Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Unorthodox on Netflix
  Previous  1  2  3 20  21  22  Next

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 1:42 pm
lilies wrote:
Great! You can disregard many posts on this thread then.
Many people do see this as a reflection of her community. This thread is geared for them.

My response was specifically to your bacon post. I didn't find the metaphor appropriate.

lilies

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 1:51 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
My response was specifically to your bacon post. I didn't find the metaphor appropriate.

Wasn't a metaphor.
It's an extreme example of something one can have knowledge about without the experience. It was a response to the 'you haven't watched it' comment. No connection to the topic at hand.

lilies

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 2:01 pm
imasoftov wrote:
This thread is open to any member of the site. This would be true even had you started the thread, which you didn't.

Not following your train of thought.
My response was to one poster stating she does not paint the community with one stroke. Many comments on this thread are defending the way the community is portrayed in the movie.
If someone watches the movie and understands this is just one person's dysfunctional experience, dramatized for the viewer. Great.
If someone watches the movie and thinks her experience is the norm in the community, see the posts for clarity. There aren't any movies portraying this community's healthy, functioning, and beautiful lifestyle. It's easy to think 'This is what happens behind closed doors'.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 2:08 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Everyone sees everything through their own lens.

We need to realize that just because something isn't our reality, doesn't invalidate everyone else's life experience. I feel like I'm sitting in a room full of privileged white people, who are saying how happy they are that racism doesn't exist anymore. Rolling Eyes

This world needs more sympathy for people who are hurting (and I don't mean endorsing an offensive point of view.) Instead of condemning, listen to other people's experiences, and ask yourself how you can make the world a better, more Torahdik place.

Unorthodox isn't the way to garner sympathy for those who are hurting.

malki2

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 2:14 pm
lilies wrote:
Wasn't a metaphor.
It's an extreme example of something one can have knowledge about without the experience. It was a response to the 'you haven't watched it' comment. No connection to the topic at hand.

Sorry, I had meant to respond to someone else.

malki2

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 2:16 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
You didn't watch the show. You don't know.

Yes, I admit, I haven’t watched it. I may not be a genius, but I am smart enough to understand what it’s about based on the 2-minute trailer that shows her about to get jumped by her husband and then in bed with the guy from Germany. I know how to add two and two. Then I read some of the reviews, plus I have all the input from you guys. Plus I saw all the lovely YouTube comments from all the non-Jewish viewers who completely misunderstood Jews, Judaism, and Chasidim. Do I actually need to binge-watch the entire series to understand that she has painful s@x with an insensitive husband on her wedding night?

imasoftov

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 2:43 pm
lilies wrote:
Not following your train of thought.
My response was to one poster stating she does not paint the community with one stroke.

You wrote: "Many people do see this as a reflection of her community. This thread is geared for them."

Those people are entitled to post, as is anyone else. This thread isn't "geared" for anyone in particular.

If you meant that your post, rather than this thread, is directed at people of a particular opinion, you could have said that, and it's not too late to go back and edit.

lilies

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 2:59 pm
imasoftov wrote:
You wrote: "Many people do see this as a reflection of her community. This thread is geared for them."

Those people are entitled to post, as is anyone else. This thread isn't "geared" for anyone in particular.

If you meant that your post, rather than this thread, is directed at people of a particular opinion, you could have said that, and it's not too late to go back and edit.

Of course, everyone is entitled to post. I haven't said otherwise.
In my opinion, being that this thread is about a movie depicting a person's experience in a 'closed community' there are many posts explaining its inaccuracies and wrong portrayal for those thinking it's objectively true. Anyone able to see this as a personal experience, in no way reflecting the community, can skim over all those posts. It isn't 'geared' to them.

You seem to be nitpicking my words, I don't see any reason to go back and edit.

Anyone reading this thread can scroll down and see my posts. I haven't attacked anyone or said anything in a nasty tone.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 3:41 pm
malki2 wrote:
Yes, I admit, I haven’t watched it. I may not be a genius, but I am smart enough to understand what it’s about based on the 2-minute trailer that shows her about to get jumped by her husband and then in bed with the guy from Germany. I know how to add two and two. Then I read some of the reviews, plus I have all the input from you guys. Plus I saw all the lovely YouTube comments from all the non-Jewish viewers who completely misunderstood Jews, Judaism, and Chasidim. Do I actually need to binge-watch the entire series to understand that she has painful s@x with an insensitive husband on her wedding night?

Nothing to admit - you were very clear that you didn't watch it. It was really hard to come off watching that show understanding that Esti's experience is everyone's experience.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 3:53 pm
lilies wrote:
Wasn't a metaphor.

Actually the only way to know that bacon is treif is to understand what treif is. Eating it isn't going to give you that information.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 3:57 pm
Btw I thought her last song- the chupa song was awful. Was she supposed to be a good singer. The first song she sang sounded good.
Also the whole zex part was really shameful. You can’t have that only the only Movie orthodox people. It’s like all of them do it like a rape. And so satmer really do it with clothes on?

pause

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 4:50 pm
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
Btw I thought her last song- the chupa song was awful. Was she supposed to be a good singer. The first song she sang sounded good.
Also the whole zex part was really shameful. You can’t have that only the only Movie orthodox people. It’s like all of them do it like a rape. And so satmer really do it with clothes on?

No, they don't.

malki2

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 5:08 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
Nothing to admit - you were very clear that you didn't watch it. It was really hard to come off watching that show understanding that Esti's experience is everyone's experience.

I guess you don’t understand how propaganda works. I guess you never heard of the myths of horns and the hole in the sheet and of blood libels. I guess you also missed the YouTube comments.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 8:38 pm
Deborah Feldman is out there trying to make a buck by portraying the orthodox community as abackwards pitiful life. I would never look at it just reading what its about- nudity and full of lies and exaggerations. I'm not even going into our beautiful woman who bring up beautiful families the same time they have careers and degrees. Some help their husbands continue learning some can use double income. Our women are CEOs nurses accountant etc. What did she amount to flirting and flying around the world hanging out with all kind of men. She's blaming her past for her frivolous lifestyle. Every adult is responsible for their actions. Let her look around at the BTs hundreds of thousands that sep up Jewish homes how fulfilled and happy they are. The end of the day she'll have nothing to show for it. A lonely wh***

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 8:47 pm
Calling someone a wh*** is disgusting.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 8:49 pm
malki2 wrote:
I guess you don’t understand how propaganda works. I guess you never heard of the myths of horns and the hole in the sheet and of blood libels. I guess you also missed the YouTube comments.

All of the above statements are false.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 8:52 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
All of the above statements are false.

How would you know? The statement was that she guesses. If that is indeed her guess, the statement is true, even if her guesses are incorrect.

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 8:56 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
How would you know? The statement was that she guesses. If that is indeed her guess, the statement is true, even if her guesses are incorrect.

Okay. Her guesses about me are incorrect.

malki2

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 10:34 pm
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
Calling someone a wh*** is disgusting.

A wh*re is someone who compromises herself for monetary or other benefit. Hence . . .

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Apr 05 2020, 10:41 pm
malki2 wrote:
A wh*re is someone who compromises herself for monetary or other benefit. Hence . . .

Hence nothing.
Page 21 of 22   Previous  1  2  3 20  21  22  Next Recent Topics