Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Will there be school in July/August?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 11:15 pm
To finish up the curriculum that is not being covered now?

(We pay tuition for the summer anyway... and with the chances of camps not being open...)

mig100

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 11:24 pm
I have no idea. If camps are not safe to o0en I don't see why schools would be

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 11:26 pm
Most schools are continuing as usual, via distance learning. There shouldn't be a major loss in the amount of material covered.

amother
Red

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 11:34 pm
mig100 wrote:
I have no idea. If camps are not safe to o0en I don't see why schools would be

I actually think it would be a great idea for camps to open. They shouldn't go off grounds for 8 weeks straight. Everyone will be quarantined together.

Fabulous

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 11:35 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Most schools are continuing as usual, via distance learning. There shouldn't be a major loss in the amount of material covered.

really? Most schools I know are only doing a one-two hour a day on the phone. That's not keeping up with the material.

amother
Red

Post Sat, Mar 28 2020, 11:36 pm

Sure there's a major loss on the amount covered. My kids are barely learning a thing and everyone is losing their patience. Every day another one of my kids decide they're "absent" today.
But I'm sure they'll modify the curriculum next year till they catch on.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 12:18 am
Wow, I didn't realize how lucky we are here I guess! BH our schools are covering a lot of ground. I'm sure the teachers and staff are working very hard to make that happen. My kids are continuing in all the major subjects as usual: Chumash, gemara, parsha, halacha, pesach, math, reading, grammar, vocabulary, science, social studies, writing.

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:11 am
My kids are only learning parsha & pesach. Not even all of them...

twizzlers1

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 4:48 am
I pretty much gave up with the at home learning. It was way too much pressure for me to stay on top of each child. I have one that has two zoom classes a day. they are supposed to be doing work but I decided that my sanity and my relationship with them was more important. it's one thing to be on top of homework for a little bit every night and another thing to make them learn all day. I really hope that things will go back to normal by July but who knows. I think the teachers are going to have to reteach some things at the beginning of the new year.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 7:46 am
Wow, I didn't realize how lucky we are here I guess! BH our schools are covering a lot of ground. I'm sure the teachers and staff are working very hard to make that happen. My kids are continuing in all the major subjects as usual: Chumash, gemara, parsha, halacha, pesach, math, reading, grammar, vocabulary, science, social studies, writing.

You are lucky. It’s a mix.
I know 2 schools doing full days.

My kids are very little. My girls do have tons of work.
My boys next to nothing. I am working on getting them to setup learning partners so at least they are doing something and keep up social connections.

Moonlight

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:37 am
My boys have about 1.5 h on phone a day. My girls.....maybe half hour. They're not learning anything

Fave

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:45 am
I always wished for a shorter summer vacation.

My kids have off 11 weeks in the summers

I think 6 weeks is more than enough.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:59 am
My kid's school is having 6 hours of online learning, they are keeping up.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 9:09 am
My son is 5 and in the middle of learning kriah. His teacher tries, he records a lesson per week but it is pretty much impossible to teach kriah over the phone. I can't imagine how they will even catch up if schools don't reopen till September. It's making me anxious and worried. I know his whole class will be at the same level when they get back but my kid learns at a slower pace than the rest. This is months of work down the drain. I am practicing with him daily but it's a struggle. He's losing skills by the minute.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics