Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you cover your countertops with aluminum?
1  2  Next

happy chick

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 4:06 pm
I was at the hardware store today and they have heavy duty aluminum (kinda like a flexible blech), and someone told me she covers her countertops w it. Has anyone ever done that?
I usually use corregated plastic , but they're very hard to cut. Any other ideas for easy/cheap way to cover up?

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 4:46 pm
Last year we did the corrugated plastic which is pretty time consuming to install. This year we’re going to do what my grandmother does. Cover with heavy plastic tablecloth that the stores sells on the roll. sealed with waterproof tape hopefully it’ll work well.

lilies

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 4:59 pm
Aluminum plus heavy plastic or just spread simple plastic tablecloth before using, each time.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 5:01 pm
Posted on other threads: Vinyl peel and stick floor tiles. Easy to put on and cut to size, looks nice, easy to wipe clean, very cheap ($12 for a pack of 20, 12" x 12" tiles on Amazon). I put on a quick layer of foil first so I'm not sticking them directly to the counter.

sky

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 5:03 pm
We use heavy clear plastic

Petra

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 5:31 pm
We use aluminum. Have to do extra layers in the high use spots due to tears. It's easy to get gouges and tears in but we patch with clear packing tape when able. And use painting tape so that peeling it off doesn't mean peeling off paint from cabinets. We have never done it any other way. We get the heavy duty aluminum foil on big roll from Costco and it lasts us for a few years.

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 5:41 pm
I use contact paper. I hope I have enough because if not I'm not sure I'll be able to get more.

happy chick

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 5:43 pm
seeker wrote:
I use contact paper. I hope I have enough because if not I'm not sure I'll be able to get more.

And it comes off well after pesach? It doesn't leave sticky residue?

amother
Ivory

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 6:03 pm
I just use dollar store disposable tablecloths doubled and taped with masking tape. Easy to clean and dispose of after. I bought a 12 pack on Amazon this year.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 6:50 pm
Please AYLOR. I was told plastic is better than foil in terms of bliyos.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 7:29 pm
My plan this year is to use press'n'seal.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 7:32 pm
I have counter covers that I use every year.

pause

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 9:40 pm
We use the corrugated plastic, cut once and reuse year after year.

imabima

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 9:46 pm
I use linoleum flooring, bought from Home Depot in a roll, cut once and used for YEARS. also super fast to put on and take off and very durable. Don't have to worry about tearing, putting down hot puts on top, etc. So happy to use this and not worry about it!

themom

Post Tue, Mar 31 2020, 9:49 pm
I also bought cheap linoleum from Home Depot. It’s great- I use the same ones every year, and roll it up to store it.

zaq

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 2:09 pm
themom wrote:
I also bought cheap linoleum from Home Depot. It’s great- I use the same ones every year, and roll it up to store it.

I cut a remnant of linoleum to size and shape of my counter. Been using it for 20+ years. It takes up almost no space in the Pesach closet.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 2:21 pm
I buy wide plastic shelving paper? from the container store I buy it every year some pieces last

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 2:34 pm
Contractor garbage bags are cheap, easy, and strong. Use the contractor size. They are not heat-proof. Tape down the spots by the sink with duct tape to make a seal.

Over many years we have also tried contact paper, flannel back tablecloths, upholstery vinyl... last year DH made reusable counter covers by cutting laminate sheets and gluing them to 1/4" plywood. Works great and are heatproof up to about 275° — the laminate is the same stuff used in regular laminate countertops. But you have to be pretty handy to make them DIY, and we had to special order the laminate sheets.

zoom

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 6:31 pm
does anyone know if the corrugated plastic is ok to put hot pots down on??
and put a hotplate on?
thanks so much

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 6:40 pm
It is not heatproof, I've had it deform with hot pots. Use a trivet or towel underneath.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics