Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
No meat, fish or eggs

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 4:00 pm
I am in desperate need of help.

Ds is vegetarian (no meat or fish) and allergic to eggs. He can eat egg cooked into things, so cake is ok, but mayonnaise and omelets/quiche are not.

I have no recollection what he ate last pesach. He can be picky too.

But if someone can suggest something other than matza and cheese, or pesach pasta, I will be forever in your debt.

(Anon, because fairly unique requirements).

Elfrida

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 4:08 pm
Potatoes?
Roast vegetables?
Do you eat quinoa?
Matza lasagne? (A variation on matza and cheese, but variety is the spice of life)
Nut roast? Here's a link for one recipe below. It wouldn't be hard to adapt it for Pesach.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/rec.....99997

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 4:09 pm
Quinoa is filling
Walnut meat tacos in lettuce wraps
Mushroom meatballs over spaghetti squash
Quinoa veggie burgers sandwiched in fried eggplant rounds
Lasagna made with zucchini slices
Cheesy stuffed potatoes
Portobello cap pizza
Greek salad and various salads and vegetable dishes (sprinkle with nuts or cheese to make them more filling)
Various hearty chunky and blended root vegetable soups

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 4:26 pm
Veggie kugels
Roasted Veggies -add different spices for different flavors
Cauliflower rice

Salads -
Israeli
Green/Garden
Heart of palm/avocado/baby tomato
Fennel
Carrot
Beets
Pepper slaw/peppers/onion thinly sliced
Matbucha
Guacamole
Tapanad/olive dip

Stuffed mini peppers with ricotta cheese - like stuffed shells

Eggplant parm

Cauliflower crust pizza

Stuffed zucchini with ground mushroom and rice cauliflower
I never did this so I would have to experiment
Sautée finely chopped onion, mushroom riced cauliflower, salt, pepper, dash of all spice
When mixture is cooked add a beaten egg or 2

Cut zucchini in 1/2. Core out zucchini. Salt interior

Stuff zucchini with mushroom mixture

Place zucchini tightly in pyrex
Tomato sauce/ lemon juice/ sugar (optional)/ salt.
Bake

You can make stuffed cabbage the same way

Tacos using lettuce leaves for taco shells , ground mushroom sautéed with onion, shredded cheese, chopped veggies

Grilled portabella mushrooms - I like to serve this with mashed cauliflower and roasted broccoli spear

Stuffed artichoke bottoms with spinach and cook in tomato sauce

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 4:43 pm
How old is your son? How long has he been vegetarian?
I'm vegetarian too, I don't ask anyone to cook special things for me tho.
My pesach menu is:
Breakfast: eggs, cottage cheese, tomatoes, sometimes home fries or mashed potatoes.

Lunch: matzah and soup
If you eat rice many soups match well with that; one of my favorite vegetarian meals is butternut squash soup with rice near it.
Another great soup idea is tomato cabbage soup.

Dinner: whatever is vegetarian from the family menu, usually the salads and sides.
I used to eat ground fish so I'd either bake or fry sliced gefilta fish, or open a can of tuna and blend it.
I may gain a few pounds but I'm never too hungry.
If you want to "patchke" a little you can make DELICIOUS vegetarian meatballs, I have a great recipe but it includes chic peas which are kitniyot. Or you can try stuffed baked potatoes- do you use broccoli?
I'd buy nuts for him to snack on so he can have the extra nutrition. (Some families don't eat peanuts, I'm not sure if it's kitniyot)

Buy some extra veggies like acorn squash, sweet potatoes, spinach etc so he can roast or steam whatever he wants and make his own bowls. I add some apples to my sheet pan (and then bowl) for taste, and sprinkle with cashews.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 4:50 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
How old is your son? How long has he been vegetarian?
I'm vegetarian too, I don't ask anyone to cook special things for me tho.
My pesach menu is:
Breakfast: eggs, cottage cheese, tomatoes, sometimes home fries or mashed potatoes.

Lunch: matzah and soup
If you eat rice many soups match well with that; one of my favorite vegetarian meals is butternut squash soup with rice near it.
Another great soup idea is tomato cabbage soup.

Dinner: whatever is vegetarian from the family menu, usually the salads and sides.
I used to eat ground fish so I'd either bake or fry sliced gefilta fish, or open a can of tuna and blend it.
I may gain a few pounds but I'm never too hungry.
If you want to "patchke" a little you can make DELICIOUS vegetarian meatballs, I have a great recipe but it includes chic peas which are kitniyot. Or you can try stuffed baked potatoes- do you use broccoli?
I'd buy nuts for him to snack on so he can have the extra nutrition. (Some families don't eat peanuts, I'm not sure if it's kitniyot)

Buy some extra veggies like acorn squash, sweet potatoes, spinach etc so he can roast or steam whatever he wants and make his own bowls. I add some apples to my sheet pan (and then bowl) for taste, and sprinkle with cashews.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I'll try some of them.

He's 12. So while he does cook one night a week (all my kids are responsible for cooking dinner one night a week), don't think I can expect him to cook for a three day yom tov for himself.

We don't eat kitniyot, so unfortunately no rice, chickpeas etc.

In general he doesn't eat mushrooms or quinoa. But maybe I'll try and convince him to try.

He does eat potatoes, salad (lettuce based) and some soups.

I would love it if he would eat fish, which he used to love, but he can't bring himself to eat an animal.

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 4:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for all the suggestions. I'll try some of them.

He's 12. So while he does cook one night a week (all my kids are responsible for cooking dinner one night a week), don't think I can expect him to cook for a three day yom tov for himself.

We don't eat kitniyot, so unfortunately no rice, chickpeas etc.

In general he doesn't eat mushrooms or quinoa. But maybe I'll try and convince him to try.

He does eat potatoes, salad (lettuce based) and some soups.

I would love it if he would eat fish, which he used to love, but he can't bring himself to eat an animal.

Thank you, thank you for not yelling at him. I literally used to dump my dinner plate in the bottom of the garbage or off the porch for fear of my father saying it's all shtusim, etc. I understand that he was scared for my health but it caused so much friction and resentment. I was forced to eat chicken too many times, and would throw up EVERYTHING I ate the past two days when that happened. I ate ground fish as that was our compromise (I was pescatarian then).

Does he have menu ideas?
There are GREAT vegetarian cookbooks out there, but it takes some getting used to. It's also harder on pesach with no kitniyot.
Also regarding the quinoa, the one I use isn't certified kosher for Passover so I don't use it (not sure what else is processed at the factory).

What does he cook on his dinner nights? Always open to more ideas.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 5:05 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Thank koyou, thank you for not yelling at him. I literally used to dump my dinner plate in the bottom of the garbage or off the porch for fear of my father saying it's all shtusim, etc. I understand that he was scared for my health but it caused so much friction and resentment. I was forced to eat chicken too many times, and would throw up EVERYTHING I ate the past two days when that happened. I ate ground fish as that was our compromise (I was pescatarian then).

Does he have menu ideas?
There are GREAT vegetarian cookbooks out there, but it takes some getting used to. It's also harder on pesach with no kitniyot.
Also regarding the quinoa, the one I use isn't certified kosher for Passover so I don't use it (not sure what else is processed at the factory).

What does he cook on his dinner nights? Always open to more ideas.

During the year he'll eat soy products, so the fake ground beef etc. He'll cook tacos, lasagna, pizza, daal etc on his night to cook. They're all chametz or kitniyot.

He like indian and chinese food. But again, not easily translatable to pesach.

I'm much more concerned about yom tov than chol hamoed. Mainly because the parev is so difficult (partly due to his fussiness).

Believe me, life would be 1000 times easier if he wasn't vegetarian, but I'm not going to force him to eat something that appalls him.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 5:07 pm
He might enjoy mini cheesy quinoa bites as a delicious way to break into quinoa.

Cheesy Quinoa Bites
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 cup shredded cheese
1 cup cooked veggies (like chopped broccoli)
1 egg (you can skip)
1/2 tsp kosher salt

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a mini muffin tin with oil.
Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and mix until thoroughly combined.
Divide the mixture evenly between the cups of the mini muffin tin, and press down to pack it in firmly.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 5:08 pm
Lots of avocado on matza.

Nut loaf.
This ones looks pretty adaptable to pesach (subbing out the breadcrumbs of course)
https://www.veganricha.com/veg.....30129

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 5:19 pm
Hi OP! I have one of those kids, also since age 12, even down to the eggs in baked items (free range organic small farm only- DC is an ethical vegan, not allergic).
For Pesach, we rely on many different nuts, sweet potatoes, avocados, dried fruit and olives.

We make lots of roast vegetables and salads but I always make sure there are high fiber, high calorie items at each meal.

I make pico de gallo and authentic guacamole with all fresh ingredients too. Enlist ds with the chopping. I tell my dc a knife is a much more ethical way of chopping than using a cuisinart... Silly

Almond butter helps during weekdays. Apples or bananas with almond butter can be a meal or snack.

I also hold that chocolate and chips are not meal replacements. No junk food vegans in our house.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 5:40 pm
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Hi OP! I have one of those kids, also since age 12, even down to the eggs in baked items (free range organic small farm only- DC is an ethical vegan, not allergic).
For Pesach, we rely on many different nuts, sweet potatoes, avocados, dried fruit and olives.

We make lots of roast vegetables and salads but I always make sure there are high fiber, high calorie items at each meal.

I make pico de gallo and authentic guacamole with all fresh ingredients too. Enlist ds with the chopping. I tell my dc a knife is a much more ethical way of chopping than using a cuisinart... Silly

Almond butter helps during weekdays. Apples or bananas with almond butter can be a meal or snack.

I also hold that chocolate and chips are not meal replacements. No junk food vegans in our house.

What do you do for yom tov meals? I'm thinking seder. No egg, no gefilte fish. Yes soup and then??? I'm stuck at that point. He will eat some of the sides. But definitely won't feel full. Three days of that...

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 6:14 pm
Sweet potatoes will fill you up.

Have dc sit down and discuss the options. 12 is not too young to take responsibility for diet restrictions.

If you want to get fancy, do a search for pesach recipes, vegetarian and augment them for your needs.

I got some recipes off a post here a few years ago.

There are walnut nut based mock chopped livers for pesach.

For the seder, maybe a
Matzo eggplant casserole, (more like a vegan moussaka without the cheese)

My dc is 17 1/2 now and can help prepare, or can eat what's available.

We also make old fashioned potato kugel, with ethical eggs. Not diet food, but fills you, lots of calories.

If I can get 6 different salads on the table, sweet potatoes and nut date dessert balls with melon, dc's satisfied. You'd be surprised how high fiber can create satiety.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Mar 30 2020, 6:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What do you do for yom tov meals? I'm thinking seder. No egg, no gefilte fish. Yes soup and then??? I'm stuck at that point. He will eat some of the sides. But definitely won't feel full. Three days of that...

Before YT, have him make some base items.

Like nut based taco meat. You can find Pereg cumin & Liebers chili powder. Use regular paprika instead of the smoked. Serve in whole roasted peppers. Sides from the table.
https://minimalistbaker.com/10.....meat/

Cashew cream is easy just soak nuts, drain and blend with fresh water and seasoning.

Mousaka is a great idea too. He can layer the above meat with eggplant and tomato sauce. Cashew cream optional. Bake until hot.

Vegan chopped liver with mushrooms and walnuts. Delicious over matzah. Filling protein. Skip the herbs and season as he wishes if that's easier for him.
https://itdoesnttastelikechick.....pate/

On shabbos make a potato kugel cholent that's parve.

greenfire

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 7:47 am
last year we made cauliflower rice with fresh diced parsley

mushroom balls with pecans & fried onions ground up & baked after shaping

avocado chocolate mousse
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics