Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Green kallah wedding dress
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

louche

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 9:53 pm
MeThinks wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if this kallah (and maybe the mother too) are unhappy souls and suffer from inferior complex if they need to be different than the norm and outdo others.

"if a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
H. Thoreau

Works for women, too.

louche

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 10:14 pm
amother wrote:

What would you guys do if you were her parents or in law parents?

Nada. It's her wedding, not mine. If she wants to get married barefoot on a mountaintop in nepal in a denim skirt and T-shirt, it's still her wedding, not mine. And I'm sure she'll look beautiful. I had my chance to make my dream wedding the way I wanted it (given, of course, the limitations of our budget), now is her turn. Naturally, if getting to the mountaintop is a problem for the guests, we would ask her to choose another venue. Hopefully we have brought up children who will have some consideration for others even on "their" day.

the only way I would interfere with her choice of dress would be if there were an issue of tznius--which G-d willing if we've done our job right, there wouldn't be. Oh, OK, I admit it, if she really wanted to get married on a mountaintop in nepal, I'd do my darnedest to persuade her to wear a coat and boots. It's really hard to dance when your feet are frostbitten.

louche

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 10:25 pm
Purplehair wrote:
My Uncle's wife (my aunt), got married wearing a long blue velvet gown. It was a first marriage for the both of them, both were over 50 at the time, and both aren't religious.
She felt that it was more important for her to celebrate her special day dressed in a manner which made her feel regal, as oppossed to "like a bleached out dishrag" (her words). She looked stunning.

Good for her! Not everyone looks good in white, plus the white ballgown is a very young look, not necessarily flattering to a mature woman. Your aunt was smart to realize that the a non-traditional getup would look better and make her happier.

cindy324

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 10:30 pm
WEEE...

Thanks guys! A pat, a cookie( as long as it's not oatmeal) and a shot ( hope you got the good stuff green LOL )!!! It pays to be a good girl!

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 11:01 pm
(Pssst, Cindy, so what did you really want to say? Wont tell anyone! Wink )

justanothermother

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 11:49 pm
Who knew the yetzer hara came disguised as a smiling daisy Smile

BTW, there is a growing group of us still waiting to find out what 'knakadig' means.

Crayon210

Post Mon, Jan 28 2008, 11:54 pm
Should you ask Yael for a private forum? 8)

justanothermother

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 12:07 am
louche wrote:
Nada. It's her wedding, not mine. If she wants to get married barefoot on a mountaintop in nepal in a denim skirt and T-shirt, it's still her wedding, not mine. And I'm sure she'll look beautiful. I had my chance to make my dream wedding the way I wanted it (given, of course, the limitations of our budget), now is her turn. Naturally, if getting to the mountaintop is a problem for the guests, we would ask her to choose another venue. Hopefully we have brought up children who will have some consideration for others even on "their" day.

I hope if she is getting married in Nepal you should have the sense to convince her to dress properly - like this

Otherwise your nearest and dearest may not want to come to the wedding. It can get lonely up there on the mountaintop.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 12:15 am
I want to say 3 things:

First....
Quote:
They live in a chassidish community but they are more modern... probably Litvish

Since when is Litvish more modern than Chassidish??

Second.......Cindy, this is for you:

PAT...PAT...PAT...PAT.

Third..........And whoever is quoting Hannah! and responding to her, she was just kidding!!!!

leomom

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 12:16 am
I just wanted to thank everyone for some great laughs on this page.... needed it, thanks! Very Happy

sunnybrook

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 3:41 am
Micki, did you make up that color poem? If not, where is it from?

Others, I asked about the Yemenite gown only to get people to think whether they were being bothered by the "statement" they perceived she was trying to make by choosing the color green. Is it bec Its not a kallah thing, pristine purity et al -- or bec its such a unexpected anticonformist statement.
There was a wedding this month {Orth} in America, fancy hall and all, with the kallah a former Israeli, and lots of her friends showed up in jeans.... If you were from the chossons side, everyone very mainstream Orth, how would you feel?
Note: she did wear a white gown and did the regular kallah act straight thru.

HindaRochel

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 4:49 am
sunnybrook wrote:
Micki, did you make up that color poem? If not, where is it from?

Others, I asked about the Yemenite gown only to get people to think whether they were being bothered by the "statement" they perceived she was trying to make by choosing the color green. Is it bec Its not a kallah thing, pristine purity et al -- or bec its such a unexpected anticonformist statement.
There was a wedding this month {Orth} in America, fancy hall and all, with the kallah a former Israeli, and lots of her friends showed up in jeans.... If you were from the chossons side, everyone very mainstream Orth, how would you feel?
Note: she did wear a white gown and did the regular kallah act straight thru.

It wouldn't be my concern. I would probably think "they don't have manners" but really, what is that to me in the end? Their behavior has nothing to do with making the Kallah happy.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 7:49 am
Eowyn wrote:
This thread totally surprises me as well. It is a non jewish tradition to wear a white gown, so really, we shouldn't wear white gowns at all. We try to distance ourself from non jewish customs, why should this be different?

Where did you pick up this nonsense from that it's a non jewish tradition? According to kabbalah, just like the chosson wears white (the kittel) for various reasons, so does the kallah. There's no reason for us to change because the non jews decided to mimic us. There are plenty of Jewish traditions which non jews imitate us.

If only we would be so disturbed about non jewish non-tznius clothing and other non jewish stuff in general and follow Jewish tradition and laws in all matters, we would be in great shape.

technic

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 8:16 am
louche wrote:

Now if you said the kallah wanted to wear her pet goldfish in abowl on her head instead of a headpiece as she walked down the aisle, that would be a little odd

I see a potential customer 4 breslovs dh!!! LOL

justanothermother

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 8:17 am
MeThinks wrote:
Eowyn wrote:
This thread totally surprises me as well. It is a non jewish tradition to wear a white gown, so really, we shouldn't wear white gowns at all. We try to distance ourself from non jewish customs, why should this be different?

Where did you pick up this nonsense from that it's a non jewish tradition? According to kabbalah, just like the chosson wears white (the kittel) for various reasons, so does the kallah. There's no reason for us to change because the non jews decided to mimic us. There are plenty of Jewish traditions which non jews imitate us.

If only we would be so disturbed about non jewish non-tznius clothing and other non jewish stuff in general and follow Jewish tradition and laws in all matters, we would be in great shape.

Can you bring sources for this please?

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 8:45 am
MeThinks wrote:

Our reasons for white is to be pure like angels - not the 'purity' of virginity.

In addition, the tradition for the bride to wear white is a non jewish tradition.

micki

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 8:51 am
I googled "jewish custom white wedding " and one web site had this poem.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 9:05 am
justanothermother wrote:

Momentarily, dh is not home to give me the source. In the meantime, you can get it from other talmidei chachomim.

Kmelion wrote:
In addition, the tradition for the bride to wear white is a non jewish tradition.

If for non jews it symbolizes xtian virginity, it's not our problem. For Jews it symbolizes Yom Kippur - free of sin and purity like angels and many more reasons.

You can be sure it's not a non jewish tradition if the greatest of Rabbis had their daughters wear white. They would never allow non jewish traditions to enter their homes, neither with clothing nor with anything else.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 9:17 am
technic wrote:
louche wrote:

Now if you said the kallah wanted to wear her pet goldfish in abowl on her head instead of a headpiece as she walked down the aisle, that would be a little odd

I see a potential customer 4 breslovs dh!!! LOL

Nervous or the latest "halacha" I mean "minhag" Rolling Laughter

Mrs. XYZ

Post Tue, Jan 29 2008, 11:40 am
justanothermother wrote:
MeThinks wrote:
Eowyn wrote:

Would like to know too. Since there are definitely some families- Rebbishe- that davka dont wear pure white, only wear off-white.
Page 5 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics