Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Rabbis
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 9:46 am
Is it my imagination or are Rabbis dying more than regular people?
Maybe it only feels this way because only famous figures passing gets advertised?

singleagain

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 9:50 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it my imagination or are Rabbis dying more than regular people?
Maybe it only feels this way because only famous figures passing gets advertised?

I think you hit it with the bold.

Also, consider the ages... Are they in an higher risk group?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 9:52 am
singleagain wrote:
I think you hit it with the bold.

Also, consider the ages... Are they in an higher risk group?

Yes you’re right.
Still, so sad.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 10:02 am
Does being more exposed make you sicker? Like get a lot of exposure to virus at once?

Based on the timing I wouldn’t be surprised if many Rabbonim caught it on Purim while greeting 100s of ppl.
My fil is a ‘popular’ power associated with a yeshiva. He probably speaks to 60-100+ ppl a day. And on Purim sees 300+ ppl and has an open Purim seuda.
He got sick soon after Purim and is still sick 2 weeks later. BA’h while he is older he is very healthy and has so far had a mild extended case bH. But many in his age category aren’t as healthy.
I wondered if because he greeted so many possibly infected ppl in such a short time span he was more likely to get a stronger case.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 10:12 am
I'm not sure if you're talking about specific Rabbanim (yes sadly there's been a lot of loss) or if you're talking about names you've read on lists. In certain yeshivish/chassidish communities most married men are called "Rabbi" instead of Mr. (It doesn't necessarily mean they were actual Rabbanim in the sense we typically mean, and their loss is just as tragic, but thought I'd clarify if that was what confused you.)

amother
Red

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 10:15 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Does being more exposed make you sicker? Like get a lot of exposure to virus at once?

Based on the timing I wouldn’t be surprised if many Rabbonim caught it on Purim while greeting 100s of ppl.
My fil is a ‘popular’ power associated with a yeshiva. He probably speaks to 60-100+ ppl a day. And on Purim sees 300+ ppl and has an open Purim seuda.
He got sick soon after Purim and is still sick 2 weeks later. BA’h while he is older he is very healthy and has so far had a mild extended case bH. But many in his age category aren’t as healthy.
I wondered if because he greeted so many possibly infected ppl in such a short time span he was more likely to get a stronger case.

There was warning why did all the Rabbi’s and Morahs let everyone come to their homes? I would of been more then happy to take these stops off my list. And I still would of mailed a check.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 10:56 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:
There was warning why did all the Rabbi’s and Morahs let everyone come to their homes? I would of been more then happy to take these stops off my list. And I still would of mailed a check.

Not in my city.
Social distancing started right after purim, the following Sunday and Rabbis were the first to instruct everyone to adhere.
Even before non jewish private schools closed our schools and shuls closed.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:11 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:

Maybe this is the reason.... they shook hands with half the world on purim.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Maybe this is the reason.... they shook hands with half the world on purim.

I hear this. But I have heard from several rabbanim I respect don't let these realities lead us to bashing and blaming.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:17 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I hear this. But I have heard from several rabbanim I respect don't let these realities lead us to bashing and blaming.

Of course not.
Purim was before social distancing rules and before all the awareness that we have now.
It’s just so sad that they got so exposed and infected

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:20 pm
All shuls in my area closed for purim except one Chabad had a party
My area has 972 people with carona
10 deaths

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:23 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
All shuls in my area closed for purim except one Chabad had a party
My area has 972 people with carona
10 deaths

In my city shuls closed after purim, one by one.
Even before public schools.
Purim was a regular Purim I think just big Purim seuda gatherings were cancelled.
But Rabbis and teachers have the most visitors on purim .

amother
Red

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Of course not.
Purim was before social distancing rules and before all the awareness that we have now.
It’s just so sad that they got so exposed and infected

Everyone heard the shul in New Rochelle was closed and SAR was closed. It was on the radio.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:27 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
Everyone heard the shul in New Rochelle was closed and SAR was closed. It was on the radio.

I didn’t.

Here the isolation started after Purim and I think in many other places too.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I didn’t.

Here the isolation started after Purim and I think in many other places too.

Where are you located?

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 2:56 pm
I heard in a shiur that it is very important to strengthen our Emunah during this Coronavirus crisis, and that our Emunah will be tested as some of "the best of klal Yisrael" (Rabbanim, Roshei Yeshivos, big baalei tzedaka and chessed) will be taken from us, Hashem yiracheim. Every time we hear of a niftar or someone suffering it is terribly sad, especially when our leaders are involved, but dont lose heart and become frightened, strengthen your emunah and do the appropriate teshuva...

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 3:27 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
I heard in a shiur that it is very important to strengthen our Emunah during this Coronavirus crisis, and that our Emunah will be tested as some of "the best of klal Yisrael" (Rabbanim, Roshei Yeshivos, big baalei tzedaka and chessed) will be taken from us, Hashem yiracheim. Every time we hear of a niftar or someone suffering it is terribly sad, especially when our leaders are involved, but dont lose heart and become frightened, strengthen your emunah and do the appropriate teshuva...

Who said this??

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 3:37 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Who said this??

Rabbi Alon Anava from Eretz Yisrael. I strongly suggest watching his shiurim on the Coronavirus for spiritual perspective and directives on how to implement teshuva during this time. You won't regret it...

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 4:42 pm
Quite a lot of politicians and even Prince Charles has it. Makes sense that someone whose job is meeting people would be more likely to catch it.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 4:48 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:

DID you take them off your list, because of the warnings? If not, then you are as much to “blame” (notice it’s in quotations, cuz it’s not actually your fault) as they are. You didn’t listen to the warnings anymore than they did.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics