Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Pay playgroup Morah for april?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 10:55 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
Ummm, read this thread. And others like it.

I've read the thread.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 10:58 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I don't know if it's your intention but you're coming across as very rude to me. I never said I think parents should pay.

(And about the moving thing it didn't cost us any money to move in and it would unlikely cost us any money to move out - I have one baby and not a lot of stuff. My husbands friends from yeshiva helped him with the big things. Though I'm not sure what I'm even justifying here...)

I’m just curious if you feel parents should pay you why don’t you offer the same hours over the phone now to give parents a break. You can daven with the kids sing pesach songs just entertain them? Why aren’t Morah’s doing this?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 10:58 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
But they also had two weeks off in March that was paid for and unplanned. I’m trying to understand why playgroup is different then any other job. There are countless people out of a job now that aren’t working and aren’t getting paid. Why is playgroup Morah a separate class? I’m really trying to understand. I just don’t get it.

I completely agree with you.

However, I think the answer to your question is that a playgroup is similar to a yeshiva. And just like in a yeshiva we do our best to continue paying tuition because we care about the rebbe/morah, and we know they likely don't have money, and we want to extend ourselves beyond what we are really required to do, same thing with a playgroup morah. There is often a relationship with the morah, the morah is desperate for the income, and we want to take care of her.

I agree with you that from a fairness perspective we really shouldn't have to pay the morah just like we wouldn't pay anyone else who we pay to provide a service for us and is unable to do so even if it is for reasons beyond their control as is the case these days.

That being said I am bh happy to continue paying my tuitions until this crisis is over whenever that is because the rebbe's and morah's are so good to my kids and I am able to afford to continue to pay now and will continue to pay happily.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 10:59 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
I’m just curious if you feel parents should pay you why don’t you offer the same hours over the phone now to give parents a break. You can daven with the kids sing pesach songs just entertain them? Why aren’t Morah’s doing this?

I don’t know in what world 2 year olds can sit and have a conversation on the phone for more than a minute or two. Some kids are too young for that

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 11:05 am

Why are you putting her on trial? She's not the president of the playgroup Morah's club.

She never said that she feels that parents should pay her.

banana split

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 11:07 am
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I don't know if it's your intention but you're coming across as very rude to me. I never said I think parents should pay.

(And about the moving thing it didn't cost us any money to move in and it would unlikely cost us any money to move out - I have one baby and not a lot of stuff. My husbands friends from yeshiva helped him with the big things. Though I'm not sure what I'm even justifying here...)

People are high stressed. Financially and with watching children 24/7. So don’t worry about people giving attitude. It’s not Personal.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 11:07 am

I DONT FEEL PARENTS SHOULD PAY ME. The only thing I'm not doing is turning down money if someone is offering to pay me. If you would do that kol hakavod to you. You're probably a much better person than me.

Additionally, who said I don't? Zoom has been very useful in my line of work also. However, our daily meetings don't last long. It's not so functional because my group is younger 2s. I hear how that could be more practical in a 3 year old group lets say. My hours usually are 8:30-5. It would be a little ridiculous to expect the same don't you think? I did what I could. I sent home the haggadas and songs. That was before I knew I was getting a dollar from anyone.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 11:08 am
It cost more money to move twice. You will have to figure it out the months you aren’t opened but it’s wrong to expect payment from parents if you don’t provide the service.

Why don’t you sit on the phone for five hours every day with your students on a conference call
Just because they can’t come to your house it doesn’t mean that you can’t entertain the kids for the parents but no you are just happy that the government said that kids can’t come to your home and you are happy to get free money.

If you feel parents should pay you then the same hours that they should pay you for you should be available by phone to entertain their kids. The government didn’t say you can’t talk on the phone.

You are being so nasty. You obviously wouldn't make a good playgroup morah if you know of any 2yr old(or 3 or 4 for that matter!) that can stay for hours on the phone. Kids at that age spend most of their morning playing with toys. Teaching and davening take at the most 30 minutes of the schedule.
Nobody is happy to be home right now not working, no playgroup morah chose to be in that situation just the same as the parents didn't choose to be stuck at home,employed or unemployed!
It's a question for a Rav and theres really no reason to be nasty about it!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 11:09 am
notshanarishona wrote:
I don’t know in what world 2 year olds can sit and have a conversation on the phone for more than a minute or two. Some kids are too young for that

I think what would be possible is for the Morah's to provide a craft box (bag) and a list of projects. Most parents paid atleast for 2 weeks in March for which they received nothing. This would be something useful.

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 11:10 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Why are you putting her on trial? She's not the president of the playgroup Morah's club.

She never said that she feels that parents should pay her.

Lol. Thanks for the laugh. Not sure why I'm wasting my time responding to this person.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 11:14 am
Someone said above a psak will be issued for Lakewood playgroups? I think people should just wait to find out, there are many people in the same boat.

Librarian

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 11:30 am
I have a legal playgroup 3-4 year olds. I provided a beautiful Pesach crafts projects bag for each child. I do an hour Zoom class every day though not all the children join in. One mother just texted me that she will be dropping off April tuition. I so appreciate that! I don't know if anyone else will pay. I can ask my own rav but I don't see how that will help. Each parent will ask their own rav (or not). At first I freaked out about the loss of $ but I am trying to learn the lesson HKBH is teaching us all now. We have no control. I am a certified control freak so this is one hard lesson for me. But I am trying. BTW I don't live in Lakewood.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 11:38 am
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I completely agree with you.

However, I think the answer to your question is that a playgroup is similar to a yeshiva. And just like in a yeshiva we do our best to continue paying tuition because we care about the rebbe/morah, and we know they likely don't have money, and we want to extend ourselves beyond what we are really required to do, same thing with a playgroup morah. There is often a relationship with the morah, the morah is desperate for the income, and we want to take care of her.

I agree with you that from a fairness perspective we really shouldn't have to pay the morah just like we wouldn't pay anyone else who we pay to provide a service for us and is unable to do so even if it is for reasons beyond their control as is the case these days.

That being said I am bh happy to continue paying my tuitions until this crisis is over whenever that is because the rebbe's and morah's are so good to my kids and I am able to afford to continue to pay now and will continue to pay happily.

I don’t think playgroup is similar to a yeshiva. Also, I don’t think that yeshivas that are not providing any services for the kids should be getting paid tuition. Bh, my boys schools is doing the best they can. My 4 year old even has “phone school” on Sunday even though there is normally no school on Sunday.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 11:52 am
mommy3b2c wrote:
I don’t think playgroup is similar to a yeshiva. Also, I don’t think that yeshivas that are not providing any services for the kids should be getting paid tuition. Bh, my boys schools is doing the best they can. My 4 year old even has “phone school” on Sunday even though there is normally no school on Sunday.

I agree that yeshivas are still providing a service and doing the best they can. That being said do you agree there's been a major downgrade,at least for most students? There is no way to compare a students day that starts at 8:30 in the morning and finishes around 5:00, which includes classroom instructions with a whiteboard, worksheets, and the ability to have a meaningful conversation with the teacher to what's happening now on zoom or the telephone. So if I was previously paying $1000 a month per child in tuition do I have a right to tell the yeshiva I think it's fair to only pay $500 considering there's much less learning which is the very service my tuition pays for?

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 12:09 pm
It shouldn't be about what is fair. It should be about (1) what you are capable of paying and (2) if the school is doing their best.
The school still needs to pay their building expenses , all the textbook and supplies and technology programs are paid for by the year, in short the school still has expenses. If it's a one time business where it doesn't harm you if they go under, such as a home play group, a seminary, or a Pesach hotel, then I believe you pay for what you get. If your child is planning to attend the school for the next 8 years, then it's a very selfish view to say they aren't meeting their full responsibility for 2 months out of 9 years of schooling, therefore I won't pay them. In addition, most parents are not paying full tuition. If you are paying $15,000 I agree you should ask for a partial refund if you are laid off. If you are paying $5000 or other scholarship amount, you have paid less than what it costs to educate your child so you really don't have a right to demand to not pay unless you have no other choice.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 1:00 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
You are being so nasty. You obviously wouldn't make a good playgroup morah if you know of any 2yr old(or 3 or 4 for that matter!) that can stay for hours on the phone. Kids at that age spend most of their morning playing with toys. Teaching and davening take at the most 30 minutes of the schedule.
Nobody is happy to be home right now not working, no playgroup morah chose to be in that situation just the same as the parents didn't choose to be stuck at home,employed or unemployed!
It's a question for a Rav and theres really no reason to be nasty about it!

I didn’t say the kids have to sit on the phone the whole time but the Morah should be available during those hours so a mother can choose to utilize whichever hour is good for her. Maybe one kid wants to listen from ten to eleven and another might want two to three if a Morah wants to get paid all
I’m saying is there is no reason why she can’t be available during the same hours by phone if a mother wants to utilize it. Why is that nasty? Because a Morah just wants to hear that she deserves to get paid and doesn’t have to work. There is no reasons and no excuse why a Morah isn’t available during the same hours by phone.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 1:32 pm
I do an hour of Zoom each day. One mother asked if I could split it up into several different segments throughout the day. I did not take it well. Perhaps I was wrong. I said NO.

But all being well, please G-d, I would like to extend my Zoom hour until erev Pesach, although the last day of Playgroup before Pesach was supposed to be this Thursday. Even though I will be shocked if more than a very few pay me for April.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 2:30 pm
I didn’t say the kids have to sit on the phone the whole time but the Morah should be available during those hours so a mother can choose to utilize whichever hour is good for her. Maybe one kid wants to listen from ten to eleven and another might want two to three if a Morah wants to get paid all
I’m saying is there is no reason why she can’t be available during the same hours by phone if a mother wants to utilize it. Why is that nasty? Because a Morah just wants to hear that she deserves to get paid and doesn’t have to work. There is no reasons and no excuse why a Morah isn’t available during the same hours by phone.

Do you have very small children?

mha3484

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 2:32 pm
The Chicago Choshen Mishpat Kollel send an email today and it touched on this topic. It said that April checks should not be cashed by the morah without a discussion with a Rav.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 2:37 pm
notshanarishona wrote:

Exactly my 5yr old son who is very bright cant stay on phone for more than 15 min with his rebbi.
Page 6 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries