Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
New: Covid19 is violating all rules that we thought we know
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 4:02 pm
Over 70, prior health conditions, healthcare workers, we thought those were at risk. It's over. This corona monster is now seizing victims right and left, not sparing genders, health or occupation.

A young father of 3 just died of covid19 just like that. This is getting real. Only Hashem can protect us as I doubt ANYTHING we do at this point will save us.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 4:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Over 70, prior health conditions, healthcare workers, we thought those were at risk. It's over. This corona monster is now seizing victims right and left, not sparing genders, health or occupation.

A young father of 3 just died of covid19 just like that. This is getting real. Only Hashem can protect us as I doubt ANYTHING we do at this point will save us.

And heart attacks generally only effect people over 75. But there are people under 40 who die from heart attacks. But I don't see a post every time that happens. One person does not disprove what we do know about the disease.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 4:04 pm
Yes, I just saw on YWN that a 39 year old father of 6 with no prior health conditions was niftar after being diagnosed 3 days ago. Hashem yiracheim!!!

sequoia

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 4:10 pm
A 36-year-old woman died today.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 4:11 pm
The ppl I heard who died were healthy under 60.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 4:22 pm
My personal theory - you can take it or leave it - is that fear is making otherwise healthy people weak. Look how stressed out everyone is. Look how terrified people are. This takes a huge toll on a person’s mental AND physical health.
Stop looking at news and statistics and scary social media memes all day long. Find what to be grateful- even happy for - and smile, laugh, trust in HaShem!
This is NOT meant to diminish the seriousness of the virus or the realness of people who are very sick or losing loved ones.
It’s just that this fear does not serve us. It hurts us. And I think it’s the reason we’re seeing younger people now getting more sick.
May Hashem bless the world now with good health and Mashiach now!!

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 4:29 pm
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
My personal theory - you can take it or leave it - is that fear is making otherwise healthy people weak. Look how stressed out everyone is. Look how terrified people are. This takes a huge toll on a person’s mental AND physical health.
Stop looking at news and statistics and scary social media memes all day long. Find what to be grateful- even happy for - and smile, laugh, trust in HaShem!
This is NOT meant to diminish the seriousness of the virus or the realness of people who are very sick or losing loved ones.
It’s just that this fear does not serve us. It hurts us. And I think it’s the reason we’re seeing younger people now getting more sick.
May Hashem bless the world now with good health and Mashiach now!!

THe ppl I knew were real Baal emunah. Not on the internet or reading the news.

ora_43

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 4:31 pm
No medical expert ever said that Covid19 only kills elderly people. Elderly people are at much higher risk, but Covid19 is still fatal to around 0.2% of people ages 20-40.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 5:02 pm
I keep seeing reports of young people who had no pre-existing conditions and were perfectly healthy, who died of COVID-19.

What I want to know, but is never written, is: Were they smokers or living with a smoker??

I wish articles would state that bit of information. It is SO important.

amother
Natural

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 5:09 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
And heart attacks generally only effect people over 75. But there are people under 40 who die from heart attacks. But I don't see a post every time that happens. One person does not disprove what we do know about the disease.

If there were a sudden cluster of heart attacks in people in your community after coming in contact with other people with heart attacks, you better believe people would be posting wanting to know what's going on.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 5:19 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
I keep seeing reports of young people who had no pre-existing conditions and were perfectly healthy, who died of COVID-19.

What I want to know, but is never written, is: Were they smokers or living with a smoker??

I wish articles would state that bit of information. It is SO important.

It's not very relevant because although smoking is unhealthy, a huge portion of smokers are found in China and Italy, where the death rates are still very low for healthy young individuals. The concern Is with smokers who have other conditions from smoking like COPD which young smokers likely do not have BH.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 5:26 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
It's not very relevant because although smoking is unhealthy, a huge portion of smokers are found in China and Italy, where the death rates are still very low for healthy young individuals. The concern Is with smokers who have other conditions from smoking like COPD which young smokers likely do not have BH.

Well it is relevant, because smoking harms the respiratory tract and COVID-19 is a respiratory illness.
It's possible that the reason that China and Italy saw so many young deaths is that their smoking rates are so high.

I want to know if these young people were smokers. And what percent of healthy young non-smokers are at risk of serious complications or death.

Because if the death rate for young smokers is .2%, and the complication rate is 18%, but the death rate for young non-smokers is .00002% and THEIR complication rate is 1%, then I have a lot less to worry about and can breathe a lot easier.

Of course I'll keep the quarantines, I don't want blood on my hands, but at least I'd know that 99.9999%, my own family is safe.

That means a lot to me.

The other reason that this information is so important is that it allows smokers to choose life and quit now. The sooner they quit and the longer time passes between quitting and being exposed to/ contracting COVID-19, the better their chances of life and recovery.

People have a right to know these statistics. It's not right for the system to hide it from us.

The only reason maybe for hiding it is if Big Smoking is paying for the ventilators (which there aren't enough of). Are they? Pretty sure no, at this point.

And I don't care if Big Smoking loses business. Let this pandemic send them out of business, the world will be a healthier place for it.

Smokers deserve to know the stats. Their spouses deserve to know the stats.
Non-smokers deserve to know the stats.

This is important.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 5:29 pm

Also, you're wrong. Smoking in itself does enough harm that there shouldn't have to be an "additional" condition to put the smokers in a high-risk category and raise their risk significantly.

But we'll only know how it interacts with COVID-19 if hospitals start asking about and publishing the information.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 5:32 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Well it is relevant, because smoking harms the respiratory tract and COVID-19 is a respiratory illness.
It's possible that the reason that China and Italy saw so many young deaths is that their smoking rates are so high.

I want to know if these young people were smokers. And what percent of healthy young non-smokers are at risk of serious complications or death.

Because if the death rate for young smokers is .2%, and the complication rate is 18%, but the death rate for young non-smokers is .00002% and THEIR complication rate is 1%, then I have a lot less to worry about and can breathe a lot easier.

Of course I'll keep the quarantines, I don't want blood on my hands, but at least I'd know that 99.9999%, my own family is safe.

That means a lot to me.

The other reason that this information is so important is that it allows smokers to choose life and quit now. The sooner they quit and the longer time passes between quitting and being exposed to/ contracting COVID-19, the better their chances of life and recovery.

People have a right to know these statistics. It's not right for the system to hide it from us.

The only reason maybe for hiding it is if Big Smoking is paying for the ventilators (which there aren't enough of). Are they? Pretty sure no, at this point.

And I don't care if Big Smoking loses business. Let this pandemic send them out of business, the world will be a healthier place for it.

Smokers deserve to know the stats. Their spouses deserve to know the stats.
Non-smokers deserve to know the stats.

This is important.

China and Italy did not see many young deaths. That's exactly why smoking is not significant at this time. Call the CDC. I don't get your saying. Smoking isn't healthy. Smoking is not good. Smoking puts people at risk for many things. But its risk alone, absent other conditions, is likely not SIGNIFICANT (as in as significant as diabetes or COPD) in regard to COVID19 with the information we currently have. Not saying it is innocent or healthy or not a factor at all just not a hugely significant one if that makes sense.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 5:48 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
Also, you're wrong. Smoking in itself does enough harm that there shouldn't have to be an "additional" condition to put the smokers in a high-risk category and raise their risk significantly.

But we'll only know how it interacts with COVID-19 if hospitals start asking about and publishing the information.

Jade, I apologize if I came off flippant or misleading. That is not what I had intended. I had based my statements on things I read and yes we need transparent data which will come with time. Wishing you and all of klal Yisroel health.

ora_43

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 5:50 pm
Smoking isn't healthy. Smoking is not good. Smoking puts people at risk for many things. But its risk alone, absent other conditions, is likely not SIGNIFICANT (as in as significant as diabetes or COPD) in regard to COVID19 with the information we currently have. Not saying it is innocent or healthy or not a factor at all just not a hugely significant one if that makes sense.

I don't think this is accurate. It's too early to say for sure, but data from China seems to show that smoking is a significant factor in severity of covid19 cases. The EU's version of the CDC just recommended considering smokers an at-risk group.

amother-Jade, I don't think anyone's trying to hide it - I've seen the idea floated in a bunch of mainstream news articles. It's just that it's too early to be sure, and people don't want to sound more certain than they are.

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 6:44 pm
I would like to make an interesting point. Many people have medical conditions that are not known to the public. I, unfortunately, spend a lot of time in hospitals and know people with various medical conditions that they choose to keep private, many times even from very close family members. I, personally, know 2 people who passed away that did have medical conditions but is not general knowledge and everyone is busy panicking that young, perfectly healthy person has just dropped dead from coronavirus.

I am not saying its not happening. I have no idea, I'm not privy to anyone medical records and I don't have access to city records. My point is don't believe everything you hear and don't panic. You need to do the right thing - stay home with your 0family, leave your house only if its urgent like grocery shopping while maintaining social distance and keep washing your hands with soap and water. More than that you can't do, and panicking will just make you more miserable

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 6:55 pm
50% of ppl in hospitals are under 60.
Maybe it’s because older ppl took extra precautions.
The numbers are still scary.

amother
Lime

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 7:09 pm
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
I would like to make an interesting point. Many people have medical conditions that are not known to the public. I, unfortunately, spend a lot of time in hospitals and know people with various medical conditions that they choose to keep private, many times even from very close family members. I, personally, know 2 people who passed away that did have medical conditions but is not general knowledge and everyone is busy panicking that young, perfectly healthy person has just dropped dead from coronavirus.

I am not saying its not happening. I have no idea, I'm not privy to anyone medical records and I don't have access to city records. My point is don't believe everything you hear and don't panic. You need to do the right thing - stay home with your 0family, leave your house only if its urgent like grocery shopping while maintaining social distance and keep washing your hands with soap and water. More than that you can't do, and panicking will just make you more miserable

Besides for people keeping medical histories private, there are people with underlying issues that they may not yet be aware of

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 7:13 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Yes, I just saw on YWN that a 39 year old father of 6 with no prior health conditions was niftar after being diagnosed 3 days ago. Hashem yiracheim!!!

6 kids and 5 step kids. His wife has 5 children from a previous marriage. It's just so sad!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics