Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Lipa concert
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

shalhevet

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 3:19 am
So I'm still waiting to hear from someone who intended to go and has asked her own rav...

I find this thread absolutely appalling. People are making fun of rabbonim, implying they don't know what they are doing etc. I have absolutely no idea if the kol korei is real or not, but all I can see is women who have decided they are going to the concert anyway not even interested in finding out. Don't rely on posters; ask your own rav.

Maya

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 3:41 am
shalhevet wrote:
So I'm still waiting to hear from someone who intended to go and has asked her own rav...

I find this thread absolutely appalling. People are making fun of rabbonim, implying they don't know what they are doing etc. I have absolutely no idea if the kol korei is real or not, but all I can see is women who have decided they are going to the concert anyway not even interested in finding out. Don't rely on posters; ask your own rav.

If Rabbanim know what they are doing, then why shouldn't we trust the kol korei?

shalhevet

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 4:03 am
Maya wrote:
shalhevet wrote:

If Rabbanim know what they are doing, then why shouldn't we trust the kol korei?

Because posters here said rabbonims' signatures may have been added there without their knowledge. As I said I have absolutely no idea.

Maya

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 4:11 am
You don't agree that something like that could've happened?

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 9:58 am
Squash wrote:
Rabbonim are often MISLED, yes MISLED into signing stuff.

R' Eli Teitelbaum wrote just that in his article following the ban in Israel. I don't agree with everything R' Teitelbaum writes or his style but he is respected (for those who don't know him, he runs Camp Sdei Chemed, started Dial-A-Daf, and has been a classroom rebbi for decades).

I would like to know why, if they really signed, rabbis believe these machlokes-mongers and are cajoled into signing bans, without attempting to verify the information. Apparently, they inspire confidence in the rabbis. Not to call the producer of the show and talk to him?! Then again, I am not convinced all the names on the flyer actually signed.

This seems to be an anti-Lipa attack only since the Chol Ha'Moed events in Madison Sq. Garden with Barnum and Bailey Circus have been sold-out and approved by various rabbis.

I give lots of credit to S. Mendlowitz. This is not the first time that I have been impressed by how he has handled himself. I heard him years ago on Nachum Segal's show when a girl/woman called in and said how awful-prust Oif Simchas' performance was at his HASC concert. Mendlowitz validated her point and said he would do better in the future.

As for this concert, I noticed in the C.Yossi article about the event, it said:

Quote:
"Though they're always open to new ideas ... their aim is to keep secular influences out of the picture and maintain a concert environment of real kedusha. .. the atmosphere promises to be one of inspiration, ruach, and warmth. Such a tremendous assemblage of yidden should only bring about a kidush Hashem and not hefkerus.

"As we are all aware, there is a long way between lebedigkeit and 'losing control.' So throughout the performance, while crowds will be moved to laugh, to cry, to wonder, and to marvel, they will not be moved to rowdiness or rambunctious behavior. In pursuing the spirit of fun, they will still pursue the essence of tznius."

FINKEL - your son is absolutely right and your question is a good one

Squash

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 10:43 am
omg! I just had a conversation with neighbors in the lobby and the lipa concert came up for discussion. one lady was so proud and said that her fil is behind the whole ban. he needed to be stopped yada yada yada. my mouth was like hanging open and I'm just nodding and saying "really, really? hmmmm, interesting"

she claims her fil said he'll pay lipa for whatever losses he incurs but can't help the advertisers, others investors, etc.

ooooooookkkkkkkaaaaay.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 10:45 am
I firmly believe the four insane videos are what may have prompted the ban, or at least fueled it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rc04_a4MRiU
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kqiMN8hGirM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Cb7.....lated
http://youtube.com/watch?v=v81.....lated

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 10:48 am
Squash wrote:
she claims her fil said he'll pay lipa for whatever losses he incurs but can't help the advertisers, others investors, etc.

Did he consult with a rav before making this move which will, if successful, cause major monetary losses to people?

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 10:49 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I firmly believe the four insane videos are what may have prompted the ban, or at least fueled it.

So you think that people who promote bans watch Youtube videos?! Tongue Out

amother

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 10:52 am
so bottom line, will there be a concert on march 9th or not? did Gertner really back out?
just curious if anyone knows how come they didnt ban the first concert lipa made?

Squash

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 10:53 am
Motek wrote:
Squash wrote:

Did he consult with a rav before making this move which will, if successful, cause major monetary losses to people?

good question. dunno. but she was oh so proud and excited.

Squash

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 10:55 am
Mama Bear wrote:

hardly likely. it's his whole genre, which he was officially going to change now anyway.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

sacohen

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 11:04 am
According to Yeshiva World:

"Yeshiva World has just spoken to Lipa Schmeltzer (Motzei Shabbos 5:45AM EST) and he has informed us that he will not be singing at the “Big Event Concert”. This decision was reached after he consulted with Daas Torah, and talking to leading Gedoley Yisroel."

Squash

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 11:08 am
EXCLUSIVE: Lipa Schmeltzer Backs Out Of Big Event Concert!
February 24, 2008
There has been much talk regarding the Kol Koreh issued by Gedoley Yisroel banning the “Big Event Concert”. Rumors were being spread as to the status of the massive show - which was scheduled for March 9 in Madison Square Garden.

Many people were questioning us why we did not post anything. YWN had consulted with leading Gedolim, and we were instructed not to post anything regarding this issue until now.

Yeshiva World has just spoken to Lipa Schmeltzer (Motzei Shabbos 5:45AM EST) and he has informed us that he will not be singing at the “Big Event Concert”. This decision was reached after he consulted with Daas Torah, and talking to leading Gedoley Yisroel.

Lipa Schmeltzer must be publicly commended for listening to the words and wisdom of true Gedoley Yisroel.

Lipa tells YWN that many people have had issues with the type of material that he has been singing during his career. He always chose to ignore the requests of some of his fans to change his style of singing. Although he did have certain standards that he always kept (never singing for mixed crowds), he many time decided to follow the customers requests - and sing questionable tunes.

Lipa now has decided to make a big change. He has decided to turn over a leaf, and will be changing his entire style of music. He has decided that he does not think that the current style of Jewish music is apropos for Frum people to be listening to.

The past week has been very tough for Lipa and his family. Tough decisions have been made. Major decisions. Decisions about money. Decisions about his future. But Lipa has made the correct decision.

Lipa has met with many Gedoley Yisroel in the past two days, and spent countless hours talking to them. He has decided to forfeit a large sum of money by not singing this concert - and instead chose Daas Torah.

We are sure that Hashem will pay him back double for making the correct decision, and being Mikadesh Shem Shomayim!

Lipa also tells us that he is very concerned that there will be a backlash at the Rabbonim. He is publicly asking everyone to please refrain from making any accusations against any Rabbonim. “There is no reason for anyone to mix into this business, and everyone should rest assured that this was all done Bishalom”, Lipa said. “I don’t want anyone to talk Lashon Hara and Motzei Shem Ra against anyone - especially the Gedolim whom I have tremendous respect for”.

“I have recently started learning Bichavrusa with a leading Rosh Yeshiva, and I promised him that I will never sing any songs which were composed by non-Jews. Being true to my word, I have sang at more then a dozen Chasuna’s since I made that decision - and I have not sang “Yidden”, “Abi-Mileibt”, or “Numa” (Rabbi Nachman M’uman) or any other song that is questionable as to its origin”, Lipa told YWN.

“People should know that this Kol Koreh and ban against The Big Event was not directed at me personally, but at all concerts in general. The Rabbonim felt the need to put their foot down and attempt to stop all future concerts in NY.”

For any further information regarding the status of the Big Event Concert, please call the concert hotline at 718-873-0888.

Squash

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 11:11 am
I must say that I am most impressed with the courage that this person has. May Hashem repay him with only good b'ruchniyus uv'gashmiyus for being mekadesh shem shomayim b'rabim by listening to a psak from rabbonim at great expense.

Motek

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 11:29 am
Squash wrote:
This decision was reached after he consulted with Daas Torah, and talking to leading Gedoley Yisroel.

What are the names of "daas Torah" and "gedolei yisrael"?

Quote:
He has decided that he does not think that the current style of Jewish music is apropos for Frum people to be listening to.

His Eila L'Eila tape of niggunim is exquisite.

I wonder whether the next step will be to issue hechsherim on CD's.

Quote:
He has decided to forfeit a large sum of money by not singing this concert - and instead chose Daas Torah.

They repeated the point. I will repeat my question. What are 'daas torah's" names? Is it a secret?

Squash - if the woman was so proud of her f-I-l, what's his name?

Quote:
“People should know that this Kol Koreh and ban against The Big Event was not directed at me personally, but at all concerts in general. The Rabbonim felt the need to put their foot down and attempt to stop all future concerts in NY.”

Really? No more HASC or Ohel or Miami concerts? That's it for concerts?

And I still want to know why, if this was about concerts in general, they didn't issue the ban BEFORE ANY CONCERT WAS SCHEDULED? Why AFTER the ads and AFTER tickets were sold and AFTER the place was reserved?

Squash

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 11:46 am
motek, the tape you're talkign about is not in his general style.

on a dif site they wrote that he was in discussion with r' shraga hager, kosover rebbe about this for many hours.

timeout

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 12:19 pm
Again - did u even read Yeshiva world news???????????

kjmom

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 12:22 pm
[quote="timeout"]Again - did u even read Yeshiva world news???????????[/quote]

Of course I read it. I personally am saying what I (and many others) think of lipa and his concerts. It is about time the rabbonim do something about it. Continuing the with the way he sang lately, he wil totally take jewish music down the drain as well as the jewish younger generation!

amother

Post Sun, Feb 24 2008, 12:35 pm
Don't they have a contract with WAMU Theater? And what about all the tickets that people bought? How are all the hundreds of people that have tickets gonna get their money back?

And by the way, my husband works with Lipa personally and he is one of the nicest guys! There are so many other singers that have wild styles but noone is running after them!! I dont get it!
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics