Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Why continue tuition payments if there is no school?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 12:34 pm
If there is no school planned for April or longer do I need to continue to pay my monthly tuition installments?

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 12:36 pm
The teachers are still teaching. The building still has expenses to be covered.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 12:37 pm
Because teachers and school employees are still getting paid, building mortgage payments are still due, as are insurance liability payments.

You don't have to continue paying. You can pull your kids out of the school system and homeschool, it's free.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 12:39 pm
The way the economy is going, I think a lot of people won’t be paying either way.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 12:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If there is no school planned for April or longer do I need to continue to pay my monthly tuition installments?

To me its the top priority.
My kids wouldnt be shome torah umitzvos if they wouldnt attend a chareidi school.
and I am very chasidish, the kind imamothers love to bash.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 12:43 pm
So what you are saying is that if I don't feel that the hour a day my children receive from their teachers is worth my money I should just pull them out.

There are many business that have mortgages and bills to pay do they ask their customers to continue paying for something they are not receiving.

I'm sorry but its not only the teachers that would be losing its the parents that have losts their jobs too.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 12:49 pm
There are several issues involved

If you don't pay tuition, it is highly likely that you would not be able to enroll your child in school until you have made payment for the months you didn't pay.

If enough people don't pay tuition, it is likely that many schools would not be able to reopen because they would not have been able to pay their fixed expenses - mortgage, utilities, insurance, salaries for personnel including administrative staff and teachers

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 12:50 pm
I am wondering about this too.
DS (age 6) has one hour a day of tele-learning. 80% of the time is spent on roll-call and davening. I am continuing to pay tuition, obviously this is the most that can be done for this age, in this situation, and I'm in awe of the rebbe for whatever he is able to teach 18 hyper boys over the phone. (Chassidish cheder so I dont expect any email worksheets or video learning)
But DD (age 3) is in playgroup. Prior to closing down, they didn't send home anything for Pesach. No crafts. No worksheets. No coloring pages. There is no tele-learning, no emails, nada. Haven't heard a peep from the admins of the place since drop-off on the last day they were open. BH I can afford to make the tuition payments, but honestly I feel a bit gypped.

amother
Ivory

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 12:54 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
DS (age 6) has one hour a day of tele-learning. 80% of the time is spent on roll-call and davening. I am continuing to pay tuition, obviously this is the most that can be done for this age, in this situation, and I'm in awe of the rebbe for whatever he is able to teach 18 hyper boys over the phone. (Chassidish cheder so I dont expect any email worksheets or video learning)
But DD (age 3) is in playgroup. Prior to closing down, they didn't send home anything for Pesach. No crafts. No worksheets. No coloring pages. There is no tele-learning, no emails, nada. Haven't heard a peep from the admins of the place since drop-off on the last day they were open. BH I can afford to make the tuition payments, but honestly I feel a bit gypped.

My playgroup sent home Haggadah with each page paper clipped on what had to be glued on there. They also set up now a prerecorded pesach songs and davening done by the Morah. Maybe call and suggest.

amother
Slategray

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 12:56 pm
It's hard yes we still need to pay if you want the school to open eventually teachers are working hard more goes on then you see . At the same point I am out of work now without pay so I don't know I will be able to pay my tuition or morgage for that matter

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 12:58 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
My playgroup sent home Haggadah with each page paper clipped on what had to be glued on there. They also set up now a prerecorded pesach songs and davening done by the Morah. Maybe call and suggest.

That's great of your playgroup!
I will beH call before I make my next payment and ask if this is feasible.
I am making a haggadah at home with the kids, but to pay when I'm getting nothing at all just feels unfair. I understand their basic expenses are still there, but when I get zero service at all then it doesn't feel right.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 1:00 pm
Following.

I know teachers needs their income, but so do the millions of workers out on furlough now. Why are they any different?

Why can’t teachers and rebbeim go on unemployment like the rest of the world? And schools put their mortgages in forbearance etc...We are basically all in the same boat now. There are steps we can all take to mitigate the financial fallout of the pandemic. Why are schools and teachers above the pack? What

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 1:03 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:

I would not pay for the playgroup.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 1:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So what you are saying is that if I don't feel that the hour a day my children receive from their teachers is worth my money I should just pull them out.

There are many business that have mortgages and bills to pay do they ask their customers to continue paying for something they are not receiving.

I'm sorry but its not only the teachers that would be losing its the parents that have losts their jobs too.

collectively, we should all want our schools to pull through this.

amother
Slateblue

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 1:07 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
To me its the top priority.
My kids wouldnt be shome torah umitzvos if they wouldnt attend a chareidi school.
and I am very chasidish, the kind imamothers love to bash.

While I agree with you that it should be a top priority, now is a time that is crazier than it's ever been. Most people are getting hit with losing money, losing work, exc. I am not able to work my regular hours since my kids don't have physical school. My job goes to paying tuition. My husband has lost money in other ways and is in possible danger of his company going under due to the current economic crisis. If we can't pay our Bill's than tuition will have to be the first thing that goes because tuition is also our childcare and we aren't getting the childcare at the moment. Trust me, I know how hard the teachers are working, my parents are both in Chinuch and are working harder than ever, but it doesn't take away the fact that I'm not getting the services that I'm paying for.

Just One

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 1:10 pm
Because most teachers are actually WORKING! All the local schools have set up learning by phone. While it might only be 1-2 hours a day there's alot of work that goes into condensing their regular material. My kids record their homework for their teacher to hear. That takes time!
In general I'm imagining it's stressful to teach over the phone without getting feedback, being able to demonstrate and all the tools teachers depend on daily. And knowing there are probably some parents on the line doesn't make it more comfortable.
If anybody deserves to get paid it's these teachers

southernbubby

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 1:26 pm
I think that anyone who still can pay tuition should and will pay tuition but many won't be able to. It will take awhile to rebuild the economy; especially the frum economy.

notshanarishona

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 1:32 pm
My guess is that the schools are waiting to see if school will resume this year . If it will then they have to keep teachers on payroll or will have no teachers for the last month of school.
In addition, while there is some form of distance learning taking place , the kids can get credit for passing the grade while if we were to stop all remote learning they would probably need to make it up in some way.

amother
Vermilion

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 1:40 pm
Dh and I both still have our jobs and our school is making a real effort with teleconferences so we’re paying (mostly) happily. I do feel a bit gypped for my preschooler but in my head I’m telling myself that I’m supporting the school and that’s a good value. I have spoken to friends who don’t have income or whose income is greatly reduced and they called to ask for a break. The school did not give them a problem.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 1:42 pm
I teach online. It is hard hard work- way harder than in person. That one hour lesson I taught took me 2- 3 hours to prepare. and I teach 3 sessions a day. all I do is prepare all day.
If any parent felt that I dont deserve to get paid for my "only one hour" session - I would feel extremely hurt and angry.
That said I DO teach online.
I imagine that any school that does not offer even one bit of remote learning such as the playgroup mentioned above- not one haggada, not one craft or worksheet sent home, then yes, you are not receiving any services at all and should not have to pay.
but with THAT said, here is my take.
If you get any services at all- you must pay.
If you cannot afford to pay and dont receive any services- its a no brainer- dont pay.

If you CAN afford to pay and are not paying on principle- it doesnt reflect so nicely on you right now. I firmly believe that in such a crisis- those that are more well off need to help carry the burden.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics