Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Unorthodox on Netflix
  Previous  1  2  3 19 20  21  22  Next

Ashrei

Post Sat, Apr 04 2020, 11:24 pm
I loved this series. I thought the acting and story was good.
I am not chossidish, I was yeshivish for a while, and I have my own story and felt connected to a lot of the main character's emotions during different situations.
The movie is for entertainment; for story telling. It's understandable why members of the community it depicts would take it so seriously, but I wonder if you remove the issues with minute details, if it's not something that could somehow happen to someone, overall?
Anyway, I recommend it Smile

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 12:48 am
dancingqueen wrote:
I’m getting a little bit of a sour grapes vibe from this Freida Vizel.

Actually, she is a tour guide in Williamsburg. Unorthodox is obviously very good news for her.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 8:58 am
Just watched 3rd episode.
Omg I have never cringed so hard in my entire life.
I rate this show 4/10.
I will NOT be continuing to watch, and I will move right back to where I am holding in my 4th rerun of The Office.
Thank you.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 9:30 am
pause wrote:
...while suffering from vaginismus...

Sometimes s-xual dysfunction can be significantly less with a different partner.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 9:41 am
pause wrote:
...while suffering from vaginismus...

She did not have vaginismus!
What she DID have, tho, was a terrible husband who raped her and never even TRIED a tiny tiny bit of f0replay.
DUUUUHHHHHH it hurt her.

malki2

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 10:13 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
She did not have vaginismus!
What she DID have, tho, was a terrible husband who raped her and never even TRIED a tiny tiny bit of f0replay.
DUUUUHHHHHH it hurt her.

Good. Now let me ask you: Was your husband like this? Did ANYONE on this site have a husband like this? When people produce and broadcast trash like this, it gives the impression to the rest of the world that this is the standard in the entire Jewish Frum world which the entire secular world lumps together with Chasidim. Same as the lie about the hole in the sheet. So why would anyone here watch and praise a garbage show such as this? This is not entertainment, but rather anti-Frum propaganda, and you are all supporting it by watching. There is a special place in hell for anyone Jewish involved in its production, and Rosh Verishon Deborah Feldman or whatever her name is.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 12:07 pm
malki2 wrote:
Good. Now let me ask you: Was your husband like this? Did ANYONE on this site have a husband like this? When people produce and broadcast trash like this, it gives the impression to the rest of the world that this is the standard in the entire Jewish Frum world which the entire secular world lumps together with Chasidim. Same as the lie about the hole in the sheet. So why would anyone here watch and praise a garbage show such as this? This is not entertainment, but rather anti-Frum propaganda, and you are all supporting it by watching. There is a special place in hell for anyone Jewish involved in its production, and Rosh Verishon Deborah Feldman or whatever her name is.

Yes!! Yes, I know people who have husbands that acted like this.. your callous reply is just indicative of how blind people can be. I actually know a woman who was raped on her wedding night 40 years ago, divorced him right after sheva bruches. HE is full of regrets, bec. with maturity he recognized what he did. This is not he's a horrible human being. this is an the boys are not prepared.. theyr'e not prepared for their own feelings. they're not used to even talkign to women. I'm grateful for Deborah Feldman for sharing her story. I hope theres a continuation, just to open your blinded eyes.

malki2

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 12:10 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Yes!! Yes, I know people who have husbands that acted like this.. your callous reply is just indicative of how blind people can be. I actually know a woman who was raped on her wedding night 40 years ago, divorced him right after sheva bruches. HE is full of regrets, bec. with maturity he recognized what he did. This is not he's a horrible human being. this is an the boys are not prepared.. theyr'e not prepared for their own feelings. they're not used to even talkign to women. I'm grateful for Deborah Feldman for sharing her story. I hope theres a continuation, just to open your blinded eyes.

And this is justification to paint the other 99 percent of us with the same brush?

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 12:11 pm
malki2 wrote:
And this is justification to paint the other 99 percent of us with the same brush?

You didn't watch the show. You don't know.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 12:21 pm
malki2 wrote:

No. There is no justification for it.

Fact of life;
Whenever you hear someone painting an entire community with one huge brush there is something unhealed there.

I bet you Deborah Feldman never did real deep healing work hence the book and the movie and whatever else is coming

Having said that, you can block this thread if it makes you upset. This is not new. We had haters from within in all generations.

The Maram M'Rottenberg was in jail for years because of a musar. How many blood libels have we gone through? How many false information was spread about us bchol dor vdor?

What Deborah Feldman did is modern day mesira. Badmouthing a Jewish community to the world. What a mitzvah.
Oh yea, she had to come out. Really now. There was/is no other way. Give me a break. There is.

Bh we live in a malchus shel chesed and hopefully this does not come back to bite us.

But before we put it all on her let's have a look on ourselves.
Are we ok?
How much info, true or false, are we spreading online or on WhatsApp groups?

We can all take upon ourselves to do tsuvah in this area. To stop spreading info whether false or real.

There is a movement called stop the spread. I will come back to post the video if I will have time.

lilies

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 12:23 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
You didn't watch the show. You don't know.

One doesn't need to eat bacon to know it's treif.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 12:36 pm
lilies wrote:
One doesn't need to eat bacon to know it's treif.

we know bacon is treif because the Torah tells us so.

I watched the show. I didn't see it as painting a whole community with one brush.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 12:40 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
Actually, she is a tour guide in Williamsburg. Unorthodox is obviously very good news for her.

Right - the Brooklyn tourism industry is thriving now.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 12:42 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
I didn't see it as painting a whole community with one brush.

Everyone sees everything through their own lens.

We need to realize that just because something isn't our reality, doesn't invalidate everyone else's life experience. I feel like I'm sitting in a room full of privileged white people, who are saying how happy they are that racism doesn't exist anymore. Rolling Eyes

This world needs more sympathy for people who are hurting (and I don't mean endorsing an offensive point of view.) Instead of condemning, listen to other people's experiences, and ask yourself how you can make the world a better, more Torahdik place.

Hillery

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 1:10 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:

I watched the show. I didn't see it as painting a whole community with one brush.

This isn't about painting a whole community with one brush, but with presenting a caricature and pretending it's reality.

Just so you, and all the others who don't see what's wrong with this show, let me put it this way: imagine if there was a show about blacks or Asians or Muslims, and they were portrayed in this kind of cartoonish, stereotypical way, would that not offend your sensibilities?

I dare say all the liberals would be up in arms at this racist show, that mocks and denigrates whichever minority it would be depicting. Nobody would care that all these stereotypes do sometimes occur.

So why, when this is done to your own people and your own Hashem, does it become an emotional and beautiful story?

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 1:19 pm
Hillery wrote:
This isn't about painting a whole community with one brush, but with presenting a caricature and pretending it's reality.

Just so you, and all the others who don't see what's wrong with this show, let me put it this way: imagine if there was a show about blacks or Asians or Muslims, and they were portrayed in this kind of cartoonish, stereotypical way, would that not offend your sensibilities?

I dare say all the liberals would be up in arms at this racist show, that mocks and denigrates whichever minority it would be depicting. Nobody would care that all these stereotypes do sometimes occur.

So why, when this is done to your own people and your own Hashem, does it become an emotional and beautiful story?

I didn't say there was nothing wrong with the show. Pick on another poster.

lilies

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 1:21 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:

Great! You can disregard many posts on this thread then.
Many people do see this as a reflection of her community. This thread is geared for them.

lilies

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 1:22 pm
Hillery wrote:

Well said.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 1:28 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Right - the Brooklyn tourism industry is thriving now.

The tour guide thing is her gig becasue she's not as successful with what she wanted to do ... w hich is write. so she can be sour grapes, even if this will improve her tourist business.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 1:29 pm
lilies wrote:
Great! You can disregard many posts on this thread then.
Many people do see this as a reflection of her community. This thread is geared for them.

This thread is open to any member of the site. This would be true even had you started the thread, which you didn't.
Page 20 of 22   Previous  1  2  3 19 20  21  22  Next Recent Topics