Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Has any state been able to flatten the curve?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:23 am
From my non authoritative perspective- NEw York closed down too late- the virus was already on the loose and by the time they closed down almost everyone was infected.

What about other states- many states shut down before there was any widespread active pandemic - were they successful in flattening the curve? It has been two weeks- I’m sure there is data out there. I would love to see graphs comparing major cities like Chicago and LA vs NY . How it increases by day in NY Vs the increase by day in other major cities

Are the other big cities progressing in the same pattern as NY or have they slowed the spread by shutting down early?
New York schools were one of the last schools in the country to be shut down.

Anyone have the data?

WhatFor

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:03 am
We can't really have data yet in the US. When did people start self isolating? You might not be able to see the effects until 4 weeks after people start self isolating. The people going into hospitals now may have caught the illness before self isolating started. It can take two weeks for people to start showing symptoms, and of those people, for some it takes another week, two, or more before they're finding themselves in the ER.

Most people aren't being tested until they've reached a hospital stage, so we're not going to see the effects just yet.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:21 am
Check back in a few months/years, when all the data will be compiled and available for interpretation.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:33 am
New York doesn't stand a chance considering 14 Shuls in Brooklyn (my information is based on a different thread that I just read, I do not live in Brooklyn, nor do I have anything to do with it), advertise that they were open this past Shabbos.
Yashe Koach to them.

Just One

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:41 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
New York doesn't stand a chance considering 14 Shuls in Brooklyn (my information is based on a different thread that I just read, I do not live in Brooklyn, nor do I have anything to do with it), advertise that they were open this past Shabbos.
Yashe Koach to them.

It's the Jews fault. Always was. They're the ones spreading all the filth and germs while the rest of us suffer.
Never mind the parties, beaches, parks. It's them synagogues causing all the trouble.

Just One

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:45 am
And while those places will be quarantining and requarantining people when it starts spreading again we'll hopefully have achieved herd immunity. As long as we focus on keeping the equipment, personal and supplies coming quickly enough I think NY will be way better off in the long run

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:57 am
Just One wrote:
And while those places will be quarantining and requarantining people when it starts spreading again we'll hopefully have achieved herd immunity. As long as we focus on keeping the equipment, personal and supplies coming quickly enough I think NY will be way better off in the long run

Hopefully this being "better off in the long run" won't cost too many lives in the short term.

trixx

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:57 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Yashe Koach to them.

Yeah? You should have seen the black areas (full basketball games) and white yuppy ones (no social distancing) I observed as I drove around before Shabbos.

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 3:00 am
OP, not that social media counts as good data, but I did see tweets from someone in healthcare in San Francisco commenting that while awaiting the surge she is realizing that the fact that it isn't happening yet might mean that they've succeeded in flattening the curve, or delaying the apex, both of which are good because they give the healthcare system time to prepare.

It is better for this to happen slow and drawn out (so there is enough medical care for all) rather than quick and deadly.

Just One

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 3:06 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Hopefully this being "better off in the long run" won't cost too many lives in the short term.

It might seem like more if it all happens in a matter of weeks vs months. But as someone else noted we'll get a better idea once this is over and we see the full picture

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 4:44 am
Honestly NY is one of the most overpopulated denth city's. I even read an article on it it's just going to be worse when everyone lives on top of each other. I am not even talking about Jewish areas. look at Manhattan no one lives in spread out housing there just big buildings with multi family's you don't even have yards or grass to go to. So germs are bound to spread faster as overwhelmed as hospitals are with the amount of people living in NY it can be worse without social distancing. Now in a more rural area once you social distance and people live a distance from each other it just might be better. I wonder after all this if it doesn't push families to move the places with more space and bigger yards. I don't know how we would be managing without our beautiful yard and it's not even that huge.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 5:30 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Yashe Koach to them.

You do know that the subway is still running. How about that Prospect Park and Central Park... are so full every day that Cuomo wanted to have them shut. But yeah, let's blame the minyanim taking place (supposedly with social distancing).

Brownies

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 5:35 am
https://www.worldometers.info/.....tries

Informative website and the numbers are accurate from what I can tell. If you click on USA it gives you a breakdown by state.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 6:32 am
Someone else is doing it too is not an excuse. Grow up. I expect more from adults than teens and college kids. And yes nyc is very dense and basically a world capital. But spreading it in the frum community has a LOT to do with shuls.

And flattening the curve has a little widget in a nyt article if you can find it. You can slide a bar and see the calculated effects.

It would be nice if we all cared about the sick people getting treated and medical workers experiencing severe trauma.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 6:45 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
Honestly NY is one of the most overpopulated denth city's. I even read an article on it it's just going to be worse when everyone lives on top of each other. I am not even talking about Jewish areas. look at Manhattan no one lives in spread out housing there just big buildings with multi family's you don't even have yards or grass to go to. So germs are bound to spread faster as overwhelmed as hospitals are with the amount of people living in NY it can be worse without social distancing. Now in a more rural area once you social distance and people live a distance from each other it just might be better. I wonder after all this if it doesn't push families to move the places with more space and bigger yards. I don't know how we would be managing without our beautiful yard and it's not even that huge.

Brooklyn and Queens each on their own have a greater population of residents than Manhattan. In any case, social distancing is better than not anywhere.

thanks

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 7:54 am
Baltimore shut down before there were any cases. BH.

West End Tova

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:05 am
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/new.....7058/
It isn't a state as such but the New York suburb of New Rochelle where Lawrence Garbuz became ill was put into lock-down and cases seem to be leveling off.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:11 am
Ohio officials are telling us that we have made progress in flattening our curve and pushing the peak further out.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:25 am
Over 150 deaths in ny over Shabbos - 8 of them Jewish. Hard to blame the shuls for the remaining 142.
על שלשה דברים העולם עומד על התורה ועל העבודה ועל גמילות חסדים
There is definitely chessed in abundance. But canceling Torah and tefila does not seem like the way to keep the world running according to chazal
Perhaps if we’d reinstate our minyanim and yeshivos there would be fewer deaths and more people recovering

cnc

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:30 am
Another beige - at least 20 of the deaths were frum people .
I would assume even more . But I know for a fact that over 20 were from our heimishe communities including Boro Park, Williamsburg, Lakewood and Kensington.
That’s a huge number percentage- wise when comparing the amount of frum people to the general population .
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics