Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Hospitals don’t allow visitors
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:46 am
How is this legal that hospital don’t let visitors and patients need to be all alone?!?!

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:50 am
You're kidding, right?
Their job is to keep patients - and nonpatients- healthy. So they are trying to prevent the spread of disease.

Of course it's nice for patients to have visitors. But not at the expense of their health.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:56 am
I totally understand no come-and-go visitors. But it is very hard to imagine a policy that does not allow 1 single full-time visitor who is quarantined with the patient.

But the latter is probably REALLY hard to enforce, especially past a day or so. So however sad, I do get it.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:08 am
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
You're kidding, right?
Their job is to keep patients - and nonpatients- healthy. So they are trying to prevent the spread of disease.

Of course it's nice for patients to have visitors. But not at the expense of their health.

Part of a patient’s health is getting social support. I don’t understand with proper screening why they can’t allow at least 1 full time visitor.
It’s very sad for an older person to be by themselves in a hospital. How are they supposed to get well when they’re isolated from their family?

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Part of a patient’s health is getting social support. I don’t understand with proper screening why they can’t allow at least 1 full time visitor.
It’s very sad for an older person to be by themselves in a hospital. How are they supposed to get well when they’re isolated from their family?

Social support is wonderful and proven to help patients. And yet, it's lower on the scale than preventing infection.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes. It is heartbreaking being sick in the hospital alone, without the ability to get the comfort of loved ones.
But are you kidding yourself?!? Do you know what the numbers will start to look like if they start allowing unnecessary people into hospitals, the variables in screening a visitor isn’t possible at this point. A person can be a -symptomatic for a while or go completely without symptoms hence infecting the ones around them. So how can you possibly screen a person if at this point you can’t know if you came in contact with a person infected?
Loving someone makes your heart hurt when they suffer. But that also means doing what’s best for them even when that means loving them from afar if that increases their chances at a healthy recovery. But then again. That’s just me

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:29 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Yes. It is heartbreaking being sick in the hospital alone, without the ability to get the comfort of loved ones.
But are you kidding yourself?!? Do you know what the numbers will start to look like if they start allowing unnecessary people into hospitals, the variables in screening a visitor isn’t possible at this point. A person can be a -symptomatic for a while or go completely without symptoms hence infecting the ones around them. So how can you possibly screen a person if at this point you can’t know if you came in contact with a person infected?
Loving someone makes your heart hurt when they suffer. But that also means doing what’s best for them even when that means loving them from afar if that increases their chances at a healthy recovery. But then again. That’s just me

What if the visitor already had virus a few weeks ago and recovered. So they aren’t a risk for themselves or others?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:30 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes, it would be wonderful for people to have visitors, but what would proper screening look like? Please remember, one may be contagious, and able to spread the disease, 14 days prior to the onset of showing any symptoms. One also may contract the disease, through Contacts, a cardboard box, a plastic bag, or peice of paper. Even if you were quarantined in your own home, and nobody goes in or out, you still could pick it up from a shopping bag in which food was delivered to your house or through your mail. The likelihood is rare, and we all need to do our histadlut, but how are you screening the visitor?

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:36 am
I’m also wondering how people know what goes on with their loved one in the hospital if they aren’t allowed in?
Perhaps the patient isn’t being tend to at all times?
Is it possible people are dying from neglect?

agreer

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 3:21 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:
I’m also wondering how people know what goes on with their loved one in the hospital if they aren’t allowed in?

Of course it's possible! It was possible before, when hospitals weren't overwhelmed and overloaded. It's all the more likely now.

This is truly a terrible situation. Ppl are sick and dying alone, without anyone to advocate for them.

ora_43

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 4:08 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What if the visitor already had virus a few weeks ago and recovered. So they aren’t a risk for themselves or others?

Unfortunately AFAIK there still isn't a way to easily test for immunity. Especially since there may be more than one strain of the virus, and it's not clear if having had one creates immunity re: the other.

In general though I think/hope this will be part of a long-term solution that balances the need not to spread the virus with patients' other needs.

DrMom

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 4:26 am
amother [ Papaya ] wrote:

This is what I worry about more than visitors not being allowed to come with flowers and balloons to cheer people up.

Entering a hospital without someone to advocate for you to make sure you are not warehoused and neglected is a dangerous proposition.

I fully understand the policy (on the surface, it is a no-brainer), but it can have frightening repercussions.

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 4:30 am
DrMom wrote:
This is what I worry about more than visitors not being allowed to come with flowers and balloons to cheer people up.

Entering a hospital without someone to advocate for you to make sure you are not warehoused and neglected is a dangerous proposition.

I fully understand the policy (on the surface, it is a no-brainer), but it can have frightening repercussions.

This!
Seems to me like a catch 22. Especially with them being so short staffed & minimal PPE so you really need someone to be there with you to help... but on the other hand it’s obviously a big risk. Especially in overcrowded EDs where every extra person is in the way...

chanchy123

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 4:37 am
ora_43 wrote:
Unfortunately AFAIK there still isn't a way to easily test for immunity. Especially since there may be more than one strain of the virus, and it's not clear if having had one creates immunity re: the other.

In general though I think/hope this will be part of a long-term solution that balances the need not to spread the virus with patients' other needs.

At this point I don’t think hospitals have enough staff to spare for screening visitors. While I agree patients need advocates is just not possible at this time. Serious difficult compromises need to be made in times of true emergency.

ora_43

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 6:31 am
chanchy123 wrote:
At this point I don’t think hospitals have enough staff to spare for screening visitors. While I agree patients need advocates is just not possible at this time. Serious difficult compromises need to be made in times of true emergency.

Which is why I said long-term.

This isn't going to go away in the next two weeks. A balance will need to be found. It's not realistic or reasonable to reduce the risk of transmission to 0%, especially not at the expense of the most vulnerable people in society.

If there were a reliable test, it would probably save staff time overall to have family there helping patients. Some visitors are obnoxious, but a lot of them are doing things that otherwise staff would have to do (helping people to the bathroom, getting them food and water, keeping an eye on them, etc). It's not a simple equation because running tests is lab time, while families save time on the wards - but it's not a waste of resources if/when it becomes possible.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 6:41 am
It's also going to make people (both patients and family members) more hesitant about going to the hospital to begin with. I guess if you're trying to reduce overcrowding that's a good thing...

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 6:44 am
Visitors are never allowed in an area with a contagious patient without ppe. Contagious patients are always isolated with a sign on their room. Except they are short. And this is an emergency. And there are not really rooms as much as areas. And staff can't manage as it is. Which is why no one would be wanting to go to any hospital now if they can avoid it. You really do need an advocate with patients. Its just impossible right now. It is a really terrible situation. The Drs and nurses agree with you. They are crying too that patients are alone. People in charge are doing their best to make decisions on the moment with little precedent and unproven data best they can.

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:45 am
My friend who is doing her residency in Internal Medicine tells me that a good portion of her day these days is spent calling up families and updating them.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 9:04 am
I understand your concern, but as someone who has a child doing a residency now in a NY hospital, I don't want visitors putting my child at risk. You should be happy that my child is still going to work on the front lines. Visitors have no right to increase the risk to MY child. Health care workers are getting sick. Do you want even more of them to become ill? This is a CRISIS.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 9:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

There’s a trial in CO to test an entire city for anti-bodies...hopefully if this goes well, this will help the situation out a little.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics