Home

Tips and tricks for first timers
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


imasinger




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Apr 02 2020, 5:32 pm
Because, like the last of the 4 sons, we don't always know what to ask.

Here are a few of mine:

- If you've bought new dishes or cookware, consider buying dishpacks for storage after Pesach. It keeps things clean and lowers chance of breakage. Every year, when I pull out clean, ready to use stuff, I bless my MIL, a"h, for teaching me this.

- When kashering silverware, put in a couple of extra forks and spoons, and designate them as pareve (I put masking tape on them). Useful for beating scrambled eggs, mixing small quantities.

- Keep a written record of where you put things when you're clearing out space for Pesach stuff. It's easy to forget when YT is done.

- In fact, make lots of lists! Menus, ingredients, notes for next year on what worked and what didn't. There's a lot to remember; the more you have it organized in writing, the better the odds you'll remember.

Who else has wisdom to share?
Back to top

sky




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Apr 02 2020, 5:37 pm
Write down everything. You will forget next year.

- record every single kitchen item you own - save list from year to year
- save your menus and shopping lists
- record what was a hit and what wasn’t
- record the answers to Sheilos you ask.
- write down family minhagim (how do you setup Seder plate, diff customs.) I save this in the k’arah
-Write down on recipes a score, comments and notes.


Label every single kitchen item clearly for dairy or meat. You will forget next year.
Back to top

amother




Sienna
 

Post  Thu, Apr 02 2020, 5:46 pm
My strategy is going to be matza and cream cheese sandwiches. Lots and lots of matza and cream cheese sandwiches.

Meat meals will be baked or boiled chicken, potato and carrots.

Keeping it real simple.
Back to top

Ema of 4




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Apr 02 2020, 5:54 pm
My strategy is to keep it simple. I’m not cooking anything for Seder night- it’s going to be meat in a pot on the stove, and chicken from the soup, and potatoes. The day meals will be a meat (my husband) a chicken (I DONT like meat) and two or three sides that can be used for both day meals.
Back to top

lilies




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Apr 02 2020, 5:56 pm
Consider buying a griddle.
Back to top

little neshamala




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Apr 02 2020, 6:08 pm
I totally agree about recording everything for next year!
I have a whole pesach binder, in sheet protectors.
I write down the answers to any shayla I asked, I wrote down exactly how many potato kugels etc we went through, how many boxes of matzah etc...I write what ingredients ive packed away, what we need to buy more of for next year..I keep my menus there too.

I also find it very helpful to have a lot of the following on hand, for kids and adults alike:
Boiled potatos
Boiled eggs
Cooked Hotdogs!! Totally saves us. We just keep them in the fridge
If possible, extra veggie and potato kugels for snacking.
My main rule-never let people get hungry. Kids or adults. Otherwise the crankiness will drive you mad.

Oh oh and-try to start the seder immediately. The faster you start, the more awake time you have at the seder and the more enjoyable it is.
And If youve got the time, and you feel it will help, consider preparing the portions of lettuce marror in advance.

And make sure you know where the cork opener is for the seder! (Ha! Make sure you have one!)
Back to top

challahchallah




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Apr 02 2020, 6:13 pm
imasinger wrote:
If you've bought new dishes or cookware, consider buying dishpacks for storage after Pesach. It keeps things clean and lowers chance of breakage. Every year, when I pull out clean, ready to use stuff, I bless my MIL, a"h, for teaching me this.


What’s a dishpack? Do you have a link?
Back to top

keym




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Apr 02 2020, 6:29 pm
Label everything milchig, fleishig, Parve. I use tape.

Don't forget the sponges, dishracks, drainers, etc.

I agree with little Neshame'le. Lots of easy to eat food, hard boiled eggs, apples, oranges, cheese. Hungry kids are impossible.
Back to top

sky




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Apr 02 2020, 6:40 pm
I Agree with all of little Neshamala’s post.

We write down amounts of matzah, wine, marrror bought. How much was left over. How many eaters.
How much of ingredients did we actually use.
How much counter covers I really needed (and did I like it).
Seriously I really never remember.

I also heat hot dogs and French fries for hungry eaters. And frozen broccoli. If you eat ready made food it’s a huge help.

I make tons of potatoes and eggs for the Seder and keep the extra in the fridge for quick snacks.

If you have old enough kids get lots of peelers. Kids love to peel for pesach.
Back to top

amother




Ecru
 

Post  Thu, Apr 02 2020, 6:44 pm
For those of us who don't plan on making Pesach again for the next 15 years don't bother writing everything down! It won't really matter how much Matzah you, your husband, and your baby ate this Pesach!
Back to top

allthingsblue




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Apr 02 2020, 7:22 pm
Make oven-baked recipes (meats, chickens)- no washing pots necessary.
Make one bowl, no mixer cakes/cookies.
Buy the shallow 9x13 so you can stock your freezer with more items.
Prepare items for Seder 1 and Seder 2 in separate bags, the night before pesach. (I hope this won't be noegeia for this year- I hope Moshiach will be here beforehand!)
Back to top

Ema of 4




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Apr 02 2020, 7:35 pm
little neshamala wrote:
I totally agree about recording everything for next year!
I have a whole pesach binder, in sheet protectors.
I write down the answers to any shayla I asked, I wrote down exactly how many potato kugels etc we went through, how many boxes of matzah etc...I write what ingredients ive packed away, what we need to buy more of for next year..I keep my menus there too.

I also find it very helpful to have a lot of the following on hand, for kids and adults alike:
Boiled potatos
Boiled eggs
Cooked Hotdogs!! Totally saves us. We just keep them in the fridge
If possible, extra veggie and potato kugels for snacking.
My main rule-never let people get hungry. Kids or adults. Otherwise the crankiness will drive you mad.

Oh oh and-try to start the seder immediately. The faster you start, the more awake time you have at the seder and the more enjoyable it is.
And If youve got the time, and you feel it will help, consider preparing the portions of lettuce marror in advance.

And make sure you know where the cork opener is for the seder! (Ha! Make sure you have one!)

I have a binder AND a notebook!
I literally wrote down everything!! How much I bought, if it was enough, if I needed more, what goes in which box and cabinet....
Also, we have huge pans of salmon and potatoes sitting in the kitchen or dining room all day, and later in the afternoon, there’s kugel too.
Back to top

trixx




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Apr 02 2020, 7:53 pm
Let's start with only using disposable for dairy.
Back to top

oneofakind




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Apr 02 2020, 8:53 pm
Get an electric food scale and weigh your kezaysim for matza and maror on Erev Pesach. Much more accurate than those charts. You end using less and your seder will go faster because everything is pre measured and in baggies.
Back to top

imasinger




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Apr 03 2020, 6:47 am
Oneofakind, that's great if you're sefardi. Apparently, sefardim measure a kezayis by weight, ashkenazim by volume. Who knew?

https://www.halachipedia.com/I.....lacha
Quote:
According to Ashkenazim, all sizes are measured in volume and not weight.[5] However, according to Sephardim the actual halacha is that measures are in volume but the minhag is to follow the measures in weight. [6]



Challahchallah, dishpack link -- like these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003.....YSQF6

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c.....aw.ds
Back to top

FranticFrummie




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Apr 03 2020, 8:50 am
For me, the big thing is to keep track of what I didn't have enough of at the end of the week, and what I had too much left over. That helps me make the next year's budget much more accurate.

Have a running list of things you wish you'd remembered when you were doing your pre-Pesach shopping, but ended up running to the store chol hamoed for.
Back to top

imasinger




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Apr 03 2020, 10:29 am
It took me a few years to come into this century, but I have now moved from binders/folders to spreadsheets, Google Keep lists, and Google docs.

Makes life a lot easier.
Back to top

Ema of 4




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Apr 03 2020, 10:31 am
imasinger wrote:
Oneofakind, that's great if you're sefardi. Apparently, sefardim measure a kezayis by weight, ashkenazim by volume. Who knew?

https://www.halachipedia.com/I.....lacha
Quote:
According to Ashkenazim, all sizes are measured in volume and not weight.[5] However, according to Sephardim the actual halacha is that measures are in volume but the minhag is to follow the measures in weight. [6]



Challahchallah, dishpack link -- like these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003.....YSQF6

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c.....aw.ds

We are ashkenazi, and my in laws use a scale for all k’zeisim
Back to top

pause




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Apr 03 2020, 10:32 am
You can make Pesach with a crockpot, single burner, frying pan, stock pot, egg pot, knife, peeler, and ladle. And of course lots of silver foil!

Cook apples for applesauce, let cool. Pour into disposable container.
Use same pot, cook fish, let cool. Pour into disposable pan.
Cook soup. Leave in pot.
In crockpot make meat and cut up veggie for main.
Cook hardboiled eggs in egg pot, refrigerate.
Use frying pan to make pesach'dig lukshen. Use on YT for eggs for brunch.
Done.
Use disposable dishes, cutlery, pans, storage containers...


If you use bought products, buy nosh/snacks. If not, eat lots of fruit.


Last edited by pause on Fri, Apr 03 2020, 10:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top

Ema of 4




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Apr 03 2020, 10:35 am
amother [ Ecru ] wrote:
For those of us who don't plan on making Pesach again for the next 15 years don't bother writing everything down! It won't really matter how much Matzah you, your husband, and your baby ate this Pesach!

I think a lot of people are going to start making pesach at home earlier than they thought they would. I love my in laws and my parents, and I loved going to them for pesach, but once I stayed home, I didn’t want to go back again. Now (aside for this year, obviously) my parents come to us, and I have to tell you, it’s one of the hardest things about making pesach this year. I’ve been doing it for a while, but this year feels so different cuz I’m not doing it together with my mom.
Anyway, back on track. I think that a lot of people will continue to make pesach at home offer this, people who thought they would be going away for years.
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Married at first sight
by amother
0 Tue, Jun 02 2020, 1:03 am View last post
Which lunch pick up should I go to? First time
by amother
1 Mon, Jun 01 2020, 8:23 am View last post
Tips for using electric stove (coil)?
by amother
8 Thu, May 21 2020, 1:39 pm View last post
by iyar
Help buying a sheitel for the first time (and online too) 41 Fri, May 15 2020, 1:35 pm View last post
Married At First Sight
by amother
106 Thu, May 14 2020, 2:54 pm View last post

Jump to: