Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Emergency - need someone to come into my house

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 12:16 pm
Please back up with cites if you have

1. Am I safe if the worker wears a mask and gloves?

2. How long can coronavirus stay in the air?

3 If my family is not wearing a mask, are they dangerous to me?

southernbubby

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 12:23 pm
I can't figure out how to do links on the phone but everything that I read last night suggests that masks do reduce risk.
You can open the windows to air out the house and use disinfectant wipes or sprays on areas touched by workers or infected people.
Obviously people need a space of 6 feet from other people.
Everything is a matter of attempting to reduce risk.
In the absence of masks, use bandanas and scarves. Instructions abound for DIY masks.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 12:24 pm
Most repair guys have masks. Maintain distance. Wipe down everything with lysoil once they leave. Keep your kids away, in their bedroom

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 12:29 pm
If the virus lingers in the air,or sheds else on their body, or the mask isn't fit properly, how long until the air is safe to breath?

Amarante

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 1:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If the virus lingers in the air,or sheds else on their body, or the mask isn't fit properly, how long until the air is safe to breath?

No one really can say with certainty but generally it is thought that anything in the air settles within 15 to 30 minutes at most. The real danger is if someone coughs/sneezes and or you are close enough to breathe in the air.

And of course, surfaces that an infected person might have touched or in the case of a repairman where he might have put his equipment etc. In Los Angeles, one is no longer allowed to use a recyclable bag in the grocery store because of the risk of contamination from the bag to every surface it touches including a bagger's hands.

As others have posted, have him wear a mask and make sure you clean every surface in the path he traveled in. If it wouldn't be totally inappropriate perhaps he would remove his shoes although sometimes this is not possible because they need shoes for safety reasons.

Obviously if he is coughing don't let him in. I feel for you because I look around and hope that nothing needs to be fixed between now and June 1 Very Happy I breathe a sigh of relief when the toilets flush; the water goes down the drain and the lights go on.

tichellady

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 1:33 pm
Also leave windows open to air everything out

imasinger

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 1:43 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Please back up with cites if you have

1. Am I safe if the worker wears a mask and gloves?

Masks are a good idea.
https://www.maskssavelives.org.....ruCjc

But you still might consider taking further precautions. For greatest care, wipe down with disinfectant the surfaces in the room worker would be in, so as to minimize the risk to him. Stay out of the room where he is working. Wait for airborne particles to settle. Wipe surfaces again with antiseptic. Think also about floors.

Quote:
2. How long can coronavirus stay in the air?

This expert says a few hours; others have said a shorter time.

https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/03/20.....aces/

Quote:
3 If my family is not wearing a mask, are they dangerous to me?

That depends. Do they have the virus? If so, what kind of precautions is everyone taking?

amother
Copper

A dr told my elderly neighbor she should not enter areas others entered for 3 days. Even if others wore gloves and masks.
Her children’s pesach dishes will stay in her basement for pesach...

amother
Saddlebrown

Some studies showed it was in the air for up to 3 hours. I'd just not go in that room for several hours if possible and spray lysol and clean up the room.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 2:20 pm
My husband has to go to peoples houses for emergencies.
He only goes in if no one in the house has any symptoms, he doesn't allow anyone next to him whilst he works, he wears a mask and gloves (always has anyway) and take his temperature every single morning before going to work.

I would recommend to also clean the area where he was in after he leaves. Lysol, wipe down etc, open windows, and send up a prayer. If you need an emergency you need an emergency. Not much else you can do about it.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 6:36 pm
Amarante wrote:
If it wouldn't be totally inappropriate perhaps he would remove his shoes although sometimes this is not possible because they need shoes for safety reasons.

I keep a bag of disposable shoe covers at the entry door for workers - never dreamed they would be needed for something like this. Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics