Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Zoom can not be used at the Seder (see article)
1  2  Next

singleagain

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 6:20 pm
Someone just sent me this article that seems to say that this year, if you start zoom before chag, you can leave it running and use it. Here is a link and I will also post the article

http://www.israelnationalnews......Y3myg

Halakhic ruling: 'Zoom' software can be used during Seder
Group of rabbis issue halakhic ruling permitting holding of Seder in presence of software that connects elders and their families.

Arutz Sheva Staff , 24/03/20 23:33

Passover Seder
Passover SederNati Shohat/Flash 90
A group of rabbis, including Rabbi Eliyahu Abergel, head of Jerusalem's rabbinical court, the Chief of Rabbi of Kiryat Gat Rabbi Shlomo Ben Hamo, and Rabbi Aharon Cohen of Yakir, have signed a halakhic ruling permitting the Passover Seder to be held in the presence of the “Zoom” program.

The ruling refers to the possibility of holding the Seder with the software being opened before the start of the holiday, so that elderly people who cannot be physically close to their family members due to the coronavirus epidemic can hold the Seder while seeing their family through the program.

The rabbis state in the ruling that there is no need to worry about the issue of operating the program, since it is launched before the start of the holiday.

Regarding the concern that they will be lenient on this issue on other holidays as well, the rabbis state that there is no place for such concerns since it is clear that these days are a time of emergency and the permit is only valid for an emergency.

"Therefore we are permitting, stressing that this is only for emergencies, and only for the purpose of this year’s Seder for those who need it. And just as they permit a non-dangerous patient to receive treatment on Shabbat so as to cure him of his illness, so is the case here," the rabbis wrote.

[Title edited by a mod to include the word "not."]

PeanutMama

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 6:24 pm
Eeeeerrrmmmhhhhhhhh

happyone

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 6:28 pm
this seems like a slippery slope

Ravenclaw

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 6:50 pm
I think that’s silly. I mean, unless they are actually worried about the elderly person being alone and needing emergency care. Like if it’s actually dangerous for them to be alone I mean. But considering the article was about a Seder and not monitoring... I doubt that’s what the point was.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 6:52 pm
These are some very respected rabbanim. I'm guessing they issued this psak based on numerous shailos that have come their way.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 6:52 pm
There is a retraction posted, by Rabbi Yair Hoffman, that it is not ok (he details the reasons why and gives names of the posek he spoke to).

asmileaday

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 6:53 pm
Free zoom accounts end after 40 minutes so how much monitoring can you get in...

sub

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 6:54 pm
I remember during yom kippur war people left radios on to hear what was happening in eretz yisroel.

singleagain

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 7:05 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
There is a retraction posted, by Rabbi Yair Hoffman, that it is not ok (he details the reasons why and gives names of the posek he spoke to).

Do you have a link to that?

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 7:08 pm
Cant link on my phone but I saw it on either vosisneias or ywn.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 7:09 pm
sub wrote:
I remember during yom kippur war people left radios on to hear what was happening in eretz yisroel.

Leaving on a radio has far less halachic ramifications than participating in a video chat on Yom Tov.

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 7:12 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:

It's not a retraction, it's a rebuttal.

lifesagift

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 7:48 pm
They retracted check out vin again.

singleagain

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 7:53 pm
lifesagift wrote:
They retracted check out vin again.

Link?

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 7:55 pm
singleagain wrote:
Someone just sent me this article that seems to say that this year, if you start zoom before chag, you can leave it running and use it. Here is a link and I will also post the article

Group of rabbis issue halakhic ruling permitting holding of Seder in presence of software that connects elders and their families.

Passover Seder
A group of rabbis, including Rabbi Eliyahu Abergel, head of Jerusalem's rabbinical court, the Chief of Rabbi of Kiryat Gat Rabbi Shlomo Ben Hamo, and Rabbi Aharon Cohen of Yakir, have signed a halakhic ruling permitting the Passover Seder to be held in the presence of the “Zoom” program.

The ruling refers to the possibility of holding the Seder with the software being opened before the start of the holiday, so that elderly people who cannot be physically close to their family members due to the coronavirus epidemic can hold the Seder while seeing their family through the program.

The rabbis state in the ruling that there is no need to worry about the issue of operating the program, since it is launched before the start of the holiday.

Regarding the concern that they will be lenient on this issue on other holidays as well, the rabbis state that there is no place for such concerns since it is clear that these days are a time of emergency and the permit is only valid for an emergency.

"Therefore we are permitting, stressing that this is only for emergencies, and only for the purpose of this year’s Seder for those who need it. And just as they permit a non-dangerous patient to receive treatment on Shabbat so as to cure him of his illness, so is the case here," the rabbis wrote.

When Rav Chaim agrees with this, or another of such caliber....

tichellady

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 7:56 pm
Asked my rabbi about to. He said he would only allow for specific situations not as a blanket ok, but yes it is ok under certain conditions

lifesagift

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 7:57 pm
https://vosizneias.com/2020/03.....cted/

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 8:01 pm
singleagain wrote:

Passover Seder

Listen to this....

He addresses it....

https://www.thelakewoodscoop.c......html

I am the first to be against unnecessary chumrot

But this very easily descend to Conservstive/reform

Ellie7

Post Tue, Mar 24 2020, 10:07 pm
I’m not saying anyone should follow this—and I certainly won’t—but the article from Rabbi Hoffman is NOT a retraction. It’s a different opinion.

(Edited to fix typo.)

Last edited by Ellie7 on Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total

octopus

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 4:57 am
I don't know why article was published. This was a private psak under specific circumstances ,not a heter across the board.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics