Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
2 sons live outside home. No seders with them this year?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 11:35 am
I'm having this debate with myself. We have been very strict about abiding by social distancing and 6 ft apart from people we may greet should we see them in passing. We have 3 children at home, Kein Ayin Hora. Both my adult sons live in an apartment (we live in same city) and one works out in the world and sees people everyday who he may come across and may have cold symptoms, illness etc. COVID or not; nobody knows. The other can work from home. But the first son had some sore of short lived fever a few weeks ago and went away after a day. He has had a mild cough ever since. He feels fine otherwise and of course can't get tested for COVID. (Surprisingly, though his work is considered essential as are all the people he works with, the organization doesn't seem to care that people come in with mild symptoms).
So, my dilemma is to decide to not have them come for seders and I can't imagine it.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 11:39 am
It sounds very hard, but unfortunately for the health of both your family and the kahal, they should not be with you for Seder.
Please G-d, everyone should be well, and you will all have Seder together next year, and in 10 years you will all look back and remember the crazy Pesach of 2020.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 11:39 am
How old are you? Do any of you at home have any medical conditions that make you particularly vulnerable?

Worst case scenario, you could cook for them and leave them food. They might enjoy a brother-only Seder.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 11:40 am
I think it's the right decision, although I know it will be hard for you and them Sad Can you at least cook for them/send them the supplies they need so they'll feel you there in spirit and it won't be so overwhelming?

icedcoffee

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 11:40 am
Seems like most of us are doing things we can't imagine this year. Maybe you can drop off food for them, but you should tell them asap so they can make arrangements for themselves.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 11:43 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
How old are you? Do any of you at home have any medical conditions that make you particularly vulnerable?

Worst case scenario, you could cook for them and leave them food. They might enjoy a brother-only Seder.

Sorry to be that person, but have you not kept up with the journal article.
Age does not make you impervious to the disease. Even if you do not show symptoms or your symptoms are mild you can spread the disease. Do not justify violating quarantine with rationalizations of age and preexisting conditions. STAY HOME.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 4:01 pm
Thanks for the input. If we had pre-exisiting conditions, I don't think I'd have as hard a time. But rationally, I know this virus can affect anyone and it can go bad quickly...

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 4:29 pm
are they single? will they have a seder?

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 4:37 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
are they single? will they have a seder?

I'm guessing that they are. If they were married, they would have their own seder in their own home.

OP, do they live together? If so, they can do the seder together.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 4:50 pm
They are single and share an apt. Aside from when they were in Israel, they haven’t missed seders.

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 4:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
They are single and share an apt. Aside from when they were in Israel, they haven’t missed seders.

Well, at least they can keep each other company!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 5:32 pm
DrMom wrote:

Yes. True.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 5:40 pm
DrMom wrote:

This. My son is single, living in NY on his own, and will have to do the seder all alone. We live in Israel.

We do have close family in NY who he is very close with, but it is obvious to all of us that he won't be going there for the seder. (Even though they are only in their early forties. They have not invited and I wouldn't expect nor want them to. They feel really bad, but it is what it is).

So your sons are lucky to be together.

thriver

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 5:45 pm
Same. I have a very close single friend who cannot go to her widowed father and not to anyone else. He is alone. She is alone. It’s heartbreaking. 💔

Learning

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 11:34 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?.....share
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics