Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Do/did u have a child on an SSRI for anxiety? Im terrified
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 8:18 am
My 12 year old might need to start medication for anxiety. We will be seeing a psychiatrist later today. Anything I shud be aware of? Any meds better than others?
Secondly, the reason he needs meds is to get the therapy to work for him. I am insanely nervous about this. I never thought in a million years that I'd be putting my child on meds. Im crying. Im so afraid of meds that mess with the brain. Pls! Can anyone share a positive experience? Was your child able to get off meds eventually? Did it takes many tries to get it right? How about side effects? Ty!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 8:24 am
Op here
Just wanted to add that on the outside he seems perfect! Nobody would ever dream this kid has issues. He's an adorable kid. I really don't want him on meds for longterm! Is that possible? Is there such a thing as being on meds temporarily to just rewire the brain? His mind/brain is so wired to be anxious that he cant get out of it. Would meds help reset that?

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 8:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My 12 year old might need to start medication for anxiety. We will be seeing a psychiatrist later today. Anything I shud be aware of? Any meds better than others?
Secondly, the reason he needs meds is to get the therapy to work for him. I am insanely nervous about this. I never thought in a million years that I'd be putting my child on meds. Im crying. Im so afraid of meds that mess with the brain. Pls! Can anyone share a positive experience? Was your child able to get off meds eventually? Did it takes many tries to get it right? How about side effects? Ty!

My DD was diagnosed with a mood disorder as a teen. It's a few years since and bh she is doing very well.

I just want to validate your own feelings. I remember the day she started meds - I was terrified. I can't describe the feeling - I cried all day. I was actually even scared she would die, or something terrible would happen to her. bh she's fine.

Hug

My child is not able to get off the meds - her brain needs them to function normally - a mood disorder is like their brain is missing a chemical it needs to process, like diabetic people need insulin. bh there are meds to help her. bh she is able to function like a normal, popular teen..no one who knows her would dream that she is on meds. I'm glad the help she needs exists.

It did take some tries to get the combination right....bh she didn't have any bad side effects.

our experience is not the same but just wanted to reach out anyway. Your child will be okay I'h. stay strong.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 8:35 am
Untreated mental illness is much more dangerous than the possible side effects of medication.

My 16yo DD started 25mg of Zoloft. A month later, her grades started improving, she stopped "joking around" about wanting to die, and most importantly, she stopped self harming.

She is now happy and functional, has good friends, and last semester she got a B+ average for the first time in her life.

She doesn't ever want to go off of her meds, and only wishes she had started sooner.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 8:39 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Untreated mental illness is much more dangerous than the possible side effects of medication.

She doesn't ever want to go off of her meds, and only wishes she had started sooner.

This....

my child is terrified to ever have the symptoms (horrible, uncontrollable racing thoughts that allowed her no sleep, no respite) again. she is fully compliant with meds. the doctor promised her it would never happen again if she sticks to it.

I can't think what could have happened if we wouldn't have taken her right away when we realized something wasn't right.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 8:42 am
Tnx everyone
Im really looking for positive experiences where when combined with therapy - your child was able to get off the medication. Ty

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 8:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Tnx everyone
Im really looking for positive experiences where when combined with therapy - your child was able to get off the medication. Ty

sometimes they can. and sometimes something biological is going on in their bodies and they can't. Hashem made them.

The goal should always be that your child should live a healthy life. If that can be with going of meds thats great. If not, that's Hashem's plan.

therapy helped my child alot too. Not to go off meds. but to accept herself and be healthy and self aware, and to realize she can live totally normally.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 8:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Tnx everyone

I should have mentioned that DD is in weekly therapy, and as soon as she turns 18 she is going to join a DBT group. She be in one now, but she can't find a group that takes minors.

Some people's brains do not produce as much chemicals as are needed for the person to function properly. Replacing those chemicals is not a weakness or an addiction.

If a person needs meds forever, there is no shame in that. If they want to try and taper off, or switch medication, or add a different medication, they should be able to make that choice, too. As long as they are under a doctor's supervision, and have all the facts, that's the main thing.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 8:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Tnx everyone

I have positive stories about putting children on meds but they are not off meds yet. They are doing so well no reason to take them off and be sq. 1

Make sure child gets mood stabilizer before the ssri.
If a child gets ssri without mood stab. it can cause a manic episode.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 8:51 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I have positive stories about putting children on meds but they are not off meds yet. They are doing so well no reason to take them off and be sq. 1

Make sure child gets mood stabilizer before the ssri.
If a child gets ssri without mood stab. it can cause a manic episode.

Thats for EVERY child? Even if there's no history of bipolar?

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 8:55 am
We had this. We had very good results for my DD, now 10. We are now in the process of weaning her off. BUT that’s partially due to changes we made with her ADHD medication that made us realize that much of her anxiety was likely because of her ADHD. So now with her new medication we are ready to take her off the SSRI (slowly...), because we think she will be just fine without.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 8:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes that's my dr opinion
No history of BP

Ellie7

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 8:58 am
I know it’s scary to start on meds, but kol hakavod for doing the right thing for your child. I also think that for now you just need to focus on getting on the meds and what he needs now. Then, once he’s in a better place, you can start doing research on taking him off. But also acknowledge that if he needs to stay on meds long-term, it’s really ok.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Only if there's a family history of bipolar.

Plenty of people take SSRI's safely without a mood stabilizer, if there's no reason to.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:03 am
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Only if there's a family history of bipolar.

Plenty of people take SSRI's safely without a mood stabilizer, if there's no reason to.

How can you know if there's history or not when child is 12
Nonsense

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:05 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Tnx everyone

Why is it important to you for him to be off the medication in the future? If it's due shidduch purposes, please change your way of thinking now.

Should someone diagnosed with diabetes type 1 today think about getting off medication? Should someone with Compromised kidney function think about getting off medication?

The brain is as much a part of the body as a pancreas or kidney. If there's something wrong in the brain, it should be treated for as long as it needs treatment, which may be forever.

Perhaps you need your own therapy to deal with your issues regarding long-term medication.

And I speak from my own experience. I had terrible anxiety in my early 20s. I was on ssri and it was great. But I started dating and went off. I got married. Anxiety came back much, much worse. It was a foolish thing to do but I had zero guidance. I just didn't want to tell a prospective spouse about it. But oh did he find out. It was not good.

I went on Ssri again for a few years. Then I went off to get pregnant. Worst thing ever. I went back on as soon as I could and bh feel so much better. It took a while for me to realize that my brain is different. My brain needs something it can only get from meditation. My psychiatrist helped me realize this.

My mom feels like you do. She thinks I can just talk it out of myself and stop my medication anytime I want. (it's been 11 years.) I can't tell you how terrible it feels to be so not understood. Please don't be that mother.

If I were you, I would take it one day at a time. Don't deprive your child of what he needs because of your needs.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:09 am
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
How can you know if there's history or not when child is 12
Nonsense

family history. parents, aunts, uncles, grandparents, siblings, etc...

some families are aware that others in their family had it.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:11 am
Burgundy Applause

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 11:09 am
Can kids take buspar?

oneofakind

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 11:20 am
Just make sure you are going to a good child psychiatrist.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children