Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Did you know how much eggs costs
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 12:05 pm
There's less eggs because the chickens are striking, they heard we're not working so they don't either want to.

Oh wait, conspiracy 2 is the chickens stopped laying eggs cuz they're scared of being quarantined with so many baby chickies.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 12:29 pm
Should we start a new thread about the scarcity of potatoes? No price gouging though, just lots of time spent hunting.

cnc

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:03 pm
There’s an egg shortage.
I don’t think is considered price gouging .

sky

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 6:15 am
CNN:
Quote:
Retailers are ordering up to six times their normal egg volumes and have depleted the supply that producers were beginning to build for Easter, he said. "Buyers have paid huge premiums to secure loads."

Wholesale egg prices have risen 180% since the beginning of March, according to Urner Barry, which publishes a daily benchmark for the industry.

"Wholesale prices for shell eggs rose precipitously through the week," the Department of Agriculture said in its weekly report Friday. Companies were struggling to "maintain sufficient stocks to meet a heightened level of consumer demand."

sky

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 6:19 am
It’s like the perfect storm

Quote:
Cold weather has led to a potato shortage in North America, threatening the availability of french fries, Bloomberg reported Monday. ... It said potato production for the 2019 crop year was forecast at 22.4 million tons, down 6% from the prior year.

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 6:42 am
I got in Walmart yesterday. Large eggs (no x-lg available) were about $1.20/dz depending on the size of the package. There was a limit of 1per item. I bought a pack of 60 for $5.77.

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 6:53 am
There's a shortage here in Israel, I've been in a few stores that don't let you buy more than a specific amount (the price of eggs is decided by the government)

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 7:08 am
Am I allowed to smirk that last week when everyone was rushing around looking for toilet paper, I bought my eggs for Pesach, and they are sitting nice and safe in my Pesach oven?

I know, it's not nice to gloat. My better self is sorry. The other side of me just wants to share my feelings of triumph, that for once I bought the right product.

Reality

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 8:01 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Am I allowed to smirk that last week when everyone was rushing around looking for toilet paper, I bought my eggs for Pesach, and they are sitting nice and safe in my Pesach oven?

I know, it's not nice to gloat. My better self is sorry. The other side of me just wants to share my feelings of triumph, that for once I bought the right product.

No it's not nice!

I also bought last week on the advice of my husband. But I would never brag about it in real life or even on line! Control yourself!!

sky

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:14 am

I also bought last week was still $2/dz - at the time I thought I was over paying.

sky

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 11:20 am
50 lb box potatoes was $30 at bingo today.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 11:57 am

Why on earth do you keep eggs in your oven? I thought once eggs are refrigerated (they are in the store) you have to keep them refrigerated?

aliavi

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 1:09 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I'm buying eggs $7/ dozen from a farm. Cage free and organic - I figure at this time we should have the best nutrition we can afford to stay healthy - plus I don't have to walk into a store.

Someone told me the eggs are low inventory because they are being used in development of corona vaccine. This has to be some kind of urban legend. I know eggs are a vaccine ingredient - but how many can they need just for development and testing?

Eggs are in many vaccines. Some even have shellfish and gelatin. Wherever you get the vaccines they can give you a small font disclosure.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 1:33 pm
asmileaday wrote:
Why on earth do you keep eggs in your oven? I thought once eggs are refrigerated (they are in the store) you have to keep them refrigerated?

In Israel they're not refrigerated in the shop, and the oven is a safe space that is kosher for Pesach and where they won't get knocked over. I won't keep them in the oven once I start using it!

enneamom

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 2:00 pm
In Israel they're not refrigerated in the shop, and the oven is a safe space that is kosher for Pesach and where they won't get knocked over. I won't keep them in the oven once I start using it!

AFAIK you should refrigerate them. In Israel and Europe the eggs still have the protective outer coating. In the US, they remove the outer coating during processing, which makes the eggs more perishable.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 3:24 pm
mamma llama wrote:
A local grocery where I live announced a limit of 4 dozen eggs and the 5th dozen is $19.99 wondering

ETA: $19.99 is the cost of only the 5th dozen. You still have to pay for the other 4...

Maybe they're rashioning them! We are only allowed 2 trays per person at the moment and they're really expensive (UK, £4.49)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen