Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Buying takeout is it safe?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 9:36 am
Does anyone know if buying takeout for supper is safe to eat. Every day new rules are coming out that they didn’t know before. So I’m wondering I’m making pesach for the first time and it’s going to be overwhelming next week so if I buy takeout for supper my life will be easier but obviously safety is first.

My concerns are what if the person who cooked the food has corona and he doesn’t know yet can it pass on to the food. I understand if we would freeze then reheat the germs would be killed but usually take out for supper we eat right away. Is it possible for germs to be on food and then we eat the germs so it’s in the system? Does anyone know? Was there a study done on this?

Also the wearing of gloves I’m finding it useless In workers unless they keep changing their gloves because a worker wipes his face and continues cooking food he protected himself but not the food? Do I make sense. Is anyone else scared to eat take out? It’s so overwhelming having to do it all a little break would make life easier.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 9:47 am
The last that I read is that food that you can microwave is safe because a minute or two in the microwave will kill the virus.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 10:02 am
I’m talking about eating it fresh my kids don’t like takeout re warmed. Can we eat it piping hot straight?

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 10:03 am
Heat kills the virus. So microwave the food if it's in paper or plastic containers (as suggested by SouthernBubby) or put the food in the oven for a bit until it's really hot — you can preheat the oven beforehand so it won't take as long to heat up.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 10:03 am
Food itself is fine
Handle packaging with gloves before reheating.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 10:33 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m talking about eating it fresh my kids don’t like takeout re warmed. Can we eat it piping hot straight?

Probably low risk but tomorrow they may say something else. No body can or should give anyone false assurances. We can only go with what health officials currently advise. Google the topic and see what it says.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 10:38 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

My kids the same. I don’t show them that I ea it up. I take it out of the box and warm it up in a paper plate. I don’t put it back in the box because it might be contaminated. It is a big job so idk if it is worth getting a takeout even

Simple1

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 10:40 am
I also wanted to do take out meals and have the same concerns. I hear them saying food is safe, but what does that mean and how does that work? What if the got germs on the food - it's not to hard to imagine a few behind the scene scenarios.

And if I'm paying for take out, I don't want to bother with reheating, especially in the middle of pesach cleaning the kitchen.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 10:44 am
I ordered pizza yesterday and had them only 1/2 cook my pie.
I finished baking it at home. Not as good, but safety first.

israelmama

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 10:45 am
I read somewhere that the virus can’t get onto the food and it lasts one hour on cardboard

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 10:46 am
Simple1 wrote:
I also wanted to do take out meals and have the same concerns. I hear them saying food is safe, but what does that mean and how does that work? What if the got germs on the food - it's not to hard to imagine a few behind the scene scenarios.

And if I'm paying for take out, I don't want to bother with reheating, especially in the middle of pesach cleaning the kitchen.

The virus lives diff depending on material.
Longest on Metal and plastic.
Much shorter on cardboard and twine.
Not on food
So you have to handle packaging with gloves. Wash hands after.
Reheat to be absolutely safe.

agreer

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 1:25 pm
So is anyone eating sushi? My local sushi store is open and begging for business and I really want. But I'm afraid.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 1:41 pm
israelmama wrote:
I read somewhere that the virus can’t get onto the food and it lasts one hour on cardboard

24 hours on cardboard.

We are minimizing ordering from takeout because we are too scared.
I only order what can be reheated in the oven. Even if it comes hot.
I take it in with gloves. Discard any plastic, cutlery or boxes.
I stick everything into the oven on 350 till it's truly piping hot.
Only ordered twice since quarantining almost 3 weeks ago.

asmileaday

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 1:41 pm
agreer wrote:
So is anyone eating sushi? My local sushi store is open and begging for business and I really want. But I'm afraid.

I wouldn't order Sushi.

etky

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 1:54 pm
I cook for my father and send the food over to him.
I only send food that can be reheated in the microwave even though we are 'sheltering' at home and not going out. Just to be safe...
I also instructed him to wash his hands well after handling the containers that I pack the food in - again, just to be on the safe side.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 1:58 pm
Simple1 wrote:

True I didn’t even if that the point of buying takeout is that the kids eat chometz suppers and my kids is pesachdik. If I have to reheat the food where would I do that.

I guess it will be easier to just buy franks or make plain chicken. I will have to figure this out.

It’s scary but it’s so easy for the food to get contaminated especially if a person can be a carrier of the virus and they don’t know. They by mistake scratch their face as they are putting the food in your container. They sneeze anything can happen in a second.

This virus is too much pressure.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 1:59 pm
israelmama wrote:

Originally they said virus last six hours on surfaces now they are saying it can let twenty four hours so when you get home from the grocery wipe everything container down.

etky

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 2:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Originally they said virus last six hours on surfaces now they are saying it can let twenty four hours so when you get home from the grocery wipe everything container down.

We find it easier to just leave the dry goods in the shopping bags, untouched for at least 3 days.
If we need something before then we wipe it down.
Dairy + other perishables go into the fridge in a plastic bag and are also left alone for at least 3 days.
Same with frozen items.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 2:15 pm
I read you should wash youre hands after taking in the mail \
at my local post office two people tested for carona and five supermakets closed because of carona employess shoprite and trader joes
mu husband was tested and has it im being tested friday

Miri1

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 3:13 pm
etky wrote:
We find it easier to just leave the dry goods in the shopping bags, untouched for at least 3 days.
If we need something before then we wipe it down.
Dairy + other perishables go into the fridge in a plastic bag and are also left alone for at least 3 days.
Same with frozen items.

I think the fridge slows the deterioration of the virus.
I've been transferring packs of eggs to a separate container, as I use them.
I have lots of stuff in my Pesachdig fridge now but plan to wipe it all down, even though three days have passed because I'm concerned the cold inhibits the process.
Moreso the freezer I'd expect.

Last edited by Miri1 on Thu, Apr 02 2020, 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics