Home

Pay playgroup Morah for april?
  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:53 am
Does anybody know if we are expected to pay even though there’s no playgroup?I feel like it’s the right thing to do but it’s a lot of money.
Back to top

NPYOB




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:55 am
Of course. Why is it different then tuition for regular school
Back to top

amother




Sapphire
 

Post  Sun, Mar 29 2020, 8:56 am
its a halachic Sheila.
If a business is forced to close by govt you may be obligated to continue payments.
Regardless I think if someone’s income remains relatively the same they should.
Back to top

Simple1




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Mar 29 2020, 9:12 am
This is partially discussed on Halacha headlines. Don't pay without first asking a shaila, (unless you can well afford it, then go ahead). Even if you have to pay, it might not be the full amount.
Back to top

Simple1




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Mar 29 2020, 9:18 am
NPYOB wrote:
Of course. Why is it different then tuition for regular school


On Halacha headlines, it was said that a yeshiva might be different because it's like the parents as a group have a stake in the school. And there may be continuing expenses to keep it running, such as a mortgage. I don't know if I'm repeating this accurately as I was very tired when I listened and did not hear the whole thing. But of course, ask a shaila. Or pay if it's very easy for you and you want to be generous.
Back to top

amother




Lavender
 

Post  Sun, Mar 29 2020, 10:53 am
My issue isn’t April, we anyway pay for April when the kids are usually off half the month. My problem is that if they don’t reopen after I don’t see why we’re paying for May and June.
Back to top

amother




Coffee
 

Post  Sun, Mar 29 2020, 11:05 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
My issue isn’t April, we anyway pay for April when the kids are usually off half the month. My problem is that if they don’t reopen after I don’t see why we’re paying for May and June.


This is all true, but in reality they've been off the majority of march too. So how many months do we have to pay for nothing.
Back to top

amother




Aquamarine
 

Post  Sun, Mar 29 2020, 11:53 am
Is this a playgroup in the home? Does the playgroup provide lunch and snacks? Does the playgroup pay morahs? Have those morah's been laid off?
Back to top

amother




Purple
 

Post  Sun, Mar 29 2020, 12:56 pm
Wait and see. It's not even April yet. Nobody knows what will be in May/June.
Back to top

amother




Sienna
 

Post  Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:00 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Is this a playgroup in the home? Does the playgroup provide lunch and snacks? Does the playgroup pay morahs? Have those morah's been laid off?


As a playgroup Morah I'm curious what you say to my answers

Playgroup is in the home (but only live in a house because the playgroup money pays the rent, otherise would live in an apartment).
I provide lunch and snacks
Playgroup usually pays Morahs
Morahs will probably be laid off if there is no money coming in - have to ask a shaila

As a parent, would you pay in this case?
Back to top

mopsy




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:38 pm
Rabbi Forchheimer in Lakewood is giving answers to this, but you have to call him up and ask him yourself. He says this is not a simple answer, and a psak must be given individually depending on each situation
Back to top

NPYOB




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:44 pm
I don’t see why it’s a shaila. The Morah did not cancel playgroup because she wasn’t in the mood of teaching the kids. If people stop paying then she will be one more person suffering without a salary. Obviously if people absolutely cannot afford it because they are out of a job that’s a shaila but just to ask the whole imamother what they are doing is ridiculous.
Back to top

veiznisht




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:47 pm
The Ami this week touched on this on context of seminaries. Its a sheila. Ask your LOR.
Back to top

amother




Aquamarine
 

Post  Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:49 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
As a playgroup Morah I'm curious what you say to my answers

Playgroup is in the home (but only live in a house because the playgroup money pays the rent, otherise would live in an apartment).
I provide lunch and snacks
Playgroup usually pays Morahs
Morahs will probably be laid off if there is no money coming in - have to ask a shaila

As a parent, would you pay in this case?


As a parent (who is not in this current situation) - I would be expecting my Morah to be laying off her workers because there is no work for them at this time.

I would also be wiling to pay a reduced amount to the Morah, so long as I was currently employed.
Back to top

Simple1




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:50 pm
NPYOB wrote:
I don’t see why it’s a shaila. The Morah did not cancel playgroup because she wasn’t in the mood of teaching the kids. If people stop paying then she will be one more person suffering without a salary. Obviously if people absolutely cannot afford it because they are out of a job that’s a shaila but just to ask the whole imamother what they are doing is ridiculous.


But it could be the answer is to compromise such as split it 50/50. Just giving an example, but ask a shaila. Other halachic considerations are that the Morah gets personal benefit from not working.


Last edited by Simple1 on Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top

amother




Fuchsia
 

Post  Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:50 pm
I don't understand how many people are saying yes. I just don't get it.

If she isn't providing a service, she shouldn't get paid.

If I'm home with my kids for all of April, I'm teaching them, feeding them, davening, changing them etc. I'm not going to work. I'm doing what I would pay her to do, so I should get paid.

She's not closed on purpose, true, but she's not working. No one is paying my husband or me for not working now.

I honestly don't get it. If you work, you her paid. If not, you don't.
Back to top

amother




Aquamarine
 

Post  Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:51 pm
NPYOB wrote:
I don’t see why it’s a shaila. The Morah did not cancel playgroup because she wasn’t in the mood of teaching the kids. If people stop paying then she will be one more person suffering without a salary. Obviously if people absolutely cannot afford it because they are out of a job that’s a shaila but just to ask the whole imamother what they are doing is ridiculous.


how is not a Shaila?

Should I be laying off my employees? A Shaila.

Should I be charging parents for a service that I am 100% not providing. A Shaila.
Back to top

amother




Cyan
 

Post  Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:52 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
I don't understand how many people are saying yes. I just don't get it.

If she isn't providing a service, she shouldn't get paid.

If I'm home with my kids for all of April, I'm teaching them, feeding them, davening, changing them etc. I'm not going to work. I'm doing what I would pay her to do, so I should get paid.

She's not closed on purpose, true, but she's not working. No one is paying my husband or me for not working now.

I honestly don't get it. If you work, you her paid. If not, you don't.
completely agree for people who struggle with money. For people who can afford to pay I would say they should.
Back to top

amother




Aquamarine
 

Post  Sun, Mar 29 2020, 1:54 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
completely agree for people who struggle with money. For people who can afford to pay I would say they should.


Its chesed.
Back to top

PinkFridge




 
 
 
 

Post  Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:06 pm
CYLOR! You will sleep better. Hatzlacha!
Back to top
  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 9 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Unemployment back pay? When?
by amother
7 Yesterday at 10:23 pm View last post
Tribute to Morah a"h - Rebbetzin Chaya Ausband zt"l 4 Fri, Jun 05 2020, 7:53 pm View last post
Playgroup in June
by amother
15 Fri, Jun 05 2020, 11:54 am View last post
Playgroup morah wants to open - Flatbush
by amother
15 Wed, Jun 03 2020, 9:12 pm View last post
by kenz
Busy bees playgroup -Bp
by amother
0 Wed, Jun 03 2020, 1:40 pm View last post

Jump to: