Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Siyum for Pesach

erg5001

Post Thu, Mar 26 2020, 10:44 pm
Since my husband will not be able to go to shul for siyum on erev Pesach, would any one know 1) any website to log into for siyum. I will ask my Rabbi if it is "kosher" to participate in this matter.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 10:07 am
Talk to your rav. Responsible rabbanim are saying it's mutar via phone, zoom, etc. but you'll want to hear for yourself.

thriver

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 10:19 am
From Rabbi Yisroel Reisman of Flatbush:

People are asking:

TEVILAS KEILIM - The CDC says all tap water, which is chlorinated, is safe. The keilim mikvaos themselves, are therefore safe. In a conference call yesterday, the decision was made to close keilim mikvaos because of the crowding and the garbage left there.

Therefore:
BEST - if you did tovel keilim or have access to a private mikvah, it is safe.

NEXT BEST - Most people will be unable to tovel keilim. Therefore, we need to transfer ownership to a non-Jew for the duration of this crisis. If you are purchasing new keilim when receiving delivery say clearly that you do not want to take ownership.

ALSO BEST - If you already have keilim that need tevilah, and you have a non-Jewish aide or cleaning help or co-worker, transfer ownership to a non-jew by having him pick it up. If this is difficult or you have many keilim, transfer ownership via kinyan sudar, by taking a pen (or any utensil) from him and stating, in exchange for this, "I gift you all of the new utensils in my home".

ALSO FINE - If a non-Jew is not available, I hope to do gift keilim at the time of mechiras chametz and will give details on how to participate closer to that time.

TAANIS BECHORIM - We do not encourage fasting, so bechorim will not be encouraged to fast, no matter what. Listening to a siyum by phone or video access is meaningless, since a bechor needs to eat from the seudas mitzvah.

BEST - make a siyum! You have two weeks. Mishnayos Nashim is only 7 mesechtos. If you (or a son) learned the 4 yeshiva mesechtos in the past, even years ago, you (or he) can complete seder nashim mishnayos by now learning the remaining mesechtos.

NEXT BEST - If an individual cannot complete a seder mishnayos or mesechta, divide it among members of the household & make a joint siyum on Erev Pesach.

ALSO BEST - Learn sefer Yehoshua or Shoftim or another book of Tanach, with meforshim. These seforim are relatively short and can be completed over the next two weeks by learning a perek in the morning and a perek in the evening. To make a siyum, it must be learned with a mefaresh who explains it well, such as the Malbim or combination Rashi & Redak. Do it! Even if you're not a bechor.....

MEDICATION FOR PESACH - As I mentioned in prior years, all solid, tasteless medicine is kosher for pesach. Only liquids that have alcohol can be a problem. Liquid medication listing glycerin, should be avoided all year. Even if you are machmir to check lists in normal years, this is not the year to be machmir.

KITNIYOS FOR ELDERLY OR ILL PEOPLE - Some eldery people have limited diets. They may eat kitniyos on Pesach, although separate keilim must be used. Check if your kitniyos is chametz free by asking at the hechsher's website. (For example, enriched rice may be a chametz issue.)

BEST BEST OPTION for all this - is for the Geulah/Yeshua to come before Pesach.

Ribono Shel Olam - we just wish to serve you and with all the hiddurim. Don't lock us away....

May we all be zocheh to God's Shmira....

animeme

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 12:00 pm
Rav Herschel Schachter paskened that this year you can attend a siyum by Zoom. I don't know the details re eating. He also paskened that those who have a minhag not to sell chametz mamesh should not follow that minhag this year because of the real possibility of shortages, and that hataras nedarim is not needed because it is obvious that this is an exceptional time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics