Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Are you allowed to wear a mask outside on Shabbos?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 11:01 am
The present situation has created lots of new halachic questions that never came up before. From my seat at the Shabbos table, I see the streets outside, which are quite empty these days. As we were noticing the atypical emptiness outside, one of my kids saw someone not Jewish walking by wearing a mask and asked whether a Jew is allowed to walk outside wearing a mask if there's no eiruv.

On the one hand it's somewhat worn on the body like a garment, but on the other hand it's not really a normal piece of clothing and is purely intended to protect your mouth and nose from inhaling germs. Has anyone asked a halachic shaila about this, and what were you told? I don't want to get into a discussion of the value of masks, etc., so please keep responses focused on the potential halachic issue of "carrying" them.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 11:07 am
Where would you be going outside of an eruv these days on shabbos?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 11:10 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:

I live in a place where there is no eruv and may wish to take a walk around the empty block with the kids just to get some fresh air or go wish Good Shabbos to my parents from the street. Please don't let this become another thread discussing whether you're ever allowed to leave the house - we have more than enough of those. I'm just discussing the halachic aspect and would appreciate any responses on that topic only.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 11:11 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I live in a place where there is no eruv and may wish to take a walk around the empty block with the kids just to get some fresh air or go wish Good Shabbos to my parents from the street. Please don't let this become another thread discussing whether you're ever allowed to leave the house - we have more than enough of those. I'm just discussing the halachic aspect and would appreciate any responses on that topic only.

AYLOR halacha

Elfrida

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 11:12 am
I remember learning that sunglasses and gloves (regular winter ones) were considered a problem and should not be worn, because of the high likelihood that you might remove them. If that is accurate, it would certainly apply to masks, because they are not comfortable. Many people who wear them frequently remove them for short intervals just to take a quick break and breathe freely. Then they would certainly be carrying.

As a discussion this may be interesting. If it becomes a practical consideration, one would, of course, have to ask a Rav.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 11:12 am
I am not paskening, but I would think it’s similar to wearing a raincoat or a hat or a Tallis. When there is no Eruv, you can put it on in your house, wear it outside, and take it off when you get to your destination. If you live in a place where there is no Eruv, and want to go for a walk, I would think you would be able to put it in inside, go for your walk, and take it off when you come back.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 11:13 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:

There are places that don’t have an Eruv. If someone wants to go for a walk in one of those areas, this could be a question. Honestly though, I wouldn’t even consider it a question, I would just wear it, because it’s for my health.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 11:15 am
https://anash.org/can-I-wear-a.....bbos/

Based on the above, the mask definitely meets the qualifications of a malbush and possibly a tachshit as well. Thereby permitting it min hatorah. In regards to the concern that Chazal had with items that can possibly fall and cause one to inadvertently carry, this does not apply to a mask which is strapped on firmly with straps

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 11:15 am
Elfrida wrote:
I remember learning that sunglasses and gloves (regular winter ones) were considered a problem and should not be worn, because of the high likelihood that you might remove them. If that is accurate, it would certainly apply to masks, because they are not comfortable. Many people who wear them frequently remove them for short intervals just to take a quick break and breathe freely. Then they would certainly be carrying.

As a discussion this may be interesting. If it becomes a practical consideration, one would, of course, have to ask a Rav.

Gloves in the won’t are a problem? How can that be? It can be dangerous for your hands to get cold.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 11:22 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
Gloves in the won’t are a problem? How can that be? It can be dangerous for your hands to get cold.

Depends where you live and how cold it is. You can always put your hands in your pockets. Growing up in England (without an eruv) gloves tended to be a comfort rather than a necessity. (I hated wearing them, and was glad of the excuse, which is probably why it has stayed in my mind.)

There are probably other views. I'm just mentioning what I remember and extrapolating from that. Having lived with an eruv for the past twenty years, it's a long time since I even thought about it.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 11:22 am
I am not paskening,but I would sooner wear a mask than underwear.

happyone

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 11:25 am
it just may become the new norm. wait until Burberry and Gucci design their masks .

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 11:32 am
I know this doesn’t address your question, but you probably don’t need a mask to take a walk because you hopefully won’t come into close proximity with others.

Simple1

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 11:34 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
I know this doesn’t address your question, but you probably don’t need a mask to take a walk because you hopefully won’t come into close proximity with others.

That's what I was thinking. It's not like you're going shopping.

zaq

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 11:37 am
The OU Halacha Yomis just answered this question the other day. Do a search on the (U) website. https://oukosher.org/halacha-yomis/ Here it is:

Is it permissible to wear a surgical mask and gloves outdoors on Shabbos in an area where there is no eiruv?
Shulchan Aruch (OC 301:37) initially writes that one is permitted to wear gloves outside on Shabbos. However, he notes that there are opinions who do not permit wearing gloves unless they are fastened to the sleeve. The Shulchan Aruch concludes that it is best to be stringent. The Mishnah Berurah (301:138) explains the two positions. Those who allow wearing gloves consider gloves to be an article of clothing and as such, wearing gloves is not considered carrying. The stringent view was concerned that one might remove their gloves if they need fine motor control of their fingers. They might then forget that they removed their gloves and continue carrying them outside. The Mishnah Berurah writes that the custom is to be lenient because the prohibition of carrying in most streets (even without an eiruv) is only rabbinic. However, the Mishnah Berurah recommends being stringent.

Since surgical gloves do not interfere with the fine-motor use of one’s fingers, there is no reason for a person to remove such gloves while walking in the street. It it is therefore logical to assume that even those who forbid wearing regular gloves would agree that it is permissible to wear surgical gloves in the street on Shabbos.

Similarly, Rav Schachter said that a surgical mask can either be considered an article of clothing (since it is placed right against the face), or it can be viewed as a tachshet (an adornment that protects the body). Either way, it may be worn outside on Shabbos even if there is no eiruv. Under the current circumstances, there is no concern that one might remove the mask, forget and continue carrying it in the street.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 12:23 pm
Simple1 wrote:
That's what I was thinking. It's not like you're going shopping.

I was thinking the same thing. I only wear a mask when I’m in an enclosed space with other people and no air (work, subway etc) When I’m outside walking I want to breathe!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics