Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Green kallah wedding dress
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

downsyndrome

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 3:47 pm
cindy324 wrote:
I'm gonna give myself a pat on the back now...pat pat...

Only a few of you will probably know what I meant by that...

It was hard , but I fought the temptation...

Please don't ask...I already patted myself on the back Confused

Pat, pat, Cindy - I know, I know, you had the urge to write something really 'knakadig' but you shooed the yetzer hora out the door, right?? Very Happy

cindy324

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 4:19 pm
Yes, downs, ya got it Tongue Out Thanks for that extra pat, made me feel even better!

Purplehair

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 5:27 pm
"knakadig"???
Translation, please?
(I want to be proud of Cindy too!)

sunnybrook

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 5:37 pm
How would you people feel if this Ashkenazi kallah decided to be "different" by wearing a traditional colorful Yemenite bridal costume?

Purplehair

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 5:41 pm
sunnybrook wrote:
How would you people feel if this Ashkenazi kallah decided to be "different" by wearing a traditional colorful Yemenite bridal costume?

The same way I'd feel if she wore "traditional" white...HAPPY FOR HER!!!
(BTW..would you have a link of such a (Yemenite) gown? I would love to see one for myself. Very Happy )

greentiger

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 5:44 pm
I think we should stop caring so much about what other people are doing.

justanothermother

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 5:58 pm
Purplehair wrote:
"knakadig"???
Translation, please?
(I want to be proud of Cindy too!)

Me too.

waterbottle

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 6:08 pm
colored kallah gowns is the new "in style" fashion. I have heard of light pink gowns, light blue gowns, and even a white gown with a greenish tint. I doubt Sarah Imenu got married in a white wedding gown and I don't think it's such a big deal if a girl chooses to go against the traditional grain. I am all for fashion. Besides, I have seen some pretty horrendous white kallah gowns trying to be fancy.

Crayon210

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 6:23 pm
cindy324 wrote:
I'm gonna give myself a pat on the back now...pat pat...

Only a few of you will probably know what I meant by that...

It was hard , but I fought the temptation...

Please don't ask...I already patted myself on the back Confused

Good girl, Cindy, would you like a cookie?

micki

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 6:30 pm
Married in white, you have chosen all right.

Married in green, ashamed to be seen.

Married in red, you will wish yourself dead.

Married in blue, you will always be true.

Married in yellow, ashamed of your fellow.

Married in black, you will wish yourself back.

Married in pink, your spirits will sink

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 6:31 pm
cindy since you got your pat on the back you deserve a l'chaim too Drunken Smile

oh and me 3 on that translation What

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 6:33 pm
What a ridiculous thread. OP, personally, I think maybe you need to get to know the kallah better and not spend that time talking about her dress choices on this site. Btw, what happens when she shows up to her chuppah and half of the women in the shul or wherever, are thinking, "oh she's who we've been talking about?" As for a green dress. Good for her, she's making her own decisions for her wedding, which I know many people did not. I'm sure she'll be beautiful.

louche

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 8:10 pm
sunnybrook wrote:

I'd come home and tell my family "that was such an interesting wedding, the kallah wore the red-and-gold Yemenite gown that I told you about from the museum." Hey, I've been to plenty of ashkenazi simchas where the couple adopted some sepharadi minhag or other, and plenty of litvish simchas where the couple adopted some chassidish minhag or other, why should this be any different?

I'd feel a bit sorry for the kallah, though, esp. if the wedding were in summer--the yemenite robe looks like it weighs a ton and must be very hot. Stunning, but hot.

chavs

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 8:53 pm
Personally, I feel that its the brides decision what she will wear. I might think that she might have a family minhag not to wear white, that would pretty much be it.

I am however quite appalled that someone would consider not going and participate in the mitzvah of being sameach the chosson and kalloh because they disaproved of her dress. Think of the hurt it could cause the Kalloh on her wedding day, where its a mitzvah to make her happy.
Furthermore I doubt anyone would ever look at the guest and think "I cant believe she went to a chasuna where the kalloh wore a dress that wasnt white!! If they did they would in my view be seriously narrow minded and I really wouldnt be worried about what they thought about me.
Further more I always understood that wearing white is not a jewish tradition which is why some people davka have the minhag of wearing of white or other colours.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 9:11 pm
Hannah! wrote:
If it was my daughter, I would make her pay for the monstrosity herself.

And it better be with money she earned working, not money she saved from her allowance!

I would SERIOUSLY consider not attending this wedding, OP.

You must be joking. You Can't seriously Believe that you would get tainted because your, niece , cousin, DIL wears a green dress.

Personally, I'd think it was odd, but it would not bother me in the least.

justanothermother

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 9:24 pm
Our family has a minhag not to wear white for a kallah. So as not to be unusual, we wear shades of cream, but I have never heard anywhere that it is a Jewish custom to davka wear white.

Eowyn

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 9:30 pm
This thread totally surprises me as well. It is a non jewish tradition to wear a white gown, so really, we shouldn't wear white gowns at all.

We try to distance ourself from non jewish customs, why should this be different?

In any case, it's her wedding so she can wear whatever she wants. Good on her for choose a color and dress she really likes vs a white one just because.

miri123

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 9:36 pm
Actually the Rebetzin Chaya Mushkah Shneerson z'l wore three dresses for her wedding, pale blue, silver and beige with no tulle and no tiara.
The Rebetzin's Yortzait is today she should have alyias haneshama

amother

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 9:40 pm
I think the OP is more concerned that someone in her circle will find out that she attended a wedding where the kallah wore green than the fact that a non-traditional color will be worn. Fine, it's certainly not the norm. If the OP is so uncomfortable with the attire, she should stay home on that day.

White is worn at a Jewish wedding because it is considered like a Yom Kippur for the bride and groom. So, just like many of us where white garments on Yom Kippur, the same is done under the chuppah. The groom wears a kittel and bride wears a white dress. Perhaps this bride does not want to follow this.

louche

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 9:50 pm
amother wrote:
It's not my daughter or dil (phew). How would you react if your daughter or daughter in law, who is the kallah, wanted to wear a green dress? How would you react if you were a guest at such a wedding. If you think it is crazy, who would you think is crazy? The kallah? Her parents too? Siblings? In law siblings who also married in?

Since when does a kallah's choice of clothing forher wedding reflect anything at all about the mental state of her parents, siblings, inlaws, boss, pet goldfish or accountant?

How would I react if I were a guest at the wedding? depends on the kallah's complexion. If it makes her look greenish or sallow, which green often does to people, I'd feel bad for her that no one advised her it doesn't flatter her coloring. OTOH if it brings out her fabulous green eyes, why not?

Now if you said the kallah wanted to wear her pet goldfish in abowl on her head instead of a headpiece as she walked down the aisle, that would be a little odd. But who knows--could be a private joke between her and her pals. As in, she once said to her best friend, "I don't believe you'll have the guts to get a buzz cut. If you do, I'll wear a goldfish bowl on my head to my chuppah." Oh, BTW, that's the maid of honor over there--the one with the buzz cut.
Page 4 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics