Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Mikvah turned someone away
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

lilies

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:07 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Sorry not you.
I meant the woman he mentioned this ‘inyan’ might be confused, and this may be why.

Yes, was trying to understand where her comment came from.

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:07 pm
Every local mikva is going to set the policies they deem necessary to protect their local community. That's their primary obligation. Don't like it? Don't go.

And BTW nobody in their right mind is traveling into NY/NJ right now.

Hey, maybe it was a bracha in disguise when all those greedy landlords drove us out of NYC.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:10 pm
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
My Mikva in Lakewood is turning away anyone who arrived from overseas in that past 14 days.
Is that diff?

As I stated previously, I have no problem with a Mikvah turning people away. I have a problem with imamother's who speak nastily about those from NY and NJ. Trust me, posting something mean on imamother won't convince those who decided to go to FL from going. What it might do, and already has done for me, is to reconsider going there and supporting their institutions.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:10 pm
crust wrote:
Thanks there is no famine now. Ok?
Please let all stressed out women have some fun thank you.

Amother pumpkin please provide the source you are referring to.

Right.
And it’s even more than just fun.
It’s a mitzva to be intimate. “V’hayu lebasar echad” (even without ttc).

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:13 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
I don't get this. NYC is the current virus epicenter of the US. Half of the US cases are from NYS. NYC is lining up refrigerated trucks as makeshift morgues.

So right now, anyone who is from NY or has made a recent stop in NY is considered to be from a disease infested location. What's wrong's with the truth? It's not a time to shield feelings, it's a time to shield health and life.

Well if you really wanted the truth, less than 1% of NY's population has tested positive. That aside, I'm not arguing that disincentivizing people from going from NY to FL is wrong, or that not allowing them into a Mikvah or grocery store is wrong. I have no problem with that as those acts might actually save lives.

Being obnoxious and prejudicial on imamother however, will not.

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:19 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
I guess none of you are coming from Brooklyn. People live in tiny tiny apartments with large families. Some ppl need this for their sanity, shalom bayis...
Imagine having 7 kids (or more) in a 2 bedroom apartment. Having kids home all day and cant go out. Would u stay sane?!?! Dont think I would. I bh moved out of Brooklyn not long ago and appreciating my house lot more now. Thinking back how I lived before - dunno how I wouldve been able to stay sane.

Living in a tiny apartment is NO EXCUSE to take a vacation now! It is not the time now and so selfish to do so! Who in their right mind would even think of taking a vacation now?? Thank god you and your family are healthy. A small apartment isn't an excuse to travel now. It's not so hard to just follow the rules.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:20 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Well if you really wanted the truth, less than 1% of NY's population has tested positive. That aside, I'm not arguing that disincentivizing people from going from NY to FL is wrong, or that not allowing them into a Mikvah or grocery store is wrong. I have no problem with that as those acts might actually save lives.

Being obnoxious and prejudicial on imamother however, will not.

I'm from that area and haven't seen anyone speaking "nastily" about us. You're trying to bring up that less than 1% of ppl have tested positive as proof of anything? How many people do you know that have actually been tested? There aren't enough tests and most people are simply not tested. I know one healthcare worker who tested positive (permitted a test bc they're in healthcare) their family members with the same symptoms can't get tested are just told to assume they have it and stay home. As are most people.

Of the small percentage of people who qualified for a test, there are over 30,000 in NY right now, and that's from people who probably caught it a few weeks ago. It's not insulting to people in NY to say there's a high risk they're carrying. No one is blaming NYers for being sick. What's disgusting is when people carelessly spread it to others.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:29 pm
Here is a quote from the Tomer Devorah of Rav Moshe Kordovero

I am not saying Halacha, I'm just saying there may be an inyan. Feel free to ask your LOR. I doubt this is s/t they'd make a kol korei about...

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:31 pm
cnc wrote:
It is against Florida state law for this woman to go to the Mikvah. She needs to be quarantined for 14 days .

Yes exactly. I think most people responding to this post don’t realize this. And according to the local rabbis, we are supposed to report any visitors who are violating the 14 day quarantine to the authorities. Violating the quarantine is a second degree misdemeanor.

So the person who tried to go to the mikvah 2 days after traveling from NY is lucky she wasn’t given a fine or jail time.

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:35 pm
if you believe you did a "good deed", I would not be bragging about it. working at a mikva is a zchus as I'd expect more of you than to flaunt your tzidkus.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:36 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
Yes exactly. I think most people responding to this post don’t realize this. And according to the local rabbis, we are supposed to report any visitors who are violating the 14 day quarantine to the authorities. Violating the quarantine is a second degree misdemeanor.

So the person who tried to go to the mikvah 2 days after traveling from NY is lucky she wasn’t given a fine or jail time.

Only true if she flew.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:37 pm
Maybe she's posting it as a warning. Because some people don't take things like this seriously without a big reality check.

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:37 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Here is a quote from the Tomer Devorah of Rav Moshe Kordovero

I am not saying Halacha, I'm just saying there may be an inyan. Feel free to ask your LOR. I doubt this is s/t they'd make a kol korei about...

What you are quoting is beautiful.
It says that when she is tahor and they are together they bring the shchina in, but also when she is NIDDA and they keep all the halachos and refrain from being together then they ALSO bring the Shechina in. That is such a beautiful source for bringing the shchina into the home by keeping harchakos and NOT being together during NIDDA.
I’m saving this.
Thank you!

(But it’s not a source for not being together during a magaifa. Just during NiDDA).

ETA: I see it also says at the end that during a time of tzara for the tzibur when the shchina isn’t ”Bain shnai zro’os” ...assur. It’s deep stuff, only big Rabbanim can pasken on that.
So far the Rabbanim did not Pasken not to be intimate. It’s deep Kabbalah stuff.

Generally it’s a mitzva unless there’s a kol korai/ horaas sha’a from prominent gedolai hador otherwise.

yiddishmom

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:38 pm
How do you know where she is from? And how do you know why she is there? Maybe they are there for medical reason. Or maybe they are there the whole winter already.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:38 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Maybe she's posting it as a warning. Because some people don't take things like this seriously without a big reality check.

And I'm sure that an anonymous post on imamother will give people that major reality check

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:40 pm
And I'm sure that an anonymous post on imamother will give people that major reality check

Sure it will. To see there is actual follow through on the rabbanim's statement.
And since you are anon as well, I don't see why you are using that as an argument.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:42 pm
Only true if she flew.

This is incorrect. Feel free to look it up.

56% of cases in the US are in the NY metro area. Each community is doing its best to contain it, and people traveling freely from place to place makes that exceedingly difficult. This law was made to save lives. There is a tremendous financial loss, yet we are all in support because we don't want even one more death.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:43 pm
Sure it will. To see there is actual follow through on the rabbanim's statement.
And since you are anon as well, I don't see why you are using that as an argument.

Exactly. There is really no point in a psak halacha or a law if it will not be enforced. It wasn't meant to make a point, it was meant to be followed strictly.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:46 pm
The rabbanim in FL actually did put out a statement about this, including also not providing kosher food or any services to those who come from out of state. Mikvah was included.

Starting when?

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 5:48 pm
yiddishmom wrote:
How do you know where she is from? And how do you know why she is there? Maybe they are there for medical reason. Or maybe they are there the whole winter already.

It doesnt matter. The community has a right to set policy for their own mikva. Anyone who feels they have extenuating circumstances should call the mikva and discuss it in advance.
Page 4 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics