Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Are men more likely to get the virus?
Previous  1  2

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 1:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it just what I am seeing, are men and pregnant women more likely to contract the virus?

I just want to reassure all pregnant women like me... My hospital's maternity department sent out a letter saying that there's no current evidence that pregnancy makes this virus worse BH. they still want everyone to be extra cautious but they don't want us to worry.

Yes you're more at risk for everything in pregnancy but hopefully this will not be bad.

nchr

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 2:01 pm
gold21 wrote:
Is that a real thing?

Yes. That is true.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 2:01 pm
As far as simply catching the virus, men probably shake hands more and wash hands less than women do but I realize that is a stereotypical generalization.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 2:10 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
If anything, this shows that he was right all along.

Exactly!! They're not being over dramatic! They just really feel sicker than we do when they have a cold

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 2:11 pm
gold21 wrote:
No, not my husband....
But men are actually dying of covid about at a 50 percent or higher rate than women are.

In general, men feel sicker than women when they have a cold. They're symptoms are worse. And they're not just being big babies about it

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 2:39 pm
My relative who is a doctor in ICU said the common denominator so far for all the young people is poor sleep hygiene and poor diet.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 2:39 pm
From a half reliable source I heard smoking ( regular and vaping) and heart disease is a factor, as well as lung problems.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 2:42 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
From a half reliable source I heard smoking ( regular and gaping) and heart disease is a factor, as well as lung problems.

Smoking likely not extremely significant because of the amount of people who smoke in China and Italy and death rates are still very low for young individuals. Many people who smoke have other health concerns though.. also men and women smoke equally in Italy and men are still hit harder. Always good to stop smoking though.

UQT

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 3:45 pm
I was wondering if the men were exposed in BMG and got it first.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 4:09 pm
FTR, I'm not asking who gets sicker when afflicted. I'm asking about contracting the virus, seems men are more prone to get it.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 4:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
FTR, I'm not asking who gets sicker when afflicted. I'm asking about contracting the virus, seems men are more prone to get it.

It could be that a man and a lady will both have it, but the woman will be asymptomatic, or have very very mild symptoms that are barely noticeable. So you assume the lady doesnt have it at all. But in reality, they both have it, however the man is sicker.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:09 pm
I have a shtickel theory which I hope remains theoretical.

Maybe the men all caught the virus in shul or what, are sick now and ch"v transmitting it to their spouses and next week will be ladies week.

Unless the secular world proves my OP, men are just more vulnerable to the virus.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:13 pm
Men in general are more susceptible to viruses, and women to autoimmune diseases.

gold21

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:39 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
It could be that a man and a lady will both have it, but the woman will be asymptomatic, or have very very mild symptoms that are barely noticeable. So you assume the lady doesnt have it at all. But in reality, they both have it, however the man is sicker.

Exactly

gold21

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:42 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Men in general are more susceptible to viruses, and women to autoimmune diseases.

Are fatalities from flu higher in men than women? I would be interested in seeing a flu vs covid gender comparison. Would be relevant info.

Cpg

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 7:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

No, humans are naive to SARS COV 2 (we do not have immunity). Since we have no immunity, anyone who is exposed to the virus will become infected.

Is it possible that men are more likely to be exposed? I guess so--maybe men are going out more, being more physically interactive with the world, more likely to have friends who don't cover their mouth when the cough - - I have no idea. But if someone with COVID-19 sneezed on your hand and you touched your face, you'd get it (unless you've had it already). Lo aleinu.

And for the person who asked--yes, men are also more likely to die from the flu. https://www.livestories.com/st.....ality

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 3:47 am
Wondering. If I'm quarantined with corona infected dh, how soon or how late after him showing symptoms would I show symptoms if indeed, I've been infected.

Cpg

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 3:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wondering. If I'm quarantined with corona infected dh, how soon or how late after him showing symptoms would I show symptoms if indeed, I've been infected.

2-14 days after exposure for 99% of the population. Average is 5 days. There are some cases where onset of symptoms was longer than 14 days after exposure, but they were outliers. Keep in mind that exposure could be at any time during his illness--just because it's been 14 days since his symptom onset, it doesn't mean you're in the clear. 14 days after he is no longer symptomatic is when you would no longer be likely to develop symptoms. (to clarify - - maybe you were careful at the beginning, so he didn't infect you, but after he started getting better you relaxed and came within 6 FT of him and then he coughed - - you could still develop symptoms 14 days after that)

You can also be infected without being symptomatic.

BzH you should continue to be healthy and well.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics