Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Tips - I CANT BELIEVE I NEVER THOUGHT OF THIS!!!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 2:05 pm
Wow. This is just... amazing and at the same time so frustrating, because for years we empty out the cabinets & fridge & just starve. Not to mention throwing out a lot of stuff... at best we had a tiny (like office) fridge for milk & cheese for a few days. In later years I thought of boiling potatoes & eggs so there was s/t. (& pizza doesn't work for me)

Well, guess what? This is so dumb, I am sure many of you with an extra fridge do this already.

I had the cleaning lady clean & line the basement fridge right before quarantine began. Now, when I buy eggs, fruits & vegetables etc I put them right down there & take what I need for a couple of days. So when it's time to turn over I'm not facing an empty house.

Not sure if I'm coherent here but I hope you get the gist. It's been somewhat stressful...

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 2:08 pm
It took me a few years to realize that our house can still have food up until Erev Pesach and nobody needed to go hungry .
Extra fridge , and using a toaster oven on my porch as well as a crockpot really resolved the issue of having to stand on lines in the pizza store.
The last few years we did just fine with at home dinners.

amother
Plum

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 2:19 pm
Also, you can cook kitniyot the week before Pesach
I’ve done chicken and rice casserole which everyone loves
Used KLP brown rice pasta for Mac & Cheese
KLP rice cakes for breakfast

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 2:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Wow. This is just... amazing and at the same time so frustrating, because for years we empty out the cabinets & fridge & just starve. Not to mention throwing out a lot of stuff... at best we had a tiny (like office) fridge for milk & cheese for a few days. In later years I thought of boiling potatoes & eggs so there was s/t. (& pizza doesn't work for me)

Well, guess what? This is so dumb, I am sure many of you with an extra fridge do this already.

I had the cleaning lady clean & line the basement fridge right before quarantine began. Now, when I buy eggs, fruits & vegetables etc I put them right down there & take what I need for a couple of days. So when it's time to turn over I'm not facing an empty house.

Not sure if I'm coherent here but I hope you get the gist. It's been somewhat stressful...
I am sorry. Is your advice to store food in a 2nd refrigerator you own? Or did I miss something?

avrahamama

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 2:46 pm
Her advice is to clean your fridge and line it and use it for chametz and then just switch the lining when you switch your food.

I do this.

It's very helpful.

I line with paper towels and the switch to fridge liners when I put the pesach food in.c

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 2:56 pm
avrahamama wrote:
Her advice is to clean your fridge and line it and use it for chametz and then just switch the lining when you switch your food.

I do this.

It's very helpful.

I line with paper towels and the switch to fridge liners when I put the pesach food in.c

If you clean your fridge and line it and use it for chumetz, it can't be used for Pesach. Paper towels will not fly in my house and community. We cover every surface in the fridge.

From chabad: Refrigerator, Freezer, Cupboards, Closets, Tables, and Counters
Thoroughly clean and scrub them to remove any crumbs and residue. Afterwards, place a heavy covering over those surfaces that come into contact with hot food or utensils.

Paper towels don't cut it.

perquacky

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 3:18 pm
Paper towels don't cut it for Chabad. We are not all Lubavitch.

sub

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 3:24 pm
And this is why I only switch over 2 days before pesach.
And for those 2 days they either use a toaster oven or sandwich maker, on the porch or landing,a box of chametz food stays on the landing or they eat pesachdig food
With no xtra fridge perishables are triple bagged and kept in bottom draw.

avrahamama

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 3:26 pm
Maybe I didn't explain myself well? Paper towels for that week or two before the switch and then a quick wipe down and some plastic liners for the chag.

Do you do more than plastic liners in your fridge?

Refine

Post Fri, Mar 27 2020, 3:40 pm
You may still want to reline the fridge, but it will be clean so half the job is done.
last year, I started using my mother's pesach kitchen and freezing some food ahead. Was a game changer.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 2:25 pm
Are y'all really putting boiling hot food in your refrigerators?

Food is supposed to be cooled down before you store it, or you risk heating up the whole inside of the fridge and causing all the other food to spoil.

As long as you are cleaning your fridge with a strong cleanser, I never understood the need to line the walls and top of the fridge as well as as the shelves. Bread is stored in plastic bags, right? Cooked pasta goes in plastic containers, etc. So how is chametz getting everywhere, that you have to practically take apart and hermetically seal your fridge?

Wash the walls, put aluminum foil on the shelves. Zehu.

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 5:59 pm
I kashered my basement fridge for Pesach and have it filled with fruit, veggies (no string beans) KFP cheese, milk, eggs....... the freezer has meat/chicken/fish, KLP kiska and gefilta fish.
It is full full full.-more than I can use over Pesach.

My kitchen fridge, is chammetz.

As I finish the stuff in my chammetz fridge, I am going down to my Pesach fridge and removing stuff to being upstairs and make it chammetz. This way, I am not running out of food. If I find that I will not have enough of something before Pesach because I made it chammetz, I have 2 choices, either but more or figure we will forgo it over Pesach.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 6:18 pm
Yes, Papaya, that's exactly what I meant (probably wasn't too clear. Taking care of an uncooperative sick husband is very draining!)

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 9:53 am
Another tip
Put a little oil on your hands before you put gloves on to peel veggies, cook, etc.
They will slide easily on and your hands will get a moisturizer treatment

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 11:44 am
I don't have a basement, or an extra fridge or freezer or cabinet either, and no space for any of those Smile BH this year it's not very difficult to clean the kitchen on Sunday and kasher on Sunday night. There is no need to cook more than three days before pesach! What could I possibly be cooking for three days worth of meals that takes more than three days to cook? Anyone in a similar situation, we will be fine!

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 12:18 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Are y'all really putting boiling hot food in your refrigerators?

Food is supposed to be cooled down before you store it, or you risk heating up the whole inside of the fridge and causing all the other food to spoil.

This is no longer recommended.

https://www.aarp.org/home-gard......html

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:54 pm
If you have a dishwasher, move your pots in there to stay over pesach to quickly empty a cabinet.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:05 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
If you have a dishwasher, move your pots in there to stay over pesach to quickly empty a cabinet.

Love this idea! I am planning on selling all of my kitchen cabinets besides those that contain pots and dishes (easiest to clean!), which will be wiped down and lined for pesach storage.

penguin

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:03 pm
Caveat: If you have small children or the grandchildren are coming, some of them have this habit of pressing buttons for fun.

If the dishwasher gets turned on a. you stored things in there & they will sit there wet
b. I hope it doesn't chometz up the sink, AYLOR, but maybe it's better if there are no keilim in it? Or maybe it doesn't matter....

mrsjay

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:11 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

This is genius genius genius!!! I could literally hug u. I would have emptied out 2 drawers into boxes and lugged them to the basement now I won’t!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics