Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
My routine isn't working, bored kids, snappy mommy

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 12:27 pm
I am supposed to work part time, 3 hours per day. The kids interrupt non stop, so I am short changing my boss, and I feel badthat the kids aren't being occupied, they are really suffering from a lack of activity . Then there is pesach cleaning, which even with this year's standards is still a lot of work! No cleaning help! Grocery shopping is a huge stress. With all this, I am desperate desperate for some me time, which doesn't happen. I don't even get to shower most days. And staying up ridiculously late to get the laundry and cleaning done makes me sleep deprived. I need help!

lovingmommy3417

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 12:31 pm
What is your husbands schedule? Can he help at all? Can you ask him to help with cleaning and laundry? Or to watch the kids while you have to work a litte?

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 12:32 pm
I could’ve written this post. All I can offer are hugs and sympathy. We’ll get thru this

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 12:39 pm
Hug

I think a lot of people are feeling you! Is there a husband?

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 12:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am supposed to work part time, 3 hours per day. The kids interrupt non stop, so I am short changing my boss, and I feel badthat the kids aren't being occupied, they are really suffering from a lack of activity . Then there is pesach cleaning, which even with this year's standards is still a lot of work! No cleaning help! Grocery shopping is a huge stress. With all this, I am desperate desperate for some me time, which doesn't happen. I don't even get to shower most days. And staying up ridiculously late to get the laundry and cleaning done makes me sleep deprived. I need help!

You do sound like you need help. Crazy times. All I can send is a virtual hug.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 1:02 pm
You sound like me - I’m working 7 hrs. 6 young kids. Help!
Pesach isn’t happening.
I can’t remember the last time I skipped shower but now it’s the norm.
The laundry is growing - clean and dirty. We live in a small home so I need to control it soon or it will take over.

Some things I’ve added daily to help
- everyone gets to learn typing 30 min per day (for them that’s exciting - find what works for you)
- outdoor walk daily
- daily excersize video
- buying games or crafts as surprise incentives.
- make a list of house jobs and let ppl pick theirs.
- I ordered cleaning supplies to make my life easier. Like disposable toilet brushes.
- older kids (9-12) are making school for preschool kids. Teach Haggadah and parsha with crafts.

DH is still working full time out of the house. And giving a mighty shiur over kthe phone (requires prep). Because he leaves the house he is responsible for all shopping and errands.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 1:07 pm
Cut out pesach cleaning please stop!
The mitzvah is to remove the chometz.

Lock up any place that isn’t used pesach and just wipe out 2 cabinets that will be in use.
Vacuum your floors well next tues and wipe your table.

imorethanamother

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 1:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

This is me!!! Only I'm supposed to be working full time! Right now I'm in the bathroom with my laptop so I can get something done, waiting for a file to upload.

I also feel bad, but I have to remind myself that growing up, I had this time off before Pesach and both my parents were mega professionals and my mother didn't come home before 4/5. What did I do all day? I have no real recollection, but no one was giving me lots of projects and fun things to do. That much I remember. The good news is, it doesn't seem to have hurt me!

This is a blip. Let's remember that. My husband was also sick so I had to deal with that on top of everything else.

Here's a question: how old are your kids? The other day I wrote a quick "scavenger hunt" on a paper, gave my phone to my 8 year old and 5 year old, and told them to find the items around the house and take pictures of it. It kept them occupied and I got an hour's work done! For a treat, chocolate as a reward. Another time I gave them a bottle of windex, my phone, and told them to clean five items in the house and take pictures of the results. (kids love the camera)

When I do laundry, I put each kid's laundry in its own pile, and that kid (even my five year old) has to put it away neatly in a drawer. They also love the vacuum, so tell them it's time to do the couch and let them have at it. This way things get done and the house is cleaner and you can also work.

Hang in there! We can do it!

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 1:08 pm
OP, you are not alone!!!! This is the challenge thousands of us are facing. I have not started Pesach yet because I’ve been sick with the virus in addition to working full time and the kids on my head. It’s hard. Nobody will deny that. I have let go. I’m letting things slide. I had to clock out of work because I feel too sick. It’s ok. The boss will have to understand. It’s ok if the kids don’t have structure . They will survive and they will thrive.
Last night Rabbi Rietti spoke and I appreciated his chizuk during these times. It made me feel so much better. Here’s the link to that lecture (when you are lying in bed and have some quiet time for yourself )
https://www.torahanytime.com/#.....06602

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 1:18 pm
I’m in a similar situation, working 6 hours a day, DH is in healthcare so he’s working around the clock, and I’m trying to make Pesach in a small apartment. Here’s how I’m managing:
1. Structure - We have a schedule on the fridge that we follow loosely so the kids know what’s coming
2. Mornings the kids are on their hotlines and I get a stretch of work done so in the afternoon I’m not as stressed, knowing that I got in a few good hours. The rest of the work gets done at night when the kids are in bed
3. Everyone gets dressed and makes their own beds every morning - helps everyone feel human
4. Pesach cleaning - what’s that? I did some kitchen cabinets yesterday and whatever I don’t get to will be taped shut. The end.
5. The afternoon is for screen time, crafts, etc. when everyone has less patience for each other
6. I try to do little household tasks throughout the day so it’s not as overwhelming, for example, when I make my coffee I wash the dishes

At the end of the day I do feel like I’m on a treadmill but it’s somewhat manageable when we have a structure.

amother
Blonde

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 1:35 pm
I agree with above poster behaving like normal society is important
- wake normal time
- dress in normal clothing (no pjs)
- daven
- make bed
- eat breakfast

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 2:05 pm
Thanks everyone, the advice was helpful!

Elfrida

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 3:15 pm
This year we can understand the meaning of avodat perach.

behappy2

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 3:30 pm
Most important. Throw away the guilt. Be ok with kids not big ok. See if boss can allow you to work less. You are doing a lot! Ppl are having a hard time juggling less.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics