Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Kashering stove top grates

twolilgirlies

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 12:35 am
I've asked people what they do and was told they put the grates in their oven on self clean to kasher it for pesach.

I have a wall oven and my grates on my cooktop have rubber 'legs' how would I stick that into my oven? I don't want to ruin my grates.

any ideas?

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 12:49 am
My Rav said to put a pot of water on the flame and put it on the highest flame for 20 minutes and then it's kashered. But you must do it for all four or five burners.
You can put it in the self clean but I can ruin it.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 6:28 am
Turn each burner on high, with a stone in the fire, until it gets red hot. One at a time (if you have one stone).

thanks

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 7:20 am
Cover with a blech, and turn on high for 1/2 hr.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:18 am
Quote:
Cover with a blech, and turn on high for 1/2 hr.
That can be dangerous & likely to melt the electronics on the back of the stove (trust me, I KNOW!)

We always thought that the blech method kashers the enamel surface, turns out, it doesnt. Rabbi Forchheimer told DH not to do that. Boiling a pot on each grate is enough.

DD was questioning if the edges of the grate past the flame will get kashered. (So fine for cooking on stovetop, but can you take your hot food out of the oven and put it on top of the stove, say in teh middle, where it's touching parts of the grates that were not directly in the flame?)

DS explained that you can put a little piece of paper on the edge (VEEERY CAREFULLY) & if it burns up, the grate was hot enough to get kashered.

(of course he's not a posek so please CYLOR)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics