Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers
Crockpot brand that does not require tevilah

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 25 2020, 10:59 pm
Hi, is there a jewish/israeli company that makes crockpots so that they crockpot would not need to be toiveled?

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 12:17 am
Never heard of this. The rabbis around here are telling us not to toivel anything, to do something (sorry, didn't pay such close attention because I have nothing new to take) where you gift (or maybe sell?) your new pot (or dish or spoon or blender or whatever) to a non-Jew (can be done remotely) but it's left in your posession so now you can use it without toiveling and G-d willing one day when a dish mikvah is a safe place again you acquire back your pot from the non-Jew and toivel it then.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 12:18 am
Hmm, I did not hear that but will definitely ask our Rav. Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 8:36 am
I don't know of any Jewish brands of crockpots with no tevilla required.

Baltimore rabbanim announced a hefker heter for this year, with toiveling to happen after this situation

https://baltimorejewishlife.co.....29019

"Tevilas Kelim/Immersion of Food Utensils in a Mikva.
As is well known, food utensils (e.g. pots,
pans, cutlery, drinking glasses, etc.) require Tevilas Kelim. However, to avoid overcrowding at the Kelim Mikva, which would create a serious public health concern, effective immediately the Kelim Mikvaos have been closed. Because of these extenuating circumstances one may rely on the leniency that utensils that are “hefker” (ownerless) or not belonging to a Jew, do not require tevila. This can be accomplished in the following manner:
a. If Purchasing Utensils from a Non-Jew - Before purchasing such utensils from a non-Jew, declare or have the following specifically in mind: “I am not acquiring these utensils. Even when I pay for them and take them home, they will not belong to me.”
b. If You Already Acquired Utensils or You are Purchasing them from a Jewish-Owned Store -
If you already own utensils that were not toveled (e.g. you already purchased them but did
not yet immerse them in the mikva) or uou purchased or received utensils as a gift from
someone Jewish, you must make the utensils “hefker” (ownerless) before using them.
• Follow these instructions: Arrange a conference call via phone or online with three
men over Bar Mitzva who know you and recognize your voice. At least one of them should be at least 18 years old. At least two of them should not be your relative or
relatives of each other. Tell the three men on the phone, “I hereby declare that all of the utensilsthat are mine that have not been toveled yet, are now hefker (ownerless).”
The three men should acknowledge your statement by responding, “Okay.” If you purchase additional such utensils afterwards, this procedure must be repeated.
Contact your Rav if you need further instructions or help in setting up such a conference call.
This is a special leniency that one can rely upon only during the current situation of pikuach nefesh (risk to life). When things return to normal, bez”H, one may not rely on the above method.
NOTE: Once the Kelim Mikva reopens you will be required to reacquire the utensils by picking them up and then toveling them (with a bracha, if required). Therefore, it is important that you carefully mark or
keep track of which utensils were not toveled, so that you will know which items need tevila in the future."

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 1:28 pm
a crockpot is earthenware and doesn't require tevilah anyway.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Working Women -> Work at Home Mothers