Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Green kallah wedding dress
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

cassandra

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 11:49 am
Yes.. I'm still waiting for that pre-1840 source.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 12:02 pm
sunnybrook wrote:
How would you people feel if this Ashkenazi kallah decided to be "different" by wearing a traditional colorful Yemenite bridal costume?

happens a lot in mixed cultures weddings!

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 12:05 pm
miri123 wrote:
Actually the Rebetzin Chaya Mushkah Shneerson z'l wore three dresses for her wedding, pale blue, silver and beige with no tulle and no tiara.
The Rebetzin's Yortzait is today she should have alyias haneshama

when did she change her dress?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 12:09 pm
sunnybrook wrote:
Micki, did you make up that color poem? If not, where is it from?

Others, I asked about the Yemenite gown only to get people to think whether they were being bothered by the "statement" they perceived she was trying to make by choosing the color green. Is it bec Its not a kallah thing, pristine purity et al -- or bec its such a unexpected anticonformist statement.
There was a wedding this month {Orth} in America, fancy hall and all, with the kallah a former Israeli, and lots of her friends showed up in jeans.... If you were from the chossons side, everyone very mainstream Orth, how would you feel?
Note: she did wear a white gown and did the regular kallah act straight thru.

I can think of at least 2 mainstream Orthodox guys who came to my wedding in jeans.
At the last bar mitzva in our community, many mainstream girls were in jeans skirt.

cindy324

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 1:38 pm
MRS. XYZ...TSK TSK TSK

Don't you know I'm stronger than to fall for some smiling daisy? LOL

Purplehair

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 2:11 pm
sunnybrook wrote:

There was a wedding this month {Orth} in America, fancy hall and all, with the kallah a former Israeli, and lots of her friends showed up in jeans.... If you were from the chossons side, everyone very mainstream Orth, how would you feel?
Note: she did wear a white gown and did the regular kallah act straight thru.

The first thing that would have crossed my mind (had I been at the "jean" wedding) would have been;
"WOW..these girls came all the way from Israel to be m'sameach the Kallah!!"
Yes, I might have thought that it was unusual for these girls to be attending in denim when everyone else was dressed in their "Shabbos best", however, that is really between them and the Kallah.
What if they couldn't afford/didn't have a "gown" to wear to the wedding? I would be impressed that they came despite everything and didn't care what anyone else thougth when they did such.
What if this was an in-joke between the friends and the Kallah?
Do you really think Hashem would lessen the Schar Mitzvah that they received for being m'sameach Chossen and Kallah just because they were in jeans? I think not.

miri123

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 2:17 pm
Ruchel wrote:
miri123 wrote:
Actually the Rebetzin Chaya Mushkah Shneerson z'l wore three dresses for her wedding, pale blue, silver and beige with no tulle and no tiara.

She wore one for the kabolas ponim & chupah, one for the reception and the third one for the seudah that took place at midnight.
All this is quoted from the last Neshei Newsletter.

Purplehair

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 2:18 pm
Oh..I meant to add this in the last post, and then decided it deserved its own..
WHAT IS KNAKADIG?????

(Shall we start a new thread:"Those who don't know what it is, and wish they did!!!)

Purplehair

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 2:19 pm
miri123 wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
miri123 wrote:

She wore one for the kabolas ponim & chupah, one for the reception and the third one for the seudah that took place at midnight.

Are there any pictures? I would love to see the dresses, they sound lovely.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 2:40 pm
Purplehair wrote:
miri123 wrote:
Ruchel wrote:
miri123 wrote:

Are there any pictures? I would love to see the dresses, they sound lovely.

exactly what I was thinking!

Imawoman

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 3:52 pm
I wanted a pink dress, but no one thought that was a good idea Sad. Instead I wore a white dress that will sit in my closet forever because I can never wear it again.

Purplehair

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 4:48 pm
Imawoman wrote:
I wanted a pink dress, but no one thought that was a good idea Sad. Instead I wore a white dress that will sit in my closet forever because I can never wear it again.

Depending on how old the dress is (and if its still in style), you might want to consider donating it to a G'mach. This way, another Kallah could feel like a princess as well without having to be as affluent as one.
After my wedding, I lent my gown to a friend. After the friend's wedding, it went to a G'mach, and apparently to a number of other kallahs (or so I was told).
At this point, its nearly 2 decades old, and I wonder what became of it.
But, at least its not using up my precious closet space Wink .

cassandra

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 5:00 pm
Purplehair wrote:

Depending on how old the dress is (and if its still in style), you might want to consider donating it to a G'mach. This way, another Kallah could feel like a princess as well without having to be as affluent as one.
After my wedding, I lent my gown to a friend. After the friend's wedding, it went to a G'mach, and apparently to a number of other kallahs (or so I was told).
At this point, its nearly 2 decades old, and I wonder what became of it.
But, at least its not using up my precious closet space Wink .

I also donated mine to a Gemach, which reminds me of another thread. When I called the woman and told her it was for someone 5"2, around size 10, she was very excited. Apparently, she gets a lot of requests for dresses like this. Wink

Chani

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 6:34 pm
Quote:
When I called the woman and told her it was for someone 5"2, around size 10, she was very excited. Apparently, she gets a lot of requests for dresses like this.

Rolling Laughter

louche

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 7:28 pm
Eowyn wrote:
It is a non jewish tradition to wear a white gown, so really, we shouldn't wear white gowns at all.

We try to distance ourself from non jewish customs, why should this be different?

Try this on for size--because your wedding day is like your own personal yom kippur and on YK we wear white like the angels.

Not saying a kallah mustn't wear another color, just pointing out that for the opinions that say davka no white, there is an equal and opposite opinion that says yes.

louche

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 7:55 pm
Purplehair wrote:
attending in denim when everyone else was dressed in their "Shabbos best"

for all we know, those jeans may have in fact been their Shabbos best.

Many years ago, a girl who was in the process of becoming frum went to a Thursday-thru-Sunday convention and packed her one and only denim skirtto wear on shabbos. where she was from, she was considerd weird because she owned a skirt. Imagine how she felt when she arrived on Thrsday and saw that all the girls, but every single one, was wearing a denim skirt or jumper.

for everyone else, that was their weekday uniform. her weekday uniform was jeans, and a denim skirt, by virtue of being a skirt and not trousers, was her shabbos best. (at that time. she later graduated to dressier wear.) She was doing nothing wrong: she was honoring shabbos by wearing her finest clothing. the fact that her finest clothing was equal to someone else's everyday wear was irrelevant.

who knows--that girl may be one of you, right here!

louche

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 8:06 pm
Purplehair wrote:
Oh..I meant to add this in the last post, and then decided it deserved its own..
WHAT IS KNAKADIG?????

(Shall we start a new thread:"Those who don't know what it is, and wish they did!!!)

A "knocker" pronounced k'nocker,with an R at the end, don't drop it even if you're from NY, is a big-shot. "k'nockerdik" also don't drop the R, is arrogant or ostentatious. Unless she means actually "k'nockedik", no R, which means "crackling", from 'K'nock", meaning "crack' or "snap".

downsyndrome

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 8:15 pm
Okay, okay, lemme think of a knackadiga answer to your question.
Louche, your explanations have nothing to do with the meaning of knackadig.
'Knakadig' means something like 'gevaldig', 'really on the ball/spot' or something like that. I used it in my post as in a 'knakadiga' response to a specific post.

justanothermother

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 8:21 pm
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have never heard that word before in my life.

gigi

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 8:42 pm
By the way..
there really is nothing wrong with a green wedding dress!
here are some examples to prove it to you..

light green....

Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics