that our teachers and rebbes get paid as usual during this crisis. However, duly noted if so many of us have jobs where we don’t get paid if we don’t work- where should we get the money from?! . Face it- this crisis impacts the families too- probably more than the yeshivas staff. We don’t work- we don’t get paid. It’s a tough spot but I don’t see why teachers or Rebbis have the upper hand- we’re all in a finiacial rut.

Because most teachers are still working to some extent, some longer hours than before

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 12:48 pm
Both of the schools I have kids enrolled in have major fundraisers in the spring that bring in a huge chunk of the money for the operating budget. One has been postponed already. And with postponement, it then infringes on the rest of the fundraising schedule as they're timed very carefully.

There's a lot at play right now, putting our kids' schools at financial risk.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 12:50 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Both of the schools I have kids enrolled in have major fundraisers in the spring that bring in a huge chunk of the money for the operating budget. One has been postponed already. And with postponement, it then infringes on the rest of the fundraising schedule as they're timed very carefully.

There's a lot at play right now, putting our kids' schools at financial risk.

The majority of institutions and businesses is now at financial risk.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 12:52 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Duly noted that 17 million people filed for unemployment this past week. The numbers are staggering, and we can safely assume that many families in our communities are part of that list.

The focus should be on all of the people who have lost their paychecks. Why should teachers & rebbeim, who are only a small segment of our community members, expect special treatment? If they're still working, then they most definitely should get paid. If not, then it depends on their individual circumstances, as is the same with all of society. Is their government assistance for their schools/businesses? Is unemployment an option, etc.?

As for tuition, most institutions now are granting leeway in some form to those who have been financially affected. Schools should do likewise. If people have lost their parnossoh, how can schools expect them to pay tuition, when those families are literally trying to figure out how to get food on the table now.

I think those in chinuch are in the biggest bind. Not only financially. But they are being forced to work. Learn a whole new way of teaching. Satisfy their administration requirements and then at the same time KNOW that the parent aren't even satisfied as it is a fully diminished level of education. Less physical engagement makes it harder for a classroom teacher.

Imagine you're being forced to give a substandard service and it takes you twice the amount of work as before. I'd like them all to come back to school ready and able to teach. I'm not giving them "special" treatment. I'm just doing what I can. BH right now I can. BH my school knew it was hard for us and was grateful, kind and gracious about it. May we always be able to do what we can when we can.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 12:55 pm
The majority of institutions and businesses is now at financial risk.

And?

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 1:12 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
And?

Why do schools get repeatedly called out? Major institutions are at risk for failure now. All are scrambling trying to keep afloat. Schools have just gotten a big boost in the stimulus package. So hopefully they can push through for a bit with that. And they definitely should be paying their teachers who are working now, that's what the government funds were allocated for.

I get that the schools are in trouble now, but it's frustrating (at least for me) to repeatedly see the concern highlighted mostly for the schools. The concern should be for all of society - and more so for those who are now out of jobs. The order of priority shouldn't be schools first, society second. Society and the jobless should be the priority, followed by essentials institutions. Additionally, schools shouldn't be the one pressing for tuition to be made a priority. They instead should be reaching out to those parents who have lost their job and offer some leeway for them to ease the pressure of their shoulders for now.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 1:19 pm
avrahamama wrote:
I think those in chinuch are in the biggest bind. Not only financially. But they are being forced to work. Learn a whole new way of teaching. Satisfy their administration requirements and then at the same time KNOW that the parent aren't even satisfied as it is a fully diminished level of education. Less physical engagement makes it harder for a classroom teacher.

Imagine you're being forced to give a substandard service and it takes you twice the amount of work as before. I'd like them all to come back to school ready and able to teach. I'm not giving them "special" treatment. I'm just doing what I can. BH right now I can. BH my school knew it was hard for us and was grateful, kind and gracious about it. May we always be able to do what we can when we can.

I honestly don't agree. True, their workload did get harder, but so did the workload of many other workers. Many parents have suddenly been thrust into a work from home environment, and aren't equipped to handle it. There is the skills needed to suddenly grasp, the equipment needed to be able, no child care at all and all kids around all day long. It applies to so many, not just to teachers.

Additionally, those who have work now are in much less of a bind now than those who have lost their jobs. No change in workload can measure up to the worries and strain of a lost of income.

It's precisely such comments that is what frustrates me. We seem to apply rose colored glasses to those who work elsewhere, and apply misplaced pity on those in chinuch. Their job, just like everything else in life, has both pros and cons. We seem to ignore the pros of their jobs and just exaggerate their cons.

The ones who have it the hardest now are the ones out of work. The ones who have it hard are the ones now thrust into a work from home environment - be it teachers, office workers, therapists and all others. The ones who have it easier now are the ones whose lives haven't been disrupted.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 1:21 pm
Why do schools get repeatedly called out? Major institutions are at risk for failure now. All are scrambling trying to keep afloat. Schools have just gotten a big boost in the stimulus package. So hopefully they can push through for a bit with that. And they definitely should be paying their teachers who are working now, that's what the government funds were allocated for.

I get that the schools are in trouble now, but it's frustrating (at least for me) to repeatedly see the concern highlighted mostly for the schools. The concern should be for all of society - and more so for those who are now out of jobs. The order of priority shouldn't be schools first, society second. Society and the jobless should be the priority, followed by essentials institutions. Additionally, schools shouldn't be the one pressing for tuition to be made a priority. They instead should be reaching out to those parents who have lost their job and offer some leeway for them to ease the pressure of their shoulders for now.

You are being vary vague. What major institutions are you talking about?

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 1:23 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
You are being vary vague. What major institutions are you talking about?

Let's put it this way - which business or institution has NOT been affected? Maybe medical supplies and food related business. Almost everyone else has been adversely affected.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 1:27 pm
Let's put it this way - which business or institution has NOT been affected? Maybe medical supplies and food related business. Almost everyone else has been adversely affected.

That doesn't answer my question. What major institutions are you referring to?

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 1:37 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
That doesn't answer my question. What major institutions are you referring to?

All the businesses and institutions out there that encompasses our economy. From small business all the way to the large ones. Our energy and empathy needs to be primarily directed at the loss of parnossoh for two reasons. One - that's the primary concern to rebuild the economy. Rebuilding the economy will eventually lead to people paying tuition. People being forced to pay tuitions won't help alleviate the situation. Two - in times of crisis, food and shelter is the priority. That's where we need to direct our energy and sympathy towards now.

So, honestly, while I do understand the tough spots schools are in now, I direct my attention towards tomchai shabbos, kupas ezrah and the dozens and dozens of chesed funds set up for those who have lost their primary breadwinner. My heart aches for them and I'll donate every cent I can to those organizations and funds. Once the dust settles, and people are able to begin getting back up on their feet, considerations for schools can come back into play. In the meantime, schools need to take a step back, especially considering the sizable government grants they've just had sent their way.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 1:37 pm
I honestly don't agree. True, their workload did get harder, but so did the workload of many other workers. Many parents have suddenly been thrust into a work from home environment, and aren't equipped to handle it. There is the skills needed to suddenly grasp, the equipment needed to be able, no child care at all and all kids around all day long. It applies to so many, not just to teachers.

Additionally, those who have work now are in much less of a bind now than those who have lost their jobs. No change in workload can measure up to the worries and strain of a lost of income.

It's precisely such comments that is what frustrates me. We seem to apply rose colored glasses to those who work elsewhere, and apply misplaced pity on those in chinuch. Their job, just like everything else in life, has both pros and cons. We seem to ignore the pros of their jobs and just exaggerate their cons.

The ones who have it the hardest now are the ones out of work. The ones who have it hard are the ones now thrust into a work from home environment - be it teachers, office workers, therapists and all others. The ones who have it easier now are the ones whose lives haven't been disrupted.

We don’t deny that other people are working hard as they adapt too. But if you work in a bank and are now working from home no one is asking you to both figure out how to work from home AND take a pay cut because you’re not traveling into the bank.
Most other jobs are either working from home or not getting paid. Chinuch seems to be one of the only ones with this double standard where we’re expected to work and not get paid for it.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 1:44 pm
All the businesses and institutions out there that encompasses our economy. From small business all the way to the large ones. Our energy and empathy needs to be primarily directed at the loss of parnossoh for two reasons. One - that's the primary concern to rebuild the economy. Rebuilding the economy will eventually lead to people paying tuition. People being forced to pay tuitions won't help alleviate the situation. Two - in times of crisis, food and shelter is the priority. That's where we need to direct our energy and sympathy towards now.

So, honestly, while I do understand the tough spots schools are in now, I direct my attention towards tomchai shabbos, kupas ezrah and the dozens and dozens of chesed funds set up for those who have lost their primary breadwinner. My heart aches for them and I'll donate every cent I can to those organizations and funds. Once the dust settles, and people are able to begin getting back up on their feet, considerations for schools can come back into play. In the meantime, schools need to take a step back, especially considering the sizable government grants they've just had sent their way.

But that's tzedaka. I'm talking about just plain old tuition if your school is still trying to provide a service...

Aside from the fact that your tuition could just give your teachers their salary and paychecks with dignity .... Instead of them feeling compelled to appeal to tomchei shabbos etc

BTW my school isn't activity "collecting" but they're asking parents who still can pay to do so.

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 1:47 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
We don’t deny that other people are working hard as they adapt too. But if you work in a bank and are now working from home no one is asking you to both figure out how to work from home AND take a pay cut because you’re not traveling into the bank.
Most other jobs are either working from home or not getting paid. Chinuch seems to be one of the only ones with this double standard where we’re expected to work and not get paid for it.

I don't know where you're getting your information from. That's not true on both accounts. Many workers have suddenly had to figure out how to work from home AND take a pay cut. Two of my family members included. Many businesses have adopted this structure just to survive now.

Just One

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 1:50 pm
Are you not paying for your groceries because

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 1:52 pm
avrahamama wrote:
But that's tzedaka. I'm talking about just plain old tuition if your school is still trying to provide a service...

Aside from the fact that your tuition could just give your teachers their salary and paychecks with dignity .... Instead of them feeling compelled to appeal to tomchei shabbos etc

BTW my school isn't activity "collecting" but they're asking parents who still can pay to do so.

Car leases, mortgage companies, utilities and similar necessity business are all still providing services, but allowing for deferment. Schools, as per individual need, should offer something as well. A family needs food and shelter first.

Your fact about tomchai shabbos applies to all workers, why only teachers.

And I applaud your school. That's the right way to go now - those who can pay should most definitely do so. (Though imo, that should be for those schools who are offering substantial services, and not just 1/2 phone conference call. But this is irrelevant to the discussion on hand.)

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 1:54 pm
Just One wrote:
Are you not paying for your groceries because

So are you equating the need for food, to school? Should purchasing bread and milk be on the same level as paying tuition? Or perhaps are you suggesting one should pay first for tuition, and then food?

I'm confused.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 1:58 pm

You can't seem to answer the question directly.

Have you decided to pull your tuition payments to redirect your money elsewhere?

If 75% of the parents can't pay tuition - and 25% decide not to, the SBA funding isn't going to be sufficient to keep the schools running.

Just One

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 2:03 pm
So are you equating the need for food, to school? Should purchasing bread and milk be on the same level as paying tuition? Or perhaps are you suggesting one should pay first for tuition, and then food?

I'm confused.

No that wasn't my point. For some reason only my first sentence posted. I'm lazy to rewrite it all

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Apr 14 2020, 2:04 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
You can't seem to answer the question directly.

Have you decided to pull your tuition payments to redirect your money elsewhere?

If 75% of the parents can't pay tuition - and 25% decide not to, the SBA funding isn't going to be sufficient to keep the schools running.

I've answered in multiple different ways, except held short of listing every single industry or institution under the sun. If you need to have that list, just google a directory of every single economic category that exists, and you shall have that information. Alternatively, the IRS can supply that to you as well. If you can't do that yourself, I will sit down after Yom Tov and put that together for you.

And yes, I'm not paying tuition now. But I'm not redirecting any funds. There aren't funds to redirect. What's so hard to understand about that. I'm happy that I can scratch together to pay for food. If I have a few dollars left over after that, I'll give it to tomchai shabbos. Ze hu. Like I said, when the dust settles, I'll be in contact with the schools to work things out. In the meantime, all that's left for me to do is daven to Hashem to end this crisis and to gives us an easy hand to get back on our feet.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics