Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Main dish leil haseder
1  2  3  Next

momof2+?

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 11:39 pm
I always thought we can only serve a main dish protein that was made on the stovetop and not baked/ roasted. Am I wrong? What do you serve?

Brachie69

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 11:42 pm
You are correct. Many are particular to only serve boiled or braised meats.
We serve corned beef, tongue etc. Easy, boiled and kids love it!

Ilana Tamar

Post Sun, Mar 29 2020, 11:43 pm
My mother in law serves a stove top chicken. My mother roasts her chicken in the oven but was told by her rav to bake it in liquid so she always puts water on the bottom of the roasting pan.
My rav told us that it shouldn’t be broiled so I just serve a regular roasted chicken.

paintbrush

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 12:25 am
It is a minhag to not serve anything roasted or broiled at the Seder. I never made pesach before but my mother always made meat and potatoes in one pot.

dankbar

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 1:14 am
I do fried cutlets or burgers

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 1:40 am
Chicken paprikash!

DrMom

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 3:16 am
I believe that some Sephardim have a minhag to serve roasted meats on leil Seder.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 5:21 am
I put chicken cutlets in our soup and serve that.

Shuly

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 8:05 am
We do corned beef for this reason.

MiriFr

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 8:13 am
I make meatballs & quinoa or cauliflower rice. Much lighter than a roast and easier to eat at 1am

mha3484

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 8:29 am
We have meatballs or a braised dekel or chuck roast.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 8:38 am
For myself I just eat a piece of chicken from the soup, if I even eat anything, and for my husband and whatever kids are awake (and whatever guests we usually have 😢) I make club steak in a pot on the stove, with mushrooms and onions and spices.

little neshamala

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 8:41 am
We just serve a regular brisket roast that was baked covered in the oven with liquid. As per our Rav thats fine because baked in liquid covered is not roasting.

watergirl

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 8:43 am
You can bake - covered with liquid in the oven. I like to make something simple. Duck sauce chicken, bbq sauce chicken... that type of thing.

DrMom

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 8:49 am
mha3484 wrote:
We have meatballs or a braised dekel or chuck roast.

What is this?

keym

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 8:58 am
I serve duck sauce chicken or fried chicken cutlets with a bit more oil in the pan.

I don't waste my roasts or corned beef when it's so late and won't be as appreciated.

watergirl

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 9:02 am
keym wrote:
I serve duck sauce chicken or fried chicken cutlets with a bit more oil in the pan.

I don't waste my roasts or corned beef when it's so late and won't be as appreciated.

Exactly the last part of this. We don't eat until past 12 and my family looks at me like I’ve lost my mind when I bring out food after the soup and g fish. Maybe someone will want chicken and maaaaybe kugel. I buy one roast or brisket for pesach. I am not wasting it on seder night when my family doesn't want to eat!

keym

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 9:08 am
watergirl wrote:
Exactly the last part of this. We don't eat until past 12 and my family looks at me like I’ve lost my mind when I bring out food after the soup and g fish. Maybe someone will want chicken and maaaaybe kugel. I buy one roast or brisket for pesach. I am not wasting it on seder night when my family doesn't want to eat!

So I specifically don't serve soup because I want my family to fill up on something substantial and soup is a lot of water.
The fact is that the next day, we're not eating until noon or so.
But we want lighter, and we're more in a hurry so no one can really appreciate my efforts.
Our favorite is semi-deep fried schnitzel, with an optional dipping sauce, mashed potatoes, tzimmes and then dessert.
If I don't have time to fry the schnitzel, then I do duck sauce chicken- so incredibly easy, and almost impossible to burn or get dried out if I overestimated how much time the Seder takes.

groovy1224

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 9:13 am
watergirl wrote:
You can bake - covered with liquid in the oven. I like to make something simple. Duck sauce chicken, bbq sauce chicken... that type of thing.

First time making pesach here... The duck sauce/BBQ sauce is considered cooking in liquid? Or you add water?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 9:13 am
You don't need to make it on the stove top - you just need to make sure it has sufficient liquid in it so it's not roasted.

My mother always served a goulash - beef and potato stew, and I sometimes serve that. Or I make yapchik - meat baked in potato kugel - very moist, not at all roasted. I also generally have some baked-in-liquid chicken, for those who don't want meat.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics