Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Pay playgroup Morah for april?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Green

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 4:17 pm
Why don’t you sit on the phone for five hours every day with your students on a conference call
Just because they can’t come to your house it doesn’t mean that you can’t entertain the kids for the parents but no you are just happy that the government said that kids can’t come to your home and you are happy to get free money.

If you feel parents should pay you then the same hours that they should pay you for you should be available by phone to entertain their kids. The government didn’t say you can’t talk on the phone.[/quote].

You obviously have no understanding of small children. Even my ninth grader has a rabbi just for 40 minutes in the phone. And besides you show some serious lack of appreciation to the morah you responded to , I hope you have more faith in your childs morah to do what is right. Most morahs feel really bad about the current situation and spend hours preparing those hagaddas...and yet are not cashing April checks.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 6:31 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Do you have very small children?

Yes I have many kids Bh and my two and a half year old would love to sit on the floor with a phone to her ear singing pesach songs with her Morah. She would love it and it would make her so happy.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 6:36 pm
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Why don’t you sit on the phone for five hours every day with your students on a conference call
Just because they can’t come to your house it doesn’t mean that you can’t entertain the kids for the parents but no you are just happy that the government said that kids can’t come to your home and you are happy to get free money.

If you feel parents should pay you then the same hours that they should pay you for you should be available by phone to entertain their kids. The government didn’t say you can’t talk on the phone.

You obviously have no understanding of small children. Even my ninth grader has a rabbi just for 40 minutes in the phone. And besides you show some serious lack of appreciation to the morah you responded to , I hope you have more faith in your childs morah to do what is right. Most morahs feel really bad about the current situation and spend hours preparing those hagaddas...and yet are not cashing April checks.[/quote]

Sorry but if your ninth grade son can’t sit on the phone with his rebbe for 40 minutes something is wrong with him. My boys are a lot younger than that and sit on the phone with their rebbe every day for two hours plus they have different numbers to call in throughout the day and they do it.

A 16 year old boy can’t learn for 40 minutes I would be worried for that child.

My six year old davens with her Morah every day. She loves it. Then she does hagadah and Chumash.

And again I said the Morah should be available throughout the day but the child doesn’t have to utilize it but the Morah should be available if mother’s want to utilize it.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 6:56 pm
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
Sorry but if your ninth grade son can’t sit on the phone with his rebbe for 40 minutes something is wrong with him. My boys are a lot younger than that and sit on the phone with their rebbe every day for two hours plus they have different numbers to call in throughout the day and they do it.

A 16 year old boy can’t learn for 40 minutes I would be worried for that child.

My six year old davens with her Morah every day. She loves it. Then she does hagadah and Chumash.

And again I said the Morah should be available throughout the day but the child doesn’t have to utilize it but the Morah should be available if mother’s want to utilize it.

I’m happy for you that you have perfect kids who can sit on these phone calls concentrating for hours. And I’m really sorry for them that they have a mother who is absolutely obnoxious with terrible middos. Hugs to them. seriously.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 7:06 pm
Yes I have many kids Bh and my two and a half year old would love to sit on the floor with a phone to her ear singing pesach songs with her Morah. She would love it and it would make her so happy.

She sounds like a very special girl.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 7:27 pm
I actually tried paying my child's playgroup morah today. At first she said she can't accept the money until she speaks to her Rav. (I told her my husband is still being paid & so we feel we can afford to pay..and she is trying her best w/ sending home projects, haggadah etc..
She ended up getting back to me that the vaad (baltimore) said to pay 1/2 for April. (unless the morah is spending bulk of regular hours working on playgroup.. which I don't see how that wld be possible for such young children..

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 7:31 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
I actually tried paying my child's playgroup morah today. At first she said she can't accept the money until she speaks to her Rav. (I told her my husband is still being paid & so we feel we can afford to pay..and she is trying her best w/ sending home projects, haggadah etc..
She ended up getting back to me that the vaad (baltimore) said to pay 1/2 for April. (unless the morah is spending bulk of regular hours working on playgroup.. which I don't see how that wld be possible for such young children..

I definitely feel that Morahs that are still working and doing zoom, sending projects, etc.. should get paid. At least something. It’s the Morahs that are doing nothing that I can’t understand why they should be paid.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 7:39 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I definitely feel that Morahs that are still working and doing zoom, sending projects, etc.. should get paid. At least something. It’s the Morahs that are doing nothing that I can’t understand why they should be paid.

Hopefully the Rabbaiem who are providing their thoughts on whether the Morah's should be paid or not will substantiate their opinions - and you'll have your answer.

amother
Green

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 7:46 pm
Amother amethyst sounds like this quarantine is really getting the better of you. Refua shelema.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 7:47 pm
KEEP IN MIND... Playgroup morahs are paid for 10 months of work with payment divided equally aver ten months. Not every month has equal number of school days, so just stopping payment for April is really like not paying for additional non-April days when there was playgroup. Keep that in mind if you decide on your own to not pay.

I think that given the unprecedented circumstances, parents and Morahs need to work together with a Rav to come to an agreement, and each family-morah agreement may be different. Also keep in mind that Morahs have expenses associated with playgroup that don't magically disappear...rent, project expenses, assistants to pay.

Please, have some respect for your morahs as people who are going through the process of navigating a difficult situation and are trying to do so in the most mentchlich, torahdik way. Also, remember that these are the women whom you entrusted your precious children with, and will likely continue to trust them with in the future. Be kind to them, pay them if you can even if they say you don't have to, and ask a shaila if you can't.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 8:05 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
KEEP IN MIND... Playgroup morahs are paid for 10 months of work with payment divided equally aver ten months. Not every month has equal number of school days, so just stopping payment for April is really like not paying for additional non-April days when there was playgroup. Keep that in mind if you decide on your own to not pay.

I think that given the unprecedented circumstances, parents and Morahs need to work together with a Rav to come to an agreement, and each family-morah agreement may be different. Also keep in mind that Morahs have expenses associated with playgroup that don't magically disappear...rent, project expenses, assistants to pay.

Please, have some respect for your morahs as people who are going through the process of navigating a difficult situation and are trying to do so in the most mentchlich, torahdik way. Also, remember that these are the women whom you entrusted your precious children with, and will likely continue to trust them with in the future. Be kind to them, pay them if you can even if they say you don't have to, and ask a shaila if you can't.

But they were presumably already paid extra for 2 weeks of no school in March so I think that evens out with the fact that they normally charge for April even with only 2 weeks of school.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 8:06 pm
It doesn’t seem like there is going to be school at all this year so what about may and June? Do Morah’s really feel they should get paid for three and a half months and they aren’t working?

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 8:09 pm
If you look on Baltimore Jewish Life, the Vaad there has just posted halachic guidelines on paying tuition, they include playgroups.
They explain the sources they used to decide, they quote from the Rema, etc.
In a nutshell, if playgroup teachers are continuing to provide any sort of lessons or materials parents should pay in full. If they are not, parents should pay half (they each take an equal share in the loss).
There is other stuff too, and of course, other communities may pasken differently but since it is based on the shulchan aruch I imagine other rulings will be similar.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 8:12 pm
It doesn’t seem like there is going to be school at all this year so what about may and June? Do Morah’s really feel they should get paid for three and a half months and they aren’t working?

I feel like I should have a bigger house, and full time help to clean it.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 8:50 pm
To add on to what I summarized before, that was the decision for the month of April. For May, they said parents don't need to pay for play groups, unless they are able to reopen by then. No refunds for March. They also based this on a similar ruling made by the Chasam Sofer for his community in a similar situation (now I'm curious what it was).
Also, tuition for regular school should still be paid, so the teachers can continue to be paid. Though schools should take financial need into consideration if parents need help.

zaftigmom

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 8:50 pm
Hi all of you. Please have a little compassion for your childrens' loving morahs who did not have a choice in this situation and still have to feed, clothe, and house their families. It's a complicated question and does not have a simple answer either way like so many of you seem to think. My husband and I are both not working right now due to government shut downs of our places of work. My husband's boss laid him off and told him to apply for unemployment and he will rehire him if and when the company is up and running again. My boss told me that so far I am still getting paid and he'll let me know if anything changes. We are both still earning money. We are both not doing even a bit of work. Your child's morah is hopefully someone you like and want good things for. If you have the money, pay. It might not seem fair. None of this is fair. Just try to treat her like you would want to be treated. She's not trying to screw you over.

keym

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 10:35 am
https://www.thelakewoodscoop.c......html

I just want to put this here.

amother
Seashell

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 10:53 am
https://www.thelakewoodscoop.c......html

I see now this was posted already

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 11:34 am
So after everyone screaming that playgroup morahs deserve the same as yeshivas, rabbi forscheimer The rav of Lakewood said that yeshiva should get full tuition and a playgroup Morah should get 1/3 to 1/4 of her regular tuition that she is enjoying the benefit of being home with her kids and she should pay for that.

I really hope every playgroup morah in Lakewood listens to him, he is an authority in Lakewood and doesn’t cash any ones April check like it saids a morah is not allowed to cash any April head check that she received.

zaftigmom

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 12:01 pm
So after everyone screaming that playgroup morahs deserve the same as yeshivas, rabbi forscheimer The rav of Lakewood said that yeshiva should get full tuition and a playgroup Morah should get 1/3 to 1/4 of her regular tuition that she is enjoying the benefit of being home with her kids and she should pay for that.

I really hope every playgroup morah in Lakewood listens to him, he is an authority in Lakewood and doesn’t cash any ones April check like it saids a morah is not allowed to cash any April head check that she received.

I'm sure the morahs will listen. I hope the rest of us listen to the part where he says that if you're doing ok financially it's commendable to pay the full amount.
Page 7 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries