Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you have a pesach kitchen?
1  2  3  Next

Do you have a Pesach Kitchen?
Yes I do have a pesach kitchen  
 21%  [ 47 ]
No I don't have pesach kitchen and am struggling  
 26%  [ 58 ]
No I don't have one but I'm happy like this  
 52%  [ 116 ]
Total Votes : 221

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 5:47 pm
Just wondering how many of you are coping without a pesach kitchen ?
I'm finding it hard...
DH seems to think most people don't have one so I'm just going to take a poll..

Hatemywig

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 5:49 pm
I think you should add another option:

No, I don't have a Pesach kitchen

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 5:49 pm
I don't, but I do have a Pesach stove that I take out of storage before Pesach, which is half the work right there. I also have Pesach plastic shelving units that I take out so I don't have to clean any cabinets or drawers or shelves. So I just kasher the sink and counter, cover, and I'm ready to go.

I didn't vote, because I feel like I do have half a Pesach kitchen because of that!

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 6:13 pm
I turn over my kitchen. I never found it to be too difficult.
My mother has a pesach kitchen and she was always a nervous wreck before pesach screaming at everyone not to come into the pesach kitchen with chametz.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 6:16 pm
In my opinion it's more stressful without one. Wouldn't you agree?
Or do you think it's a personality thing?

My mum had one since she got married. I need to do without and I'm resentful.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 6:19 pm
The only thing I'd like one for is that now, while I'm not cleaning anything, because all I have left is my kitchen to turn over, and I'm not cooking, because I don't want to turn over yet, I would've used the time wisely to start cooking. But I don't have a large family, so I'm chilled. And I have more time this year because of forced "vacation", though I do have to spend more time with my kids...

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 6:19 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I think it's less stressful no pesach kitchen. Because once I turn over the kitchen the house is totally chametz free. I don't have to worry about someone bringing in chametz into the kitchen.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 6:21 pm
No, ma'am.
I convert my guest room into a temporary chometz kitchen with plug in appliances (toasters, burners, mini fridge etc). If it's nice out, we'll have a backyard bbq using my grill.
I've always done it this way. It's actually really fun!
If you're in a pinch, I've made grilled cheese with a clothing iron.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 6:33 pm
I don’t have one. It would be much easier with, but we do what we gotta do

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 6:35 pm
Honey, not everyone in the world even has ROOM for a Pesach kitchen.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 7:16 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
Honey, not everyone in the world even has ROOM for a Pesach kitchen.

In some communities everyone has even those that rent. It's more common than not where I live.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 7:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I never had one, so I don’t know the difference. I don’t find it hard at all. I make my menus after Purim, make my shopping list about a week and a half before pesach (aside for my meat, which I order when my butcher tells me to) and then turn over my kitchen within a week before Pesach. I’m kashering tonight, going shopping tomorrow, and cooking Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. I’ll probably have a little bit to cook on Wednesday, but I hope to be mostly done so I can just prep for the Seder and not be over exhausted when we start the Seder.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 7:24 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
In some communities everyone has even those that rent. It's more common than not where I live.

How big are these rentals?

SuperWify

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 7:25 pm
Never dreamt I would need one 😝

tweety1

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 7:30 pm
I have now for the first time. It's the best thing ever. Makes life so much easier.

lamplighter

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 8:39 pm
I have a pesach kitchen for the past 2 years. It makes a huge difference for me.
There is no turning over in our house. We eat in the chometz kitchen until erev pesach. close up shop and then use the pesach kitchen for pesach. If Im particularly ambitious I cook a few days in advance.

Before we had a pesach kitchen, there were was so much stress around when to turn over, what to feed everyone, kashering and covering everything, setting up the kitchen, pack it away etc. I have none of this now BH.

max

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 8:42 pm
No but I have always wanted one however at this point grateful to have a roof over our head in our tiny apartment would be awesome but not unmanageable just takes careful planning realistically even those who are fortunate enough to have them today I bet you a quarter their bubbies did not!!

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 8:44 pm
I have a pesach kitchen and do not use it. I find it easier to turnover my regular kitchen.
I do store stuff in it.

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 8:48 pm
I don't have one and didn't grow up with one either, so I guess lower expectations. It sounds amazing, but truthfully if I had an extra room in my house there are many uses that would take priority over a pesach kitchen.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Apr 01 2020, 10:06 pm
lamplighter wrote:
I have a pesach kitchen for the past 2 years. It makes a huge difference for me.
There is no turning over in our house. We eat in the chometz kitchen until erev pesach. close up shop and then use the pesach kitchen for pesach. If Im particularly ambitious I cook a few days in advance.

Before we had a pesach kitchen, there were was so much stress around when to turn over, what to feed everyone, kashering and covering everything, setting up the kitchen, pack it away etc. I have none of this now BH.

My kitchen can’t be closed off. One there’s no door, and two then no one can go in and out the back door, which is a pain when I go shopping. It means I have to schlep the groceries from the front of my house all the way to the back. If I had a pesach kitchen, it would be in my basement, but I would still kasher my regular kitchen.
My mother in law has a pesach Wall in closet, which, among other things, has her appliance. It’s in her basement, and she still kashers her regular kitchen. Her kitchen, like mine, is right next to the dining room, which is very convenient for washing, clearing, serving, etc.
Where is your pesach kitchen, in comparison to the rest of your house? Is it convenient?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics